Mobile menu

KudoZ redundant answers - a suggestion
Thread poster: xxxivw
xxxivw
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Mar 19, 2002

On numerous occasions, someone posts the exact same answer that has already been given by somebody else. What\'s more disturbing is that askers, for one reason or another, tend to choose the most recent answer. I personally believe this is unfair to those who were first, with one exception: if the answer posted later has a more detailed explanation and references while the previous one doesn\'t. Since we are not in any position to change askers\' personnal preference, I would suggest introducing a new system under which Brownies, or even KudoZ, are SUBTRACTED from the unfair colleagues. Also, I would add a fourth option to those of \'agree,\' \'disagree\' & \'neutral\' - called \"redundant\" or \"duplicate.\" As a combination of the two, the subtracting of the points would depend on the number of \"reduntant\" peer grades, and perhaps after, say, three of those the subtracting of the points will happen automatically.

What do you all think?

Direct link Reply with quote

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 21:55
German to English
+ ...
Remarkable, .. Mar 19, 2002

.. but not very likely.

Just think of all the programming code that would have to go into adding and subtracting points like that.

It would be a great feature, to be sure, but it is not feasible, I think.

Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:55
English to Spanish
Too much for me... Mar 19, 2002

I guess it would be simpler if we could see the time answers were posted even after the first day: that way you can see who\'s a copycat and who posted at the same time (this happens often in my language pairs) even when looking up old questions.

Talking about dates and such, Henry, could you do something so we know what year we\'re talking about when we find an old, old answer in the glossary?

Thanks

Andrea

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
It happens all the time. Mar 21, 2002

Days ago, somebody posted a question. They wanted the translation into spanish of \"leaRn body mass\". The asker was specially concerned about the meaning of leaRn there. (

I was the first to answer and I pointed out that the original had a mistake and it should read: \"LEAN body mass\", not *leaRn body mass*. I translated \"lean body mass\" as \" masa corporal sin grasa\" and offered examples and several links.

Then another answer came up. Instead of \" masa corporal sin grasa\" the *new* translation read: \"masa corporal magra\".

The second translation got the KudoZ.

I couldn\'t help but laugh. )

\"http://www.proz.com/kudoz/167278?keyword=learn%20

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:55
Member (2002)
English to German
About "duplicate" comment and the displaying of date AND time of postings Mar 26, 2002

I think that adding a fourth option \"duplicate\" as suggested by ivw (without any consequences at all beyond being displayed - no need to mess around with points) wouldn\'t need that much programming, and it would definitely encourage people (those few who are not always doing it yet) to read the answers already provided before posting a new one.

Similarly, storing and displaying date AND time of answers (thanks to Andrea Bullrich for her suggestion) beyond the first day shouldn\'t take up that much storage space and wouldn\'t leave you looking like a copycat after one day when you have actually posted just seconds later.

Lydia Molea  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 03:55
English to German
+ ...
Agree with Andrea Mar 26, 2002

It happened to me before that I posted an answer, and by the time I was finished, another person had posted the same answer, sometimes 1 minute before or 1 minute after me, other times at the exact same time.

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:55
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Desagree with ivw Mar 29, 2002

I am sorry to desagree, but it has happened to me that I select a question to answer, write my answer, and after it has been registrated I go back to the question. I have even been fourth ! I don\'t think, I\'m sure they don\'t, askers choose the most recent answer. And once there was somebody complaining that the second and third answerer had copy the first, I wrote to him that nobody was stupid (as he said), they had answered at the same time. We are lucky that we have Internet and can answer at the same time. We are lucky that the system of Proz organizes the answers, ordering them, even if they come at the same instant. So, please, let\'s be mature and fairplay.

And once again I\'m really disabled when writing in English. Sorry.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ redundant answers - a suggestion

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Quiick
Want to earn more in your spare time? Monetize your knowledge!

Do you speak one or more foreign languages? Fluency in target language + willingness & ability to help people in everyday situations could earn you $45 / hour. Download “Quiick Angel” app & become a guardian angel today

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs