A button to communicate with jobposter without accepting job (D)
Thread poster: Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
Swedish to English
+ ...
Apr 6, 2004

I've just read another ridiculously paid jobposting. In my language combinations these ridicolous postings are somewhat rarer than in others since one of my languages is quite 'unusual' and not a native language of a country with a lower cost of living.

Though I have to admit that since joining Proz.com some months ago I have not once seen a posting offering a job offering a rate even close to mine.

But there are numerous postings offering less than a livable wage in t
... See more
I've just read another ridiculously paid jobposting. In my language combinations these ridicolous postings are somewhat rarer than in others since one of my languages is quite 'unusual' and not a native language of a country with a lower cost of living.

Though I have to admit that since joining Proz.com some months ago I have not once seen a posting offering a job offering a rate even close to mine.

But there are numerous postings offering less than a livable wage in these language combinations. What surprises me is that I see X amount of bidders on most jobs.

My question is, are these bidders actually bidding on these jobs, or are they only taking the opportunity to let the outsourcer know their point of view and their rates?

I've often felt like doing the latter, but have been prevented by the fact that any answer to the outsourcer would be (externally) wieved as a bid.

My request is thus for a second button. This button would perhaps be labelled something like: 'communicate with the outsourcer' (or most likely something shorter) though my preferred alternative would be 'let the outsourcer know what you think about them'.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 15:45]
Collapse

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 13:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Can be done without extra button Apr 6, 2004

Some people do this anyway using the existing button. They use the "submit quote" button to send a message to the job poster instead of sending a quote.

lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 21:53
English to French
+ ...
How many times is the offer Apr 7, 2004

I would really like to see how many people did actually see the offer, it could be easily done, like on the forums: "views X times". So we would see how may persons did look at the offer and how many did bid. What a difference.

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
Local time: 21:53
French to English
+ ...
I agree Apr 7, 2004

lien wrote:

I would really like to see how many people did actually see the offer, it could be easily done, like on the forums: "views X times". So we would see how may persons did look at the offer and how many did bid. What a difference.

I suggested this not long ago and Ralph Lemster replied that it would be considered.
http://www.proz.com/topic/17282

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Instant message Apr 7, 2004

Can you not send an instant message to the poster???

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:53
Dutch to English
+ ...
Not only for low job offers. Apr 7, 2004

At times I also feel that I would like to get some additional information from the outsourcer that could help me decide to bid or not to bid on the job.

For example, there is currently a job offer (Spanish-English or Spanish-German) for the translation of a thesis. 13000 lines for a max. of 3000 Euro. I wonder, is that a good price or not? I seem to think that it is low, but I am not familiar with working with lines instead of word count and would rather like to find out about
... See more
At times I also feel that I would like to get some additional information from the outsourcer that could help me decide to bid or not to bid on the job.

For example, there is currently a job offer (Spanish-English or Spanish-German) for the translation of a thesis. 13000 lines for a max. of 3000 Euro. I wonder, is that a good price or not? I seem to think that it is low, but I am not familiar with working with lines instead of word count and would rather like to find out about the actual number of words. This especially because the job seems to require knowledge on how to set up a thesis as well, I believe.

So, I would have liked to communicate with the outsourcer before deciding to bid or not if I were interested in the job offer.

Happy Easter
Lucinda
Collapse

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 22:53
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
It would be Apr 7, 2004

somewhere between EUR 0,025- 0,03 per word.
As line is anything between 50 to 60 char. or 7-8 words.

Uldis

Lucinda Hollenberg wrote:

For example, there is currently a job offer (Spanish-English or Spanish-German) for the translation of a thesis. 13000 lines for a max. of 3000 Euro. I wonder, is that a good price or not? I seem to think that it is low, but I am not familiar with working with lines instead of word count

Happy Easter
Lucinda

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

A button to communicate with jobposter without accepting job (D)

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »