Mobile menu

Elections for new moderators/and or vacancies (E)
Thread poster: Antonella Andreella
Antonella Andreella  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:02
German to Italian
+ ...
Apr 10, 2004

Dear all,

here is my idea: why don't we organize elections for new moderators /andor vacancies?

We could call ProZ.com members to stand for a given election, ask ProZ.com members and/or relevat community to vote and the one who receives the majority of votes is elected moderator of a given SC, forum, ProZ.com area, etc...
The mandate shall last for 4 years and after that period we could have new elections.

What do you think? What that be too difficult to be implemented?

Greetings

Antonella

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 15:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:02
English to Russian
+ ...
a refreshing idea, however Apr 10, 2004

[quote]Antonella Andreella wrote:

Dear all,

here is my idea: why don't we organize elections for new moderators /andor vacancies?

You mean, probably, establish a term of service for moderators? Some time in the past that idea was discussed, and (as far as i remember) dismissed. Consider that ProZ is hardly a some kind of democracy - it is a privately owned business, an enterprise, if you want. So, generally speaking, it is up to the management to decide whom to hire, so to say, (i mean, to hire vs to elect). Every volunteering for moderators position has to be approved, it does not go by vote. Then those mods we have seem to be good enough to proceed.

[Edited at 2004-04-10 17:47]

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Moderators could be re-elected Apr 10, 2004

Dear Vladimir,

moderators could be re-elected, why not? If after 4 years volunteering they feel like standing for new elections they can also be elected again and again and again, provided they get enough votes.

However my idea is not to change the moderators we already have, but for new ones.

It would be a nonsense to change all existing moderators, but we could introduce this kind of procedure from now on, let's say, and in 2008 elect all those who wish to stand for new elections and keep volunteering for ProZ.com.

I think this change would be welcome by the silent majority, just an idea, maybe I'm wrong...

Of course only VID and Platinum members would have the right to vote

Antonella

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:02
English to Russian
+ ...
indeed Apr 11, 2004

[quote]Antonella Andreella wrote:

Dear Vladimir,

moderators could be re-elected, why not?

Dear Antonella,
I did not say they could not - I simply wanted to remind that at the end it will be up to the owner to decide whether to grant the moderator's status to somebody or not.

On the other hand - to run the elections we need to have a number of people who want to be the moderator (the list of them in order to compete..). And I have not a slightest idea whether our management have a (long?)list of people who want to take a mod's role.
And. 4 years - it's too long, don't you think? 2 years max.

[Edited at 2004-04-11 05:00]

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Of course Apr 11, 2004

Dear Vladimir,

Vladimir Dubisskiy wrote:

at the end it will be up to the owner to decide whether to grant the moderator's status to somebody or not.

Yes, of course, it's up to him to decide whether or not this change could be of any advantage for ProZ.com.

Like all proposals, one has to figure out pros and cons, before taking a decision.

Happy Easter to everybody

Antonella

schmurr  Identity Verified
Italian to German
+ ...
ciao Antonella, Apr 13, 2004

buona Pasqua!
I think with "new moderators" you mean mods for those language combinations that are vacant - a good idea! Of course it can be enlarged if need be...
ciao!
Martin

Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Need to know how it works currently Apr 18, 2004

Firstly It would be good to know how they are chosen at the moment. I have just seen a 'welcome' sign to new platinum members and one of them is already a moderator, that's weird, isn't it??? Anyway you need to have lots of timeeee, I guess.

Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
Austria
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Being Platinum is not a mod's requirement;-) Apr 18, 2004

Hi,

Jesus Marin wrote:
........I have just seen a 'welcome' sign to new platinum members and one of them is already a moderator, that's weird, isn't it???

Being a Platinum member is a choice, not a must. There are always been non-Platinum moderators.

Being a new Platinum member doesn't mean that a member is a new ProZ.com member.

Giuliana

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Hello Tayfun Apr 18, 2004

Tayfun Torunoglu wrote:
But I do not understand:
1.What is 'Welcome" sign?
2.What is weird with this?
3.Who and where are all these?

To Tayfun:
on the left of the homepage, underneath the login box "Member Info" and "Community", and above "Search" is a "Welcome to New Platinum Members" box, with a few of the members who have upgraded most recently.
It has only been added recently, and is
in the same place where the box with recent blueboard response requests usually is.
I don't know whether it is temporary or not - but it is only there sometimes (so you might not have been looking at the right moment;-))

To Jesus:
I can only echo what Giuliana says in her posting above, so it isn't weird
Best wishes
Giuli~
(English Russian Georgian)

[Edited at 2004-04-18 15:13]

English to Spanish
+ ...
Criteria Apr 25, 2004

Giuliana and Giuli,
Can you provide me with a link to where the criteria is. I can't find anything on how moderators are divinely chosen.

Italy
German to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
As far as I know Apr 25, 2004

Dear Jesus,

in case of vacancies and/or new ProZ.com areas for which a moderator is needed, moderators working in that language pair are asked to mention a few names of ProZ.com members who are supposed to be good in moderating a given language pair and/or specific area.

Regards,
Antonella

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
No misteries here Apr 26, 2004

Jesus Marin wrote:

Can you provide me with a link to where the criteria is. I can't find anything on how moderators are divinely chosen.

Hi Jesus,

There is no standard procedure, but in general it is done in a very reasonable way.

We moderators tend to share information on members who are active, helpful and respectful of etiquette.

Sometimes we lobby for a favorite candidate.

Some members have written to Henry volunteering for the job.

When there is an opening, or someone is seriously proposed, this is usually announced internally and the mods have a chance to express their opinions.

I find this process refreshing and professional, and not much biased by personal affinities.

The last word comes from Henry and staff, of course.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

[Edited at 2004-04-26 16:41]

English to Spanish
+ ...
Democratic??? May 1, 2004

Thanks for your information but it doesn't fit into the meaning I have in my mind for democracy.
But if it works.....

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Elections for new moderators/and or vacancies (E)

Advanced search

PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs