A scratch-area for test-posts would be useful when dealing with special characters (T)
Thread poster: Lars Helbig

Lars Helbig
Germany
Local time: 19:01
English to German
+ ...
Feb 9, 2004

Maybe this should have been in the 'Tech Support' or 'KudoZ' forum instead.

Is there some sort of test or scratch area, where one can make test-posts without brothering anyone else?

I ask, because I have been trying to answer questions in KudoZ several times, that included special charcters. The results were rather uneven and I had to hide and ammend my answers. Is there some place, where I can try out the best methode to do this without disturbing the normal KudoZ stuff?

Also while I am already posting, is there some special trick to posting unicode charcters. Pehaps something like in HTML, where you can include Unicode charcters with
& (name) ; or &# (number) ;

This would be impractical for languages using non-latin scripts, but helpful with the occasional exotic charcter or phonetic symbol. (I recently wanted to include a rune and a subscript 2 for Oxygen for example)

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-07 14:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 9, 2004

LarsH wrote: I recently wanted to include a rune and a subscript 2 for Oxygen for example

That's probably the least important part of your question, but there's always Alt-178 if you need to write O² or Alt-179 for m³.

[Edited at 2004-02-09 14:21]

And while I'm still learning to read, there is no alt-subscript-2. Sorry. I'll leave the answer as is and look stupid

[Edited at 2004-02-09 14:23]

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Very good idea Lars! Feb 9, 2004

Much needed.

Could also be used for pre-viewing of a posting (like postings in some newspapers)

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/translator/1749
(ProZ.com deu>swe & forum moderator)
eMail : MatsWiman@tele2.se
Street: Träsk 201
Tel : +46-612-54112
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:01
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Add a note to an answer; answer & hide Feb 9, 2004

I had a problem recently with not being able to paste from Edit in Internet Explorer (still persists but have worked around it with special software - see http://www.proz.com/topic/18093 ) and made a number of attempts to post a note to a question I had answered. When I succeeded, I deleted the note and closed the page.
If you want to take it a stage further and see how it comes out after entering it, you could post an answer to a question and then immediately hide your answer.

Lars Helbig
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Examples of what I meant Feb 9, 2004

Entering superscript 2 is what I ended up doing (With german keyboard layout it is simply AltGr-2).

What I meant was some way to use Unicode charcters like you can do in normal HTML.

Examples:

Since HTML is enabled in this forum, I should be able to enter O₂ to get O₂

This should render OK for most people who have a resonably new browser and a unicode font installed. xⁿ should give xⁿ on most machines.

θɪŋ appears as the phonetic spelling of the english word THING for anyone who has a IPA capable unicode font installed.

[Edited at 2004-02-09 23:11]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Special characters Feb 9, 2004

You can often avoid trouble with unicode by using the html characters from SelfHtml: de.selfhtml.org/html/referenz/zeichen.htm

Nevertheless, a scratch area für KudoZ and/or forum postings would be nice.

[Edited at 2004-02-09 22:59]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A scratch-area for test-posts would be useful when dealing with special characters (T)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs