Thread poster: Hans-Bertil Karlsson
Hans-Bertil Karlsson
Sweden
Local time: 03:58
Norwegian to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 11, 2001

Just a short \"success story\":

I did ansver a very easy question (can\'t remember it now) put by a woman in USA (I\'m Swedish). She thanked me for the answer and asked me in a mail what kind of services I offer. I sent her my CV, and after a small test I was appointed as their translator for manuals etc (their old translator had just quit).

So by ansvering this question, I think I will have at least half time work for the next year.

But: She never understood how to give me Kudos pointe - but I don\'t mind in this case
[addsig]

Direct link Reply with quote

xxxWGP
English to German
+ ...
Aug 12, 2001

Thank you for that truly inspiring story. It proves that the system works - and that quality and efficiency win out.

Given this particular example of finding work through the KudoZ section, it is all the more important to keep it professional and to answer questions only if you actually have something constructive to contribute. KudoZ should not be a race for points, but about helping and assisting fellow colleagues. And as this case illustrates, you may even land yourself a nice job in the process.

Marcus Malabad  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
Aug 13, 2001

Wow, gives us incentive to start answering with renewed fervor!

Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
French to English
Aug 15, 2001

I have picked up a number of jobs this way, notably a 100 thousand word job right up my street. It\'s not the points in themselves but the way you work, the way you think, the decisions you make. Proz is a pretty useful \"window\". In the job market - be it as an employee or freelance - a large number of jobs are never advertised at all.

As a freelancer, every contact with a new client is like being taken on as an employee for as long as the job lasts. One page can be enough to start you off on a long collaboration with a particular client. Always worth remembering as it helps you adopt a high degree of professionalism.

flaviofbg
Spain
Spanish to Italian
+ ...
Aug 17, 2001

Same here! I answered to a few questions in the pair EN>Catalan and suddenly I received an email from the asker, who says he will need my services for an 8-book series about a Catalan composer...

It was rather refreshing!

Best wishes, Flavio

PS: Looks like KudoZ may also serve as a job finder...
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Easy KudoZ \"junk\" sometimes turns into jobs

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs