Hi,
I just received the same message, but this one was from:

OFFICE OF THE FOREIGN
REMITTANCE DEPARTMENT,
LONDON BRANCH UK.
Mr Chauncey Babbitt H.
PERSONAL Email: [email protected]
Phone No: +44 703 190 6162.

I feel really bad that they can do that through Proz.

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:49
English to German
+ ...
The 'price' of open communication Aug 26, 2005

Hi Tanya,
I just received the same message, but this one was from:

I take it you not only posted this in the forum, but also notified ProZ.com staff, using a Support Request?

I feel really bad that they can do that through Proz.

Please read Jason's post earlier in this thread - you can control whether or not you receive messages. You can 'lock' your profile, but of course you will lock it to everyone.

Best regards,
Ralf

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Me too!! Aug 26, 2005

[Edited at 2005-08-26 19:00]

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
The rules of the game. Aug 26, 2005

I have received several of these messages through Proz too. But, since I allow anyone to send me emails through my profile page, it can`t be helped, I guess, alas missing some prospective client email.
Those are the rules of the game.

[Edited at 2005-08-26 18:58]

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:49
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Right, I don't see so big problem there Aug 26, 2005

I receive more than 200 various spam messages daily, but my Eudora successfully filters 97 % of them to junk mailbox. I overview its contents before deleting, but it takes no more than a minute or two per day.

OTOH, I'm very sceptical of all these spam filters set up by providers- they work with God knows what algorithms and settings, and, say, if my client sends me an email containing 3 weblinks, I risk never receiving it- my provider's software may filter that as a spam.
<
... See more
I receive more than 200 various spam messages daily, but my Eudora successfully filters 97 % of them to junk mailbox. I overview its contents before deleting, but it takes no more than a minute or two per day.

OTOH, I'm very sceptical of all these spam filters set up by providers- they work with God knows what algorithms and settings, and, say, if my client sends me an email containing 3 weblinks, I risk never receiving it- my provider's software may filter that as a spam.

Therefore, IMHO, it is better to live with occasional spam received, than to risk missiing a real business message.

Uldis

Walter Landesman wrote:

I have received several of these messages through Proz too. But, since I allow anyone to send me emails through my profile page, it can`t be helped, I guess, alas missing some prospective client email.
Those are the rules of the game.

[Edited at 2005-08-26 18:58]

Collapse

AsiaLing
AsiaLing
France
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Another scam Oct 5, 2005

-----------
You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: Dear
[NOTE: The author is not a ProZ.com member or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 196.201.64.35
-----------

Dear

Permit me to inform you about my desire to go into
business relationship with you,
I am Aminu Watara the only son of Mr and Mrs. Micheal
Watara, my father was a very rich
... See more
-----------
Author: Dear
[NOTE: The author is not a ProZ.com member or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 196.201.64.35
-----------

Dear

Permit me to inform you about my desire to go into
business relationship with you,
I am Aminu Watara the only son of Mr and Mrs. Micheal
Watara, my father was a very rich cocoa merchant, based in
Abidjan, the economic capital of ivory coast before he was
poisoned to death by his business associates on one of
their outings to discuss on

a business deal.

When my mother died on may 24,1996, my father took me so
special since i am motherless. Before the death of my
father on july 26,2004 in a private hospital where he was
admitted, he called me secretly to his bed side and told me
that he kept a sum of us$10,500,000 (ten million five
hundred thousand united states dollars) in a bank in
Abidjan cote D'ivoire.

That he used my name Aminu Watara as the next of kin in
deposit of the fund he also explained to me that it was
because of this money he was poisoned by his business
partner and that i should seek for a foreign partner in a
country of my choice where i would transfer this money and
use it for an investment purpose, such as:real estate
investment or stock market investment .I am honourably
soliciting your kind assistance as follows.

(1)to provide a bank account where this money will be
transferred to.

(2)to serve as the guardian of these fund,since I am a boy
of 22 years old.

(3)to make arrangement for me in your country to continue
my educational

Career and to procure me a residential permit in your
country.i am inclined to offer you 15% of the total sum as
a mode of compensation for your efforts after the
transfering of these fund to your account in your
country.please, i will be very happy if this tansaction
will be concluded within seven(7)working days from now. I
am expecting hearing from you as soon as possible

N.B: I will like you to give me your direct telephone and
fax number in your reply of this proposal, for urgent write
me to my priavte box ( [email protected] ) for mor
details.

May almighty god bless you as you do care for an orphan
like me.anticipating to hear from you.

Best regards
Aminu Watara

Pls call me 0022507655196

-----------
Your profile: http://www.proz.com/pro/113940
Login at: http://www.proz.com/pro/
Edit your profile mail preferences:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=profmail
Block profile messages from this sender:
http://www.proz.com/?sp=ef&add_ip_block=196.201.64.35
Unsolicited advertising?
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Same procedure Oct 5, 2005

Hi Asialing,
Posting this in the forum is ok (although I would suggest to edit out your profile details). However, as pointed out before, it would be more effective to report these attempts to site staff, using a Support Request. In this way, you can actually help to block such attempts.

Note that I have blocked the IP address.

Best regards,
Ralf

Yuko Osugi (X)
Yuko Osugi (X)
United States
Local time: 09:49
English to Japanese
+ ...
I just got one this morning as well Jan 22, 2006

From a "Paster from Ghana". He wanted me to be an interpreter for his family for their vacation in LA such such such. Basically he wanted me to receive bunch of money via westernunion.com and asked me to cash it out, then give it to him.

Too sad and too bad.

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:49
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Arabian Scam Feb 28, 2006

Today, I received a scam similar to the ones posted here, except that it's from Dubai, UAE.

The contents of the scam is as follows:

Dear Friend
This letter must come to you as a big surprise, but I believe it is only a day that people meet and become great friends and business partners.
I am Mr. Ateeq Rahman KHAN, currently Head of Corporate affairs with a reputable bank here in Dubai -U. A. E. I write you this proposal in
good faith, believing that
... See more
Today, I received a scam similar to the ones posted here, except that it's from Dubai, UAE.

The contents of the scam is as follows:

Dear Friend
This letter must come to you as a big surprise, but I believe it is only a day that people meet and become great friends and business partners.
I am Mr. Ateeq Rahman KHAN, currently Head of Corporate affairs with a reputable bank here in Dubai -U. A. E. I write you this proposal in
good faith, believing that I can trust you with the information I am about to reveal to you.
I have an urgent and very confidential business proposition for you. On November 6, 2000, an Iraqi Foreign Oil consultant/contractor with the
CHEVRON PETROLEUM CORPORATION, MR. KHALIL AL NASSER made a (Fixed deposit) for 36 calendar months, valued at
US$17,500,000.00 (Seventeen Million Five hundred Thousand Dollars only) in my bank and I happen to be his account officer before I was
moved to my present position recently. Upon maturity in 2003, as his account officer and as well the bank manger, it is my duty to notify him on
the maturity date so I sent a routine notification to his forwarding address but the letter was returned undelivered.
After sometime, I tried sending back the letter, but it was again returned and finally I discovered from his contract employers, Chevron Petroleum
Corporation that Mr. Khalil Al Nasser died as a result of torture in the hand of Saddam Hussein (former Iraqi President) during one of his trips to
his country Iraq, as he was accused of leaking information to the Americans.
On further investigation, I discovered that Mr. Al Nasser's family wife and two sons died during the Gulf War in Iraq and was the reason why he
did not declare any next of kin or relation in all his official documents, including his Bank Deposit paperwork in my Bank and did not leave any
WILL. This sum of US$17,500,000.00 have been floating and placed under dormant/unserviceable account by my bank management since no
one have heard from the owner since 2003. I wish to let you know that all the investigation I have made so far, my bank management is not
aware of it, I am the only one that have the information.
With the recent change of government in my country and with their efforts to support the United Nations in checkmating terrorism aid in the U. A. E.
By end of this year, the government will pass a new financial control law which will give the government authority to interrogate account owners of
above $5,000,000.00 to explain the source of the funds, making sure it is not for terrorism support. If I do not move this money out of the country
immediately, by end of the year the government will definitely confiscate the money, because my bank cannot provide the account owner to explain
the source of the money.
I cannot directly transfer out this money without the help of a foreigner and that is why I am contacting you for an assistance. As the Account Officer to
late Al Nasser, coupled with my present position and status in the bank as Head of Retail Banking Group, I have the power to influence the release of
the funds to any foreigner that comes up as the next of kin to the account, with the correct information concerning the account, which I shall give you.
All documents to enable you claim this fund will be carefully worked out and there is practically no risk involved, the transaction will be executed under
a legitimate arrangement that will protect you from any breach of law, beside U. A. E is porous and anything goes.
If you accept to work with me, I want you to state how you wish us to share the funds in percentage, so that both parties will be satisfied. If you are
interested, contact me as soon as you receive this message so we can go over the details. Thanking you in advance and may God bless you.
Please, treat with utmost confidentiality. I shall send you copy of the deposit certificate issued to Al Nasser when the deposit was made for your perusal.
I wait your urgent reply through my private email address: [email protected]
Regards,
Mr. Ateeq Rahman KHAN.

Yes, it has come as a surprise, since if this story is true, I would be a billionaire overnight. I have received similar offers before, telling me that I won the lottery. If all those stories were true, I would be lying on a beach with a frozen Daiquiri in my hand at this moment. When I received the lottery scam, there was a phone number listed. I seriously thought of calling that person and claim my "fictitious" money. I suggest Asialing should do the same, call that person and claim the money!

I completely agree with Csaba stating that he doesn't mind receiving these junk mails but what bothers him is that these perpetrators are using Proz to find their targets.

It seems that there is not much that could be done about this matter, and I just wanted to report this case here. I hope that none of the members here are naive enough to be deceived by these fraudulent emails.

Best regards

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Collapse

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Beware of phone charges! Mar 2, 2006

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

When I received the lottery scam, there was a phone number listed. I seriously thought of calling that person and claim my "fictitious" money. I suggest Asialing should do the same, call that person and claim the money!

Never, ever respond to these scams in any form. You are confirming the validity of your email address. Some of these people are hardened criminals, and have even murdered and kidnapped victims naive enough to fall for their ruses and travel to meet with them. Phone bills may prove to be a very big shock, as well, as you don't know how the line is set up and may cost dearly per minute. That's another type of scam.

Report any and all incidences of these fraud attempts. If everyone did this, it might have an effect in the long term.

A few links:

http://www.fraudaid.com/ScamSpeak/Nigerian/I'veReceivedaNigerianLetter-WhatDo-I-Do.htm

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

http://www.spamcop.net/

Yasutomo Kanazawa
Yasutomo Kanazawa  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:49
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Just joking... Mar 2, 2006

Woodstock wrote:

Yasutomo Kanazawa wrote:

When I received the lottery scam, there was a phone number listed. I seriously thought of calling that person and claim my "fictitious" money. I suggest Asialing should do the same, call that person and claim the money!

Never, ever respond to these scams in any form. You are confirming the validity of your email address. Some of these people are hardened criminals, and have even murdered and kidnapped victims naive enough to fall for their ruses and travel to meet with them. Phone bills may prove to be a very big shock, as well, as you don't know how the line is set up and may cost dearly per minute. That's another type of scam.

Report any and all incidences of these fraud attempts. If everyone did this, it might have an effect in the long term.

A few links:

http://www.fraudaid.com/ScamSpeak/Nigerian/I'veReceivedaNigerianLetter-WhatDo-I-Do.htm

http://home.rica.net/alphae/419coal/

http://www.spamcop.net/

Hello Woodstock,

Thanks for your observant advice. Yes, I know that these are all scams, and I wouldn't dare make a phone call. I was just joking that if I called them and claimed my money, I would be a rich man. Excuse me for my poor attempted humor. As I wrote before, I know that nobody here is naive enough to accept their offer. I know myself that I wouldn't claim a money which I didn't buy a lottery ticket for. Why would anyone who don't know you offer a million dollar deal just by e-mail? Money doesn't come falling from the skies, you earn it.

Anyway, thanks for the few links which you posted. They may be helpful to everyone here.

Yasutomo

Dubravka Hrastovec
Dubravka Hrastovec  Identity Verified
Croatia
English to Croatian
+ ...
In memoriam
Have a look at this one... :-D Jul 14, 2007

"-----------
Author: binta55
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/703286
Author's IP address: 196.207.198.61
-----------

Hi am binta
My name is miss Binta i saw your profile today at
(www.proz.com) and beca
... See more
"-----------
Author: binta55
Author's Profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/703286
Author's IP address: 196.207.198.61
-----------

Hi am binta
My name is miss Binta i saw your profile today at
(www.proz.com) and became intrested in you,i will also like
to know you the more,and i want you to send an email to my
email address so i can give you my picture for you to know
whom i am.
Hered is my email address, ([email protected])
I believe we can move from here!
I am waiting for your mail to my email address above.
binta.
(Remeber the distance or colour does not matter but love
matters alot in life)

[email protected]

please reply me with my email.

-----------
Your profile: http://www.proz.com/profile/112941
Login at: http://www.proz.com/profile/
Edit your profile mail preferences: http://proz.com/?sp=ef&show_mode=profmail
Block profile messages from this sender: http://proz.com/?sp=ef&add_ip_block=196.207.198.61&add_email_block=binta_23amudu@yahoo.com&add_eid_block=703286
Unsolicited advertising? Submit a support ticket: http://proz.com/support"
-----------
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:49
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Thank you Dubravka Jul 14, 2007

Action taken.

Uldis

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

African scam on Proz.com

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »