New window for postings in fori, etc. (K)
Thread poster: Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:00
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Mar 4, 2004

I suggest, that for postings in the fori etc. on clicking the Reply or Edit -links a new window should open. Then it would be easy to check, what the participants in the thread have written about the subject.
It happens to me at least, that I start writing and suddenly I realise, I must read again what has been said. But when I go Back the text I have already written is lost.
The new window would vanish when clicking the Post -butten.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 200
... See more
I suggest, that for postings in the fori etc. on clicking the Reply or Edit -links a new window should open. Then it would be easy to check, what the participants in the thread have written about the subject.
It happens to me at least, that I start writing and suddenly I realise, I must read again what has been said. But when I go Back the text I have already written is lost.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 18:38]
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 20:00
English to Turkish
+ ...
Fully support this Mar 4, 2004

A particular embarassment for me is when I have to address someone here who has a name or nickname -and especially a long one- in a language I am not very familiar with. Then, I hate to see that I've misspelled the name of a person I am talking to. Your suggestion would be good to solve this problem, too, among others pointed out

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 14:00
SITE FOUNDER
Have you tried the 'topic review' link under the posting form? Mar 4, 2004

Thanks for the suggestion.

There is a 'topic review' link under the posting form. Have you tried using that?

Narasimhan Raghavan
Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:30
English to Tamil
+ ...
In memoriam
The problem is quite easy to solve Mar 4, 2004

I proceed as follows. When I want to reply to a posting, be it using the quote option or otherwise, I just right click the link. In the pop up menu there is an option for opening in a new window. In that way both screens are available and you can even tile them horizontally.
But then with the topic review button as intimated by Henry, there is no need for this strategy either.
Regards,
N.Raghavan
Regards,
N.Raghavan

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Solution Mar 4, 2004

In this case, I always open proz twice and I can check on one while I am writing in the other.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:00
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Topic Review! Mar 4, 2004

Thank you Henry! I never paid attention to the "Topic Review" link under the posting form. Now I tried it (as I am writing here) and I find it very helpful and useful. Thank you for mentioning it.

Monika

[Edited at 2004-03-04 07:35]

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
For me, the BACK button solution works Mar 4, 2004

Hi Heinrich,

I go back and forth with the BACK button without any problems (it's faster than the 'Topic review' link.

I use Windows 2000. What do you use?

Mats

[Edited at 2004-03-04 08:10]

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 14:00
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I used to lose everything Mar 4, 2004

Heinrich Pesch wrote:
But when I go Back the text I have already written is lost.

I used to go back because it was faster than the "Topic Review" button (in fact it dependes on the post I want to write, long or short), but now it works fine for me, I don't lose anything, I use both methods.

Anyway I find uncomfortable to write in a narrow window as the one we have when we write. In my screen I have 11 x 5 cm and if I quote something I can't see it. I'm quite careful, so it seldom happens that I forget in the message something that I wanted to cut, but it's not pleasant. I often prefer to prepare my post in Word.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 21:00
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Hi, Mats Mar 4, 2004

I use XP Pro + Opera, but also used to lose all I had written when trying to review the topic by using "Back" and "forth" options. But this "review topic" button really solves it.

Uldis
Mats Wiman wrote:

Hi Heinrich,

I go back and forth with the BACK button without any problems (it's faster than the 'Topic review' link.

I use Windows 2000. What do you use?

Mats

[Edited at 2004-03-04 08:10]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

New window for postings in fori, etc. (K)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »