Number of glossary queries per day (Staff:'done')
Thread poster: Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee
Mary Lalevee  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:07
French to English
Jun 9, 2004

I have been away for a week, and now I find I can only ask Proz glossary questions a couple of times before it tells me I have exceeded the limit for the day. If I want to ask more I have to go Platinum

Is this a new policy? I certainly hope not. I find the Proz glossaries (some of which I have contributed to I may add) very useful.
Mary

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-03 15:20]

Endre Both
Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:07
English to German
Glossary searches vs KudoZ questions Jun 9, 2004

Mary,

Does the problem you mention relate to searches in the KudoZ glossary (where you don't ask a new question) or the posting of new KudoZ questions?

Thanks,
Endre

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
Hello Mary - do you mean asking kudos questions, or checking the existing kudos glossary? Jun 9, 2004

(just to clarify)
Best wishes
Giuli~

(Eng Rus Geo)

To Endre: Ah, minds thinking alike

[Edited at 2004-06-09 09:57]

Mary Lalevee
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Searching the glossary Jun 9, 2004

I mean just to search the Kudoz glossaries.

[Edited at 2004-06-09 10:13]

Silvia Borges
Silvia Borges
United States
Local time: 09:07
I have had the same experience... Jun 9, 2004

Mary Lalevée wrote:

"...I find I can only ask Proz glossary questions a couple of times before it tells me I have exceeded the limit for the day. If I want to ask more I have to go Platinum

Is this a new policy? I certainly hope not. I find the Proz glossaries (some of which I have contributed to I may add) very useful.
Mary

If it is a new policy, I would totally reject it, since I have also contributed a whole lot (and enjoy doing it, whenever I can) but to even think of the possibility that a Platinum member would have additional access to glossary questions is outrageous.

I am hoping you will tell us that it is a bug that needs to be fixed.
Thanks Mary, for bringing it up!
Silvia

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
This was necessary to block someone downloading the archives Jun 9, 2004

There was a member attempting to download the entire KudoZ archive by doing repeated searches. We instituted a block to prevent bandwidth and processing power from being overused in this way.

We would like to set the limit at a level that does not interfere with regular usage. I will look into changing the way this limitation works.

Mary Lalevee
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Limiting queries Jun 9, 2004

Thanks for that information Henry.

It seems a bit extreme to respond to one member's misbehaviour by "punishing" the rest of us!

I sometimes translate long documents and I usually save all my queries until I have got to the end, as things often become clear as you go along. This means that I may have 5-10 queries all on the same day, at the end of the translation and when I have exhausted all other sources.

I really miss being able to use the Kudoz glossari
... See more
Thanks for that information Henry.

It seems a bit extreme to respond to one member's misbehaviour by "punishing" the rest of us!

I sometimes translate long documents and I usually save all my queries until I have got to the end, as things often become clear as you go along. This means that I may have 5-10 queries all on the same day, at the end of the translation and when I have exhausted all other sources.

I really miss being able to use the Kudoz glossaries and to ask colleagues for help.

Please reconsider or at least have a limit of say 20-30 queries a day which I can't imagine any translator exceeding.

Thanks for all your hard work anyway Henry, up until now I have always enjoyed using Proz, both asking and answering questions where I can.

Mary
Collapse

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Specific solution? Jun 9, 2004

Hi Henry,

I originally thought there'd been some glitch after reading the thread because I seem to be able to ask as many questions as I like.

I feel that limiting the number of questions is a very sticky issue when it comes to quantifying this limit.

I too tend to accumulate queries until towards the end of the translation - very often I've got a set of "provisional" terms which I then confirm with the glossaries before delivery.

Also, as an o
... See more
Hi Henry,

I originally thought there'd been some glitch after reading the thread because I seem to be able to ask as many questions as I like.

I feel that limiting the number of questions is a very sticky issue when it comes to quantifying this limit.

I too tend to accumulate queries until towards the end of the translation - very often I've got a set of "provisional" terms which I then confirm with the glossaries before delivery.

Also, as an occasional answerer, I often check with the glossaries before offering a suggestion, and if there is a convincing glossary entry I'll post it for the asker - did this twice just yesterday.
Anything but a very high limit would prevent me from using the glossaries as described for fear of using up my opportunities and not being able to access the glossaries for my OWN translations.

A bit ironic, as some 400 (I think) of the chosen translations were suggested by me. (In fact, on more than one occasion I've looked something up only to find that I'd answered it myself two years ago).

Also to be borne in mind is that there must be other people in my situation whose Internet service is precarious, to put it mildly.

People in this situation are sometimes forced to accumulate their questions/queries waiting for the powers that be to restore the connection.

And I'm sure there must be other reasons for what might, at first blush, appear to be excessive use of the glossaries.

"Technologically-challenged" does not do me justice. "Clueless" might. So I have to ask:
Is there no way some specific solution be applied to this?

Another idea could be simply to place a warning that anyone trying to download the entire glossary will be removed/banned/hung drawn and quartered......etc

Cheers,
Andy
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
The limit is now 200 queries for non-platinum members Jun 9, 2004

The limit had been 100 searches against the archives per day for non-platinums, I have now raised it to 200. I assume legitimate users will not be affected.

The limit for platinum members is 500 queries per day. If you have reason to search more than 200 times per day, please consider going platinum.

Mary Lalevee
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem Jun 9, 2004

Dear Henry,

well of course 100 is fine - but I was stopped after two or three!! It must be a specific problem for me. Can this be fixed somehow?

TIA
Mary

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
No limit currently on KudoZ questions Jun 9, 2004

Mary Lalevée wrote:

I really miss being able to use the Kudoz glossaries and to ask colleagues for help.

There is currently no limit on number of KudoZ questions per day. I think you may be confusing archive searches with KudoZ questions...? Or maybe you have a practice of going through the search on your way to ask? To ask directly, go to: http://www.proz.com/?sp=k

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Mary, lets debug directly Jun 9, 2004

Mary Lalevée wrote:

Dear Henry,

well of course 100 is fine - but I was stopped after two or three!! It must be a specific problem for me. Can this be fixed somehow?

TIA
Mary

OK, let's communicate directly and figure out what is wrong. There may have been other people searching from the same IP within the last 24 hours.

Anjo Sterringa
Anjo Sterringa  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
Very good resource Jun 9, 2004

Hi,
I just found out (a bit late...) how useful the glossary search can be! It is really a great resource, because it gives you more context, ideas and background than a normal glossary or dictionary check.
If someone is downloading all the personal glossaries (???) can you not just block that person's IP? It seems such a strange thing to do, with all the glossaries out there on the internet, this glossary (term) search gives you a totally different view, because you crosscheck gloss
... See more
Hi,
I just found out (a bit late...) how useful the glossary search can be! It is really a great resource, because it gives you more context, ideas and background than a normal glossary or dictionary check.
If someone is downloading all the personal glossaries (???) can you not just block that person's IP? It seems such a strange thing to do, with all the glossaries out there on the internet, this glossary (term) search gives you a totally different view, because you crosscheck glossaries - but anyway. Just wanted to let you know - thanks everybody!!
Collapse

Mary Lalevee
United Kingdom
French to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved Jun 10, 2004

It turned out to be a technical problem which Henry fixed.

What a relief!

Mary

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Number of glossary queries per day (Staff:'done')

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »