Language censure in this site -- too strict?
Thread poster: Pablo Fdez. Moriano
Pablo Fdez. Moriano
Pablo Fdez. Moriano
Spain
Local time: 09:46
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 12, 2001

I don\'t know whether this has ever happened to anyone. I\'ve just answered a Kudoz question, asking for a Spanish word for dork. There were already three answers with some help and explanations in English, but no one had given a term in Spanish yet. I\'ve made my suggestions and also added some explanations relating the use of the words I had proposed, just for the sake of clarity, but apparently I must have written something a bit rude, because the next time I tried to see the answers to this ... See more
I don\'t know whether this has ever happened to anyone. I\'ve just answered a Kudoz question, asking for a Spanish word for dork. There were already three answers with some help and explanations in English, but no one had given a term in Spanish yet. I\'ve made my suggestions and also added some explanations relating the use of the words I had proposed, just for the sake of clarity, but apparently I must have written something a bit rude, because the next time I tried to see the answers to this question (to see if my proposal had been already published) I found, to my surprise, that the whole Kudoz question had been suppressed.

It was not my intention to be rude to nobody, but insults and rude words form part of our language and not less important than technical terms, and I think that we can openly talk about them without nobody getting shocked, especially if it is an answer to a question that someone has posed and nobody has still answered properly.

Does anybody agree?
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:46
SITE FOUNDER
ProZ.com guidelines call for elimination of material not suitable for kids, etc. Oct 8, 2001

You make a good point. This is something we (ie. ProZ.com staff and site moderators) took into consideration.

There were several members who pointed out that their children see ProZ.com postings. So though it is clear that most people using ProZ.com are adults, we deciding to try to keep ProZ.com language suitable for all ages (and persuasions), since we make no effort to verify ages, etc.

The guideline is just something we put forward. The actual \"squa
... See more
You make a good point. This is something we (ie. ProZ.com staff and site moderators) took into consideration.

There were several members who pointed out that their children see ProZ.com postings. So though it is clear that most people using ProZ.com are adults, we deciding to try to keep ProZ.com language suitable for all ages (and persuasions), since we make no effort to verify ages, etc.

The guideline is just something we put forward. The actual \"squashing\"--eliminating questions--is left to people who have earned a certain number of KudoZ or who are moderators. So the community is self-policing in this respect.
Collapse

Hanna Burdon
Hanna Burdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 08:46
English to Polish
+ ...
not happy about my question being squashed Oct 22, 2001

Some time ago I posted a question asking for the Polish equivalent of \"physical collapse\", which can be caused by drug abuse. I received some helpful answers but was never able to award any KudoZ because someone suppressed the question. I am not very happy about it, I do not think the question was in any way inappropriate, and I would like to be able to ask questions on KudoZ which might contain words such as \"drugs\", \"sex\" etc. without some prude squashing them...

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
May have been accidental! Oct 22, 2001

Hi Hanna,

From what you say, it sounds like your question was not in any way offensive or inappropriate. It may have been squashed accidentally. The squashing buttons were very easy to press, and there was no confirmation feature - so if you clicked in the wrong place, the question was history!

This has now been remedied with an extra confirmation page for squashing. So there should be no more accidental squashing! You can now also see who squashed your
... See more
Hi Hanna,

From what you say, it sounds like your question was not in any way offensive or inappropriate. It may have been squashed accidentally. The squashing buttons were very easy to press, and there was no confirmation feature - so if you clicked in the wrong place, the question was history!

This has now been remedied with an extra confirmation page for squashing. So there should be no more accidental squashing! You can now also see who squashed your question and why ... so let\'s hope there\'ll be fewer questions disappearing for no apparent reason.

Regards

Mary
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 03:46
SITE FOUNDER
I unsquashed it. Oct 22, 2001

I unsquashed it.

You can grade it.

http://www.proz.com/glossary/41734

Hanna Burdon
Hanna Burdon  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
+ ...
thank you Oct 31, 2001

Just wanted to say thanks! You\'re probably right, it must have been accidental.

Take care,

Hanna.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Language censure in this site -- too strict?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »