https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/2064-speeding_up_message_visibility_on_forums.html

Speeding up message visibility on forums
Thread poster: Derek Smith
Derek Smith
Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:36
Italian to English
+ ...
Apr 5, 2002

Often, when I send a message in response to a forum thread, I find it has become irrelevant by the time it appears. This is because, for example, a host of other messages pop up throughout the day before mine finally gets dragged from the bottom of the sack.

Since I assume this time lag problem is shared by all, I wondered if it would be possible to have forums functioning like Kudoz, with squashing entitlements for Proz staff, moderators and authorized site members, plus a \"hide\"
... See more
Often, when I send a message in response to a forum thread, I find it has become irrelevant by the time it appears. This is because, for example, a host of other messages pop up throughout the day before mine finally gets dragged from the bottom of the sack.

Since I assume this time lag problem is shared by all, I wondered if it would be possible to have forums functioning like Kudoz, with squashing entitlements for Proz staff, moderators and authorized site members, plus a \"hide\" function to allow for afterthoughts by the poster. Then, I reasoned, perhaps messages to forums could become instantly visible.

Derek
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Platinum vs normal membership Apr 5, 2002

The problem arises because the postings of Platinum members are not moderated (although I have never really worked out why we are any less likely to need moderation than the mere non-paying mortals ).

So a conversation between Platinums (Platini?) happens in real time, while any contributions made by normal members take a few hours to show up. Which makes the forums disjointed and difficult to read.

I\'m not
... See more
The problem arises because the postings of Platinum members are not moderated (although I have never really worked out why we are any less likely to need moderation than the mere non-paying mortals ).

So a conversation between Platinums (Platini?) happens in real time, while any contributions made by normal members take a few hours to show up. Which makes the forums disjointed and difficult to read.

I\'m not entirely sure what the solution, is, though!

Regards

Mary
Collapse

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Off topic, do not read. Apr 5, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-05 15:34, MaryR wrote:

So a conversation between Platinums (Platini?) ...

Platricians.

Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 11:36
German to English
+ ...
Then, there is the problem of new members with empty profiles Apr 5, 2002

Think about it: if this were \"real time\" for all members, anyone could come along (with an empty profile), post hate messages or worse and then leave again. By the time moderators get around to deleting such messages, it\'ll be too late; the damage will have been done.

But I agree with Mary: we all need moderation, paying member or not.

Derek Smith
Derek Smith  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The penny has now dropped Apr 5, 2002

Or should I say the 120 bucks

Thanks for the explanations.

I hadn\'t realized this was the system - fair enough. I can\'t afford to join just yet, but I hope to be up there with you before the summer.

Derek

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Speeding up message visibility on forums

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »