Mobile menu

More control over nick/real name display (D)
Thread poster: Jabberwock

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 04:55
Member (2004)
English to Polish
Apr 21, 2004

I have yet another suggestion. I hope it was not discussed before, just in case I did a cursory search for it on the forums.

I think it would be nice to have a greater control over the display of real names/nicks on ProZ. While I would not consider presenting myself to the potential customer only with a nick on my profile, not to mention a job quote, it would be nice to appear on KudoZ and forums in more "user friendly" version.

Oh, ok, probably I'm too spoiled now with this wonderful site. Never mind - my biggie suggestion is still getting ready to be presented

Jabberwock

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 21:11]

Direct link Reply with quote

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
nickname ? Apr 21, 2004

Jaroslaw Michalak wrote:

While I would not consider presenting myself to the potential customer only with a nick on my profile, not to mention a job quote,

It is not a nickname, it is the name of my business.

bartek  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Nickname? Apr 21, 2004

It is the name of my beloved and spoiled dog.
I don't want my name to be used in public. Such is my right and will stick to it. If somebody wants to know my name - I can't see any problem. Believe me.
Teresa

Agnieszka Hayward
Poland
German to Polish
+ ...
Tygru is my name :) Apr 21, 2004

Jaroslaw Michalak wrote:

While I would not consider presenting myself to the potential customer only with a nick on my profile, not to mention a job quote (...)
Jabberwock

I'd just sign a job entry with my full name.
But on the Internet, even within beloved Proz.com, my nickname is my castle and part of my life...

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
Nickname? Apr 22, 2004

It is not a nickname, it is the name of my ProZ persona

Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
You may be anyone... Apr 22, 2004

...but my picture and my name are real, and you may come over anytime for a glass of wine. I have no regard for those who hide behind a "persona", for they apparently do not even exist. I would say to all of them, "get a life".

jmadsen  Identity Verified
Well said! Apr 22, 2004

Henry Hinds wrote:
I have no regard for those who hide behind a "persona", for they apparently do not even exist. I would say to all of them, "get a life".

In Danish we have a nice colloquialism: to battle with an open forehead (i.e. not using a helmet or mask).
I for one don't need to hide behind an alias or in my mothers skirts for that matter.
After all it's also a matter of trustworthiness, isn't it?

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
There may be valid reasons for using a nick Apr 22, 2004

Hi all,
Site members using a nickname may have valid reasons for doing so - with a bit of experience, it's easy to tell the difference between an active member who just decided not to openly reveal his/her identity, and a blank profile that's likely to disappear as quickly as it was set up.

Best regards, Ralf

YASiN DEMiRKIRAN
Local time: 06:55
Farsi (Persian) to Turkish
+ ...
Well done! Fear no more says the heart to the body... Apr 22, 2004

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

Henry Hinds wrote:
I have no regard for those who hide behind a "persona", for they apparently do not even exist. I would say to all of them, "get a life".

In Danish we have a nice colloquialism: to battle with an open forehead (i.e. not using a helmet or mask).
I for one don't need to hide behind an alias or in my mothers skirts for that matter.

Jabberwock  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
TOPIC STARTER
What was the question? Apr 22, 2004

I simply asked if it would possible to have login name used in one context, and full name in another for convenience. I don't really care about the moral or social implications.

two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 00:55
English to Spanish
+ ...
What's in a name? Apr 23, 2004

Jørgen Madsen wrote:

Henry Hinds wrote:

Dear colleague,

A "normal" name sounds better than a nick, and it may inspire more trust, but in fact someone may invent a funny nick or (why not?) a normal sounding name.

What if Jørgen Madsen were not your real name? If you can invent a nick you can invent a name.

Some ProZ members have a "tick" meaning that their identity has been verified by the site. This is IMO more relevant that the string of characters found below your pic.

Regards,
Enrique Cavalitto

Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
What would one need a helmet for, Apr 23, 2004

when we have the comforts of the internet medium that makes it possible to go belligerent over anything and for nothing, especially in between lonely translation sessions when too much expressive and interactive energy get stuck within? But in a real medium none of us would find it so easy to say all of a sudden "I do not have any regard for you" at someone's face, right?

To return to the subject, as the poster of this topic reminds us,

I simply asked if it would possible to have login name used in one context, and full name in another for convenience. I don't really care about the moral or social implications.

as far as I know, at least it is possible to display both the nickname and the real name on profile. Apart from that, the site offers the VID feature and an option to upload CV for those who want to make it look real as well.

Regards,
that I have for all

"Xola"

Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:55
English to Arabic
+ ...
absolutely! Jun 18, 2004

Jabberwock wrote:

I'm coming a bit late into this discussion, but I just wanted to make a new posting about that same point - when participating in Kudoz or Forums, people prefer to use nicknames or aliases, but then a search for Freelancers produces lists of names like "smiley", "zombie" or whatever. Doesn't sound very professional or encourage potential clients to look further... I think it should be possible to have a Kudoz/Forums alias AND the option of having one's real name displayed in the search for freelancers.

Nesrin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

More control over nick/real name display (D)

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs