Mobile menu

Off topic: Moderators are real people (from a moderator)...
Thread poster: Angela Arnone

Angela Arnone  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:48
Member (2004)
Italian to English
+ ...
May 26, 2004

Hello everyone... a moderator speaking... I get lots of messages from proz members in my mailbox and I always reply. I enjoy this site and I enjoy "moderating" ... but I have a wee complaint.
It's about good manners or "netiquette".
I won't take up much of your time but bear with me.
It is lovely to get messages from you all, but it would be nice (not to mention polite) to begin messages with that hackneyed but nevertheless appreciated formula ... "Dear Angela". And to close with something on the lines of "TIA" or Best regards" ... nothing OTT, but simply a greeting of sorts.
Many of you may think it odd that I am writing such a post, but believe it or not, I get messages that do not greet me by name, do not thank me or even say "please".
Call me old fashioned, but as I am a non-paid volunteer on this site, it would be nice for those who write to me (or other modZ) to call us by name (we are all listed) and to say "please" and "thank you".
I reply to anyone who writes, but I must be honest and confess that it is through gritted teeth when I receive messages that sound like demands.
Thanks for listening and hope you all have a lovely day!!!

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2004-05-27 10:36]

Direct link Reply with quote

Giovanna Graziani  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
German to Italian
+ ...
Ciao Angela! May 26, 2004

I obviously totally agree and would like to add that...
being paid or being a volunteer doesn't change anything on this matter.
I have been educated to say please and thank you to everybody listening to me! Maybe I'm old-fashioned as well, but I think politeness makes everything nicer (and often easier).
Thnak you anyway for your continuous support of the site!

Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:48
English to Croatian
+ ...
Good onya, Angela! May 26, 2004

Dear Angela,

Allow me to express my thoughts re. your posting.

Being a moderator myself I've been receiving all sorts of emails and - to be honest - it's not always easy to stay "moderate".

(off) You're right! Every bloody moderator is a human being, not a machine, and works, eats, sleeps and after all - is a voluntier ... therefore should be treated as such...

I apologise, I do not know what happened to me, please forgive me.

King regards!

[Edited at 2004-05-26 11:37]

Vladimir Dubisskiy  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:48
English to Russian
+ ...
Dear Angela May 26, 2004

I want to learn Italian, in order to do translations between English and Italian - thus i would get a pleasure in communicating with you more!
Viva proz moderators, viva Angela!

Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:48
Member (2004)
English to Spanish
Never too nice May 27, 2004

A few days ago there was a question posted asking help to translate this simple phrase "No coloque objetos sobre el piano". I immediately and naturally proposed "Please do not place any objects on the piano". Someone remarked that it was a true translation, as Americans are always saying: "Please this...", "Please that...". Well, I think that is how it should be. Anything else will be sheer arrogance and taking things for granted. It does not cost anything to be nice, show some manners, and treat others as one would like to be treated.

Francesco Barbuto  Identity Verified
English to Italian
+ ...
Dearest Angela May 27, 2004

Many many many KUDOZ to you.

Notwithstanding I never asked you anything, as well thank you very much for devoting so much of your time to supporting this wonderful site.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moderators are real people (from a moderator)...

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
SDL Trados Studio 2015 Freelance
The industry-leading translation software used by over 200,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »

All of
  • All of
  • Term search
  • Jobs