Blue Board for CAT tools (K)
Thread poster: Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor
Amy Taylor  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:58
Italian to English
Jun 4, 2004

This morning I was searching around for comments from translators on a particular piece of software I am considering, and it occurred to me that a "blue board" format for software could be a fantastic resource. At the moment there is a section dedicated to CAT tools (oddly, DejáVù is not listed - why??). But as we all know, translators use many other types of software daily - from OCR to Voice Recognition to Accounting/Tax packages to Concordance...

The same sort of thing could b
... See more
This morning I was searching around for comments from translators on a particular piece of software I am considering, and it occurred to me that a "blue board" format for software could be a fantastic resource. At the moment there is a section dedicated to CAT tools (oddly, DejáVù is not listed - why??). But as we all know, translators use many other types of software daily - from OCR to Voice Recognition to Accounting/Tax packages to Concordance...

The same sort of thing could be enormously useful applied to different dictionaries as well, offering ratings on content and format as well as indications of whether or not they are available on CD, whether they can be copied to the HD, etc.

What say ye?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 15:20]
Collapse

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:58
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
CAT Tools page currently under redesign Jun 4, 2004

Dear Amy,

the CAT Tools section is currently under redesign.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=cat/tools

We used to have a feature called "CAT Fight", where the members could post ratings and experiences about every feature of a tool, or read the comments posted by other site users. That feature is currently not available.

We will add soon many more products o
... See more
Dear Amy,

the CAT Tools section is currently under redesign.

http://www.proz.com/?sp=cat/tools

We used to have a feature called "CAT Fight", where the members could post ratings and experiences about every feature of a tool, or read the comments posted by other site users. That feature is currently not available.

We will add soon many more products of interest to the site members to the CAT Tools list, and they will have a short description, links to the vendors, and perhaps some rating feature, but I can't promise anything yet.

Gianfranco
ProZ.com Team
Collapse

Amy Taylor
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ratings could provide added value Jun 4, 2004

Thanks for your reply, Gianfranco. (New pic?)

While software listings and links to vendors will indeed be useful, I think ratings and reviews from ProZ members could provide very valuable information. The BlueBoard format seemed like a logical way to go since it has already been elaborated and tested.

In any case, I look forward to seeing the new section, and hope DejáVù will return to the list of CAT tools!!

Amy

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 20:58
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Products page and its features Jun 4, 2004

Hi Amy,

Regarding DejaVu (and other products) I cannot guarantee which ones will feature on the tools page, but we will try to have as many as possible, with the best content, description and, if possible, the best discounts for the site members too.

A rating feature for software must be necessarily different from the BlueBoard, as we are dealing with different subject, but your point is valid: rating and opinions are useful.

I don\'t know if
... See more
Hi Amy,

Regarding DejaVu (and other products) I cannot guarantee which ones will feature on the tools page, but we will try to have as many as possible, with the best content, description and, if possible, the best discounts for the site members too.

A rating feature for software must be necessarily different from the BlueBoard, as we are dealing with different subject, but your point is valid: rating and opinions are useful.

I don\'t know if you were familiar with the old CAT Fight, but it was an innovative way for rating and comparing any two items in the Tools list.
The problems was that it was written using a different standard from all the rest of the site and the page, which was also quite complex, became difficult to maintain and update.
It may reappear in the future, rewritten and/or different.

bye
Gianfranco
Collapse

Amy Taylor
United States
Italian to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your input Jun 4, 2004

I remember the CAT fight section, and posted a review myself. I look forward to seeing the new section on software as it develops. I hope that the oversight regarding DejaVu will be remedied quickly, as I know that a large number of ProZ.com members, like myself, depend on it in our daily work.

BR,

Amy

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Blue Board for CAT tools (K)

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »