Mobile menu

A scratch-area for test-posts would be useful when dealing with special characters (T)
Thread poster: Lars Helbig

Lars Helbig
Germany
Local time: 18:27
English to German
+ ...
Feb 9, 2004

Maybe this should have been in the 'Tech Support' or 'KudoZ' forum instead.

Is there some sort of test or scratch area, where one can make test-posts without brothering anyone else?

I ask, because I have been trying to answer questions in KudoZ several times, that included special charcters. The results were rather uneven and I had to hide and ammend my answers. Is there some place, where I can try out the best methode to do this without disturbing the normal KudoZ stuff?

Also while I am already posting, is there some special trick to posting unicode charcters. Pehaps something like in HTML, where you can include Unicode charcters with
& (name) ; or &# (number) ;

This would be impractical for languages using non-latin scripts, but helpful with the occasional exotic charcter or phonetic symbol. (I recently wanted to include a rune and a subscript 2 for Oxygen for example)

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-06-07 14:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Feb 9, 2004

LarsH wrote: I recently wanted to include a rune and a subscript 2 for Oxygen for example

That's probably the least important part of your question, but there's always Alt-178 if you need to write O² or Alt-179 for m³.

[Edited at 2004-02-09 14:21]

And while I'm still learning to read, there is no alt-subscript-2. Sorry. I'll leave the answer as is and look stupid

[Edited at 2004-02-09 14:23]

Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...

Very good idea Lars! Feb 9, 2004

Much needed.

Could also be used for pre-viewing of a posting (like postings in some newspapers)

BR

Mats J C Wiman
Übersetzer/Translator/Traducteur/Traductor > swe
http://www.MatsWiman.com
http://www.Deutsch-Schwedisch.com
http://www.proz.com/translator/1749
(ProZ.com deu>swe & forum moderator)
eMail : MatsWiman@tele2.se
Street: Träsk 201
Tel : +46-612-54112
Fax : +46-612-54181
Mobile: +46-70-5769797

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:27
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Add a note to an answer; answer & hide Feb 9, 2004

I had a problem recently with not being able to paste from Edit in Internet Explorer (still persists but have worked around it with special software - see http://www.proz.com/topic/18093 ) and made a number of attempts to post a note to a question I had answered. When I succeeded, I deleted the note and closed the page.
If you want to take it a stage further and see how it comes out after entering it, you could post an answer to a question and then immediately hide your answer.

Lars Helbig
Germany
English to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Examples of what I meant Feb 9, 2004

Entering superscript 2 is what I ended up doing (With german keyboard layout it is simply AltGr-2).

What I meant was some way to use Unicode charcters like you can do in normal HTML.

Examples:

Since HTML is enabled in this forum, I should be able to enter O₂ to get O₂

This should render OK for most people who have a resonably new browser and a unicode font installed. xⁿ should give xⁿ on most machines.

θɪŋ appears as the phonetic spelling of the english word THING for anyone who has a IPA capable unicode font installed.

[Edited at 2004-02-09 23:11]

Harry Bornemann  Identity Verified
Mexico
English to German
+ ...
Special characters Feb 9, 2004

You can often avoid trouble with unicode by using the html characters from SelfHtml: de.selfhtml.org/html/referenz/zeichen.htm

Nevertheless, a scratch area für KudoZ and/or forum postings would be nice.

[Edited at 2004-02-09 22:59]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A scratch-area for test-posts would be useful when dealing with special characters (T)

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs