inkweaver
inkweaver  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:12
French to German
+ ...
Slightly OT Sep 18, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:
When you reply posts, you can find links to some of these Kindergarten stuff in the lower part:

LinkedIn - Twitter - Facebook

Firstly, I think there is a huge difference between Facebook and LinkedIn, which I don't want to elaborate on right now (I think it has been done before).

Secondly, I have opted out of having LinkedIn etc. icons displayed here.

But I certainly like Jack's suggestion...

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:12
French to English
Mischief Sep 18, 2010

Nesrin wrote:
I guess I was still a bit irritated by comments previously made on a Proz forum where people found it hard to imagine that someone over 21 could be using Facebook

Oh, that was me!
http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/179839-facebook_link_in_initial_posts_of_forum_threads.html

I love the indignant self-justification anti-FB remarks sometimes provoke. I'm somehow reminded of, oh, I dunno, claiming to be discussing philosophy if you're caught in a strip club. You're in a venue with a bad reputation in some quarters, and while walking into a stable doesn't make you a horse, there is such a thing as being tainted by association. Bit like being on here, really, for some other people. Live and let live, and all that, but it's worth being aware of these things, doancha think?

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
[Off-topic] Live and let live... Sep 18, 2010

Charlie Bavington wrote:
I love the indignant self-justification anti-FB remarks sometimes provoke. I'm somehow reminded of, oh, I dunno, claiming to be discussing philosophy if you're caught in a strip club. You're in a venue with a bad reputation in some quarters, and while walking into a stable doesn't make you a horse, there is such a thing as being tainted by association. Bit like being on here, really, for some other people. Live and let live, and all that, but it's worth being aware of these things, doancha think?

..as you say.
I'm sorry you've had such bad (personal or third-hand) experience of Facebook, but it wouldn't hurt sometimes to be open-minded and to trust those who say that they're making good use of it to be knowing what they're saying, without putting them down for it and comparig them with strip club visitors

I don't want to be forced into the role of official spokesperson of Facebook fans, however, so that bit ends here for me.

PS Now if there was a "like" button I would've certainly pressed it under Jack's contribution

[Edited at 2010-09-18 16:53 GMT]

Ildiko Santana
Ildiko Santana  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:12
Member (2002)
Hungarian to English
+ ...

communication on the decline Sep 18, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:
people here post when they have something to say, and not otherwise. I'd like that to continue. I'm not interested in whether they like what I say or if they're my friend - I'm interested in what they have to say.

I fully support Sheila's arguments and find it very strange that, of all places here, in a community of professionals whose daily life, work and passion is all about the spoken and written WORDS one would try to find ways to eliminate communication by way of coherent sentences... I, for one, would strongly oppose such feature. I think the only place for these one-click responses that merely indicate one's personal opinion or choice is the "Polls," which works great if you're into statistics.

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 08:12
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Misunderstanding Sep 18, 2010

ildiko wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:
people here post when they have something to say, and not otherwise. I'd like that to continue. I'm not interested in whether they like what I say or if they're my friend - I'm interested in what they have to say.

I fully support Sheila's arguments and find it very strange that, of all places here, in a community of professionals whose daily life, work and passion is all about the spoken and written WORDS one would try to find ways to eliminate communication by way of coherent sentences... I, for one, would strongly oppose such feature. I think the only place for these one-click responses that merely indicate one's personal opinion or choice is the "Polls," which works great if you're into statistics.

That's the point. Lets read it again:

I'm not interested in whether they like what I say
Wow, it's good to read something about tolerance and harmony in a professional site. If there's an idea backed by 156 real users and just 7 users oppose, decisions linked to that post would be implemented in shorter times with shorter threads.

or if they're my friend
???
Ideas are supported according to their coherence, not who backs them.

[Edited at 2010-09-18 18:48 GMT]

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
People are never going to stop expressing themselves... Sep 18, 2010

ildiko wrote:

I fully support Sheila's arguments and find it very strange that, of all places here, in a community of professionals whose daily life, work and passion is all about the spoken and written WORDS one would try to find ways to eliminate communication by way of coherent sentences...

..last of all on this site! People will always want to elaborate on their opinions. This feature would only (again, as explained by Yaotl) take the place of largely unnecessary postings simply saying "I agree", "ditto", "+1" etc, and could be used by many more people who wouldn't take part in the discussion in the first place..

In any case, it's really such a minor thing, not worth all that fuss!

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Too easy Sep 18, 2010

If I make a point and 50 people click "I agree" how do I know that they've even read what I said? When I posted at 5.12 this evening and ildiko replied at 8.12, I knew she had read and understood what I had to say because she commented on it and raised the important point of us being communicators. An "I agree" wouldn't have added anything - it could just have been a twitchy finger response.

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My 2 cents. Sep 18, 2010

The funny thing here is that if we had those buttons, "I like it", or "I dislike it", we wouldn't have read disrespectful statemets like the strip club or the kindergarten stuff or the unacceptable link between IQ and age (hard to imagine that someone over 21 could be using Facebook ).

I st
... See more
The funny thing here is that if we had those buttons, "I like it", or "I dislike it", we wouldn't have read disrespectful statemets like the strip club or the kindergarten stuff or the unacceptable link between IQ and age (hard to imagine that someone over 21 could be using Facebook ).

I started the thread to suggest an improvement in order to know who and how many support/oppose proposals. With this destructiveness, several features running today in the site would have never been implemented and we'd be exchanging our points of view in an obsolete platform just like the old BBS of the 90's.

Unfortunately, I found out much more than support/opposition wow! If this is the treatment for our colleagues in a professional site, I will never ask anymore in the rest of my life why agencies, generally speaking, do what they want in the translation market.

At least, Facebook offers us the "Report" function...

[Edited at 2010-09-18 22:01 GMT]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Partially Sep 18, 2010

Sheila Wilson wrote:

If I make a point and 50 people click "I agree" how do I know that they've even read what I said? When I posted at 5.12 this evening and ildiko replied at 8.12, I knew she had read and understood what I had to say because she commented on it and raised the important point of us being communicators. An "I agree" wouldn't have added anything - it could just have been a twitchy finger response.

There are lots of long threads in Proz, several pages indeed, when posters don't read every single entry so they repeat what other poster wrote. Then we have a cascade of alternative messages:
- The first poster: Oh, I have written that before
- The repeater: Sorry, didn't notice
- The first one: Oh, no problem
et al.

Those responses form an attitude reserved not only for a determined group of translators, the twichy fingers, but for some forgetful readers as well.

[Edited at 2010-09-18 19:57 GMT]

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Disrespectful??? Sep 18, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

To each his own, but just because you might find something disrespectful does not mean that it is, or that a majority agree with you.

I've followed this thread since the start because I found the various arguments - for and against - interesting, not because I agree with your button suggestion. With your button/s all argumentation could/would cease. Now how interesting would that be and how might it encourage debate? If this thread had been reduced to an agree/don't agree level, I, and I assume many others who favour debate, would not have visited it.

Now for the business case against your proposition. The price businesses are willing to pay for banner ads and other cooperation (one of ProZ revenue streams) is usually based on PPE (pay per exposure) or PPC (pay per click). Were your suggestion to be implemented, ProZ would be likely to see a reduction in ad revenue. For ProZ to adopt your suggestion would therefore amount to them shooting themselves in the foot.

Edited typo.

[Edited at 2010-09-18 20:00 GMT]

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Yes Sep 18, 2010

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo wrote:

Yaotl Altan wrote:

To each his own, but just because you might find something disrespectful does not mean that it is, or that a majority agree with you.

Yes, please re-read the examples I quoted in my previous message.

...If this thread had been reduced to a agree/don't agree level, I, and I assume many others who favour debate, would not have visited it...

The goal is not to reduce threads to an agree/don't agree level as discussions will continue. Buttons and discussions are not exclusive.

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
I think it is a good idea Sep 18, 2010

After all the aim is not to eliminate discussion - only to avoid posts saying I agree with this idea. If someone feels like sharing some more info - s/he may always write a normal post.

Best Regards
Stanislaw

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
How? Sep 18, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I have carefully read those postings and to me they are neither disrespectful nor unacceptable.

The goal is not to reduce threads to an agree/don't agree level as discussions will continue. Buttons and discussions are not exclusive.

If "discussions will continue" in your scenario, how do you expect the comments you find disrespectful to disappear?

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
HTML Sep 18, 2010

Yaotl Altan wrote:

I have carefully read those postings and to me they are neither disrespectful nor unacceptable.

Hi, Madeleine. I have edited my post with HTML so you can see the red big letters where I refer to the examples I consider direspectful. I hope you can see them now.

Sheila doesn't support my suggestion, but she did not need to be sarcastic. Some people call it manners.

Yaotl Altan wrote:

If "discussions will continue" in your scenario, how do you expect the comments you find disrespectful to disappear?

No need to disappear them. Please, I hope they can remain in the thread forever.
As a matter of fact, they show us the difference between people trying to build a better site (approving them or not ) and sarcasm.

[Edited at 2010-09-18 22:52 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I agree button.

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »