Off topic: "Personal" tab on the profile page (D)
Thread poster: Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 23:20
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Apr 8, 2004

ProZ, as the name suggests, is a place for professionals. It IS a perfect place to seek opportunities and to establish business contacts.

But it is much more... oh, so much more! A colorful, vibrant, fascinating community lives on these pages. People who share not only professional interests, but their passions! That is why it's extremely easy to make friends here... It would be nice to enhance those links.

I fully agree that our profiles should maintain business-like a
... See more
ProZ, as the name suggests, is a place for professionals. It IS a perfect place to seek opportunities and to establish business contacts.

But it is much more... oh, so much more! A colorful, vibrant, fascinating community lives on these pages. People who share not only professional interests, but their passions! That is why it's extremely easy to make friends here... It would be nice to enhance those links.

I fully agree that our profiles should maintain business-like appearance. I would be wary myself of an associate who gets too frivolous on his/her presentation page... But freelancers are free spirits by definition, and no matter how they try, their lighter side shines through here and there.
I say: let make it shine fully! More specifically, let's make another tab, after "Profile" and "Kudoz", titled "Personal". This would hold another profile, but not for agencies, but for fellows and friends. Blogs, artwork, hobbies and such would be appreciated. But also translating quotes, examples and resources, which for one reason or another could not go to the main page. One could even have a photo significantly different from the one on the front page! I know we can add a link to such a page on the main profile, but not everyone would like to do that, besides getting personal and staying _here_ would further enhance the spirit of the community.

One issue would be accessibility of such profiles, but I think a reasonable solution can be found. My suggestions would be: access to ProZ users only, access to freelancers only, or a whitelist.

What do you think? Is it a good idea or should I grow up already?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 17:13]
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 17:20
SITE FOUNDER
I like it! Apr 8, 2004

I think it is a great idea. Would others agree?

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
So do I Apr 9, 2004

It could be like Portfolio, people would be free to put something or not. But one page would be enough.

Gilda Manara
Gilda Manara  Identity Verified
Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
nice idea Apr 9, 2004

a sort of guestbook?

Gilda

Serkan Doğan
Serkan Doğan  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 00:20
Turkish to English
+ ...
Agree Apr 9, 2004

A very good idea really.

Serkan

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2000)
German to Swedish
+ ...
In memoriam
Super idea already realised Apr 9, 2004

At http://www.lunarstorm.se (unfortunately only in Swedish) where my daughter Anna 'of Sitges' (16) dwells every day, they have created a vibrant community with all the meeting and communication solutions we ProZers can dream of:

Träffa (Meet)
Tycka (Opine)
Snacka (Chat)
Mobilt (Mobile stuff)
Skoj (Fun stuff)
Radio (Radio s
... See more
At http://www.lunarstorm.se (unfortunately only in Swedish) where my daughter Anna 'of Sitges' (16) dwells every day, they have created a vibrant community with all the meeting and communication solutions we ProZers can dream of:

Träffa (Meet)
Tycka (Opine)
Snacka (Chat)
Mobilt (Mobile stuff)
Skoj (Fun stuff)
Radio (Radio stuff)
Mitt krypin (My corner)
Inställningar (Settings)
Hjälp (Help)
Logga ut (Logout)

News
My visitore
Monitored diaries
Cellphone top list
Pres(entation)
Guestbook
Diary
Friends
Hot stuff
Roots
Quiz
Lists
Collage
Gadjets
Party stuff
Status

Points system:

Variable points
Logins
Guestbook
Lunar Mail
Discus
Recruitments
Diary
What's up
Voice
Live (postings)
Quiz

Fixed points
Photo
Cool facts
Roots
Months online
Check'it subscriber
Months as PRO ('Platinum')
Bought LunarParty hit collection

835 million web page showings/month
2.9 million unique visitors/months
Approximately 500000 registered members

A lot of links lead you to commercially viable URL:s giving the creators enough money to continue to develop the site.

Mats
Collapse

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
France
French to English
+ ...
I like the idea too Apr 9, 2004

A very good idea.

Lucinda Hollenberg
Lucinda Hollenberg  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:20
Dutch to English
+ ...
Splendid idea Apr 9, 2004

I love it and am looking forward to it.

Happy Easter!
Lucinda

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
Jaroslaw, Apr 9, 2004

this is truly a great idea! And, please never "grow up"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Personal" tab on the profile page (D)

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »