Mobile menu

Monolingual questions
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 10:02
German to English
+ ...
Mar 22, 2002

I know I am going to come under fire for this, but I\'ll say it all the same.

I believe that monolingual questions should be answered only by native speakers of the respective language.

While I can see the merits in non-native speakers making contributions to bilingual questions (and some of them are, indeed, helpful - source/target language input), they should refrain from interfering with monolingual questions.

I would even go so far as to suggest that each member specify a native language in his/her profile, thus blocking them from answering monolingual questions in other languages.

There will always be conflicting opinions and disagreement, but I believe we should reduce this \"potential for conflict\" when it comes to monolingual questions (after all, these questions do not require the input of non-native speakers at all).

In addition, I consider it a great disservice to the asker: he/she is, after all, looking for an answer to a very specific problem regarding his/her own mother tongue or target language (the primary reason for posting a monolingual question), and \"non-native input\" would only \"mess things up\".

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-03-22 19:23 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxJon Zuber
Spanish to English
+ ...
We've been down this road before. Mar 22, 2002

Remember \"native speaker certification\"? That disappeared in short order, and without it, there\'s no way to implement such a restriction.

Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:02
German to English
+ ...
On a similar, but not entirely the same, theme Mar 22, 2002

Is there a moderator for the monolingual communities? Because if ever a community needed moderation, it\'s \'English monolingual\'.

If there isn\'t one, could one be appointed?

Thanks

Mary

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I second the motion Mar 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-22 22:22, MaryR wrote:

Is there a moderator for the monolingual communities? Because if ever a community needed moderation, it\'s \'English monolingual\'.

Thanks

Mary

John Kinory
Local time: 15:02
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Absolutely Mar 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-22 22:22, MaryR wrote:

Thanks

Mary

[addsig]

German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It's still feasible Mar 23, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-03-22 20:51, Jon Zuber wrote:

Remember \"native speaker certification\"? That disappeared in short order, and without it, there\'s no way to implement such a restriction.

All you have to do is make \"native language\" a required field when signing up for an account with ProZ (other sites do the same; come to think of it, ALL other sites I know of require this information). Current members, at the time of introducing this new feature, would have to fill it out too (this would take less than 10 seconds).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Monolingual questions

Advanced search

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »
Websites for Translators
Build your new website, create a set of compelling graphics or find a new branding path with us.

We help both freelance translators and established translation agencies by applying online marketing strategies in the competitive world of languages. Click below to find out more!

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs