Rebuttals not emphasized enough (Mod:'done')
Thread poster: desiderata (X)
desiderata (X)
desiderata (X)
Apr 14, 2004

I have a just in the last 24 hours a problem with responding to an Answer I gave in Proz. It doesn't seem to me that my answer has the same prominence as that of my opponent. My rebuttal and defense of my answer appears at the bottom of my original reponse in a type that puts people to sleep. Meantime, my opponent has a boldface response that actually everbody notices, even if it is off the mark or even hostile. One cannot defend one's answer!

[Edited at 2004-04-14 02:24]

[Subje
... See more
I have a just in the last 24 hours a problem with responding to an Answer I gave in Proz. It doesn't seem to me that my answer has the same prominence as that of my opponent. My rebuttal and defense of my answer appears at the bottom of my original reponse in a type that puts people to sleep. Meantime, my opponent has a boldface response that actually everbody notices, even if it is off the mark or even hostile. One cannot defend one's answer!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 15:43]
Collapse

Stefanie Sendelbach
Stefanie Sendelbach  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:28
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Kudoz is not about opponents and prominence of answers. Apr 14, 2004

Philip Tomlinson wrote:

It doesn't seem to me that my answer has the same prominence as that of my opponent. My rebuttal and defense of my answer appears at the bottom of my original reponse in a type that puts people to sleep. Meantime, my opponent has a boldface response that actually everbody notices, even if it is off the mark or even hostile.

Kudoz should be about helping each other to find a good answer together. Sometimes even several answers are correct.

And - yes. Of course you can "defend" your answer. Just keep explaining yourself and add those to your answer. Everybody will be able to read.

[Edited at 2004-04-14 02:31]

desiderata (X)
desiderata (X)
TOPIC STARTER
Heuristics Apr 14, 2004

I don\'t believe that \"everybody is able to read\" as mad as that may sound. I do believe that we are all trying to get the \"right answer\", but I do not believe _all of us_ are trying to get the right answer. How this rapid, uncritical, response? Within ten minutes? I love all of you, and I do agree that we are working heuristcally toward a response. But a heuristic, free response must take longer than this.

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 09:28
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Hi Philip Apr 14, 2004

The answers appear in the order of publication, but agrees or added comments change the order. The clock is there to indicate in which order answers came.
The answer written in the space for that are always in bold, for anybody.

Our first concern when we answer must be the interest of the asker. If others agree and the asker choses our answer we can be proud of it, but that's all, it's not a fighting place where we must prove that we're the best.
In order to have pleasur
... See more
The answers appear in the order of publication, but agrees or added comments change the order. The clock is there to indicate in which order answers came.
The answer written in the space for that are always in bold, for anybody.

Our first concern when we answer must be the interest of the asker. If others agree and the asker choses our answer we can be proud of it, but that's all, it's not a fighting place where we must prove that we're the best.
In order to have pleasure when we are in KudoZ, we must try to keep a good atmosphere, of collaboration and mutual enrichment. It's also unpleasant for those who watch when two people are in war.
Please, don't criticize other people who answer in minutes. Either you give a better answer in a longer delay (and you'll receive the agrees), or you accept that a good response can also be given in a few minutes. There's nothing against a quick response.
If you disagree with an other answer for linguistic reasons you can also express it (and you know that).
Whenever you have a further disagreement you can also contact the pair moderator.
And, as for any game, KudoZ has its rules and before playing you must accept them.

Claudia (Fr-Sp Mod)

[Edited at 2004-04-14 03:02]
Collapse

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:28
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Experts respond quickly! Apr 14, 2004

I certainly agree that there's nothing against a quick response! If you happen to see somebody asking for a translation of a term you know inside out why on earth should you wait a certain period of time to reply?

Even if you happen to THINK you know the reply or a good solution your level of confidence will indicate whether you know this for sure or whether it is just "a hint".

KudoZ represents a fantastic reassurance that whenever you need help somebody will be ther
... See more
I certainly agree that there's nothing against a quick response! If you happen to see somebody asking for a translation of a term you know inside out why on earth should you wait a certain period of time to reply?

Even if you happen to THINK you know the reply or a good solution your level of confidence will indicate whether you know this for sure or whether it is just "a hint".

KudoZ represents a fantastic reassurance that whenever you need help somebody will be there to do their utmost to give help. It's up to you then to decide which answer has been most helpful - and certainly not guided by the "prominence" of the answer.

Ciao
Dinny
Collapse

Dinny
Dinny  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:28
Italian to Danish
+ ...
Sorry, forgot a last comment.... Apr 14, 2004

It DOES seem though that when asker "awards" the most helpful answer he/she often just clicks at the last answer (which is now on the top) and inserts a "Thank you". Points given to right answer? I'm not so sure... but then again... our lives don't depend on KudoZ appraisal, do they?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Rebuttals not emphasized enough (Mod:'done')

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »