Mobile menu

Search feature for forums
Thread poster: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 09:42
German to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2002

Since it was started last year, the ProZ forum has ballooned to unmanageable proportions. Time and again, members have complained about the tedious task of looking for specific topics, while many others have posted duplicate and triplicate messages because they could not find whatever they were looking for.

I know that the original forum software comes with a search feature. Would it be at all possible to enable that?

There are so many useful tips buried here, and it would be a real shame to lose this wealth of information.

So, Henry, if you want to earn yourself some BrowniZ , please make it happen - I am sure the whole ProZ community will thank you for it.

Direct link Reply with quote

Brenda Wong, M.A. (Translation & Interpretation)  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:42
English to Chinese
+ ...
Agree with Werner wholeheartedly! Apr 1, 2002

There are so many times that I spent \"hours\" trying to search for a topic in a particular forum. Sometimes, I couldn\'t find it (because there are so many of them), so I would post a new message. Then a colleague would inform me that such a topic has been discussed already and refer me to the particular forum. Also, (at least for me) I don\'t ask a question unless there is an immediate need for an answer. It is just crazy in this computer advanced age to have to go through one topic after another manually!!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-04-01 05:48 ]

Alison Schwitzgebel
France
Local time: 15:42
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Yes.... Apr 1, 2002

It would be trully excellent!

Alison

bharg  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 20:12
French to English
+ ...
What a coincidence! Apr 1, 2002

Wow - I was just about to post a new topic on the forums suggesting the introduction of a search feature when I chanced upon Werner\'s posting. Werner says it all for me. The idea is really excellent and most useful. I sincerely hope Henry can do something about it.

xxxDel01
German to Spanish
+ ...
Seconded Apr 16, 2002

Yes, it is definitely necessary!

Please, Henry!

xxxivw
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I agree! + another suggestion Apr 17, 2002

I agree with Werner 100%, and would also like to suggest that once we are reading / posting to a certain topic, somewhere on the page the forum / topic be shown.

Just yesterday I was sent the link to a thread, I followed it, posted a reply - and later on I had to realize I had no idea where this particular issue had been raised, because once in the thread, there\'s no way to tell where you are, one can only guess...

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:42
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
This would make sense Apr 18, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-17 18:17, ivw wrote:

I agree with Werner 100%, and would also like to suggest that once we are reading / posting to a certain topic, somewhere on the page the forum / topic be shown.

Having the forum title on the pages while reading would save me from reading something, exiting that forum, getting a phone call and then forgetting where I was.

I am not getting any younger (is ANYBODY?), Henry, and any memory help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Roberta Anderson  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
wish-list Apr 22, 2002

I agree with all requests and wishes expressed here which, as Werner say, have already been raised a few times in the past.

To recap:

1. Search through Forum topics

2. E-mail notification of contributions on threads other than the one you have opened yourself

3. Earmarking topics in areas of interest

4. Anything else which would make searching and following specific threads more immediate and les time-consuming

5. Anything else which would lead to more members being involved in forum topics

(6. Button in your profile with links to thread you have contributed to? something like what currently happens with kudoz)

Roberta

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO)
Local time: 09:42
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Great ideas! Apr 22, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-22 13:03, Roberta A. wrote:

I agree with all requests and wishes expressed here which, as Werner say, have already been raised a few times in the past.

To recap:

1. Search through Forum topics

2. E-mail notification of contributions on threads other than the one you have opened yourself

3. Earmarking topics in areas of interest

4. Anything else which would make searching and following specific threads more immediate and les time-consuming

5. Anything else which would lead to more members being involved in forum topics

(6. Button in your profile with links to thread you have contributed to? something like what currently happens with kudoz)

Roberta

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
ProZ.com staff is working on it Apr 22, 2002

This was already mentioned on the Mods\' list a couple of months ago and I am sure ProZ.com staff is working on this.

A little patience would, therefore, be appropriate.

But you\'re absolutely right in posting a reminder - doesn\'t harm anyone

[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Search feature for forums

Advanced search

TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs