Thread poster: chopra_2002

chopra_2002  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 13:48
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Aug 28, 2004

Hindi is the national language of India. More than 180 million people in India speak Hindi as their mother tongue. Another 300 million use it as second language. And there are millions of Hindi speakers outside India also. It ranks among one of the five most widely spoken languages in the world.
There are as many as 414 freelancers and 201 agencies on Proz.com specifically dealing in English>Hindi combination.

Therefore, it is desirable that a Hindi forum be introduced so that the matters related to Hindi and Hindi translation should be discussed in details. I request all my friends dealing in Hindi translation to offer their views and support the demand for a Hindi forum as it would provide us with a useful platform to interact about the topics, matters and problems concerning our own language.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 14:39]

Direct link Reply with quote

Lakshmi Iyer  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 10:18
Italian to English
+ ...
Namaste, Aug 28, 2004

and congratulations for having taken the initiative.

Unfortunately, although I understand Hindi, I don't translate from/to Hindi, hence don't have a Hindi keyboard or software...I guess that means I won't be able to read posts! Pity. Can anyone suggest a website where I can download Hindi fonts for Macintosh OSX?

Good luck with the forum: look forward to tracking serious, professional Hindi-English-Hindi discussions. Hope I'll be able to offer the occasional answer!

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for a word of encouragement and.... Aug 28, 2004

good wishes. Your name (Kaveri - It is the name of a river of India) suggests that you are basically from India. Since you can understand Hindi, you won't be having much difficulty while participating in different topics of this proposed forum. If you feel any difficulty due to Hindi fonts, you may type out the matter in Hindi by using the Roman script itself as it might be difficult for you to get acquainted with the Hindi keyboard so quickly.

Cheers!

Kaveri wrote:

and congratulations for having taken the initiative.

Unfortunately, although I understand Hindi, I don't translate from/to Hindi, hence don't have a Hindi keyboard or software...I guess that means I won't be able to read posts! Pity. Can anyone suggest a website where I can download Hindi fonts for Macintosh OSX?

Good luck with the forum: look forward to tracking serious, professional Hindi-English-Hindi discussions. Hope I'll be able to offer the occasional answer!

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Hindi fonts Aug 28, 2004

This looks like a possibility.

Yamada Language Center: Hindi Fonts
... Yamada home page] Kånchi Hindi bitmapped font available in 12 and 24 point. Download Kånchi (63 k) For Macintosh. More Fonts ... ...
babel.uoregon.edu/yamada/fonts/hindi.html

Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
English to Hindi
+ ...
पहला हिंदी संदेश Aug 29, 2004

ये एक अच्छा प्रयास होगा। मेरी शुभकामनाएँ।

अनिल गोयल

satish krishna itikela  Identity Verified
India
Member (2011)
English to Telugu
+ ...
"Fantastic idea" Aug 29, 2004

Hello Langclinic,

This is very good idea to start a hindi forum, because all languages are having their own forums to discuss their views,ideas,problem and giving suggestions on them, with this the freelancers or agencies who are dealing with hindi language will be able to exchange their views and share their experiences with each other.

This will be great step in hindi community, as said by you hindi is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world.
This should be considered by the proz.com team to create a seperate hinid forum.

This is my opinion.

Regards,
Satish.

Narasimhan Raghavan  Identity Verified
English to Tamil
+ ...
Yeh kaunsa font hoga Anilji? Aug 29, 2004

Hindi forum ke bare me padkar bahut kush hua. Agar latin fonts sweekrut hohn, meh bee apni khayalehn likh sakoonga. Agar mushkil na ho, aap apna font mujeh bhej sakenge, thaki meh pad sakoonga, aap kya likthey hein?
Pranam,
N.Raghavan

English translation:
Title: Which font would that be Anil?

Very glad to learn about the Hindi forum. If Latin fonts are acceptable, I would be able to express my ideas. If it is not too much trouble, could you please send the fonts to me so that I can read what you are writing?

Regards,
N.Raghavan
Anil Goyal wrote:

अनिल गोयल

[Edited at 2004-08-29 12:34]

[Edited at 2004-08-29 12:45]

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks, but it is illegible Aug 29, 2004

While I thank you for replying to this thread, I'd like to inform you that the thoughts expressed by you are illegible. I guess that you have written in Hindi unicode but even my XP machine is unable to read the same. Therefore, I'd appreciate if you could re-write the same in English or in a legible font so that we may all know about your opinion.

Thanks

Anil Goyal wrote:

अनिल गोयल

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 29, 2004

Many thanks for supporting the proposal.

satish itikela wrote:

Hello Langclinic,

This is very good idea to start a hindi forum, because all languages are having their own forums to discuss their views,ideas,problem and giving suggestions on them, with this the freelancers or agencies who are dealing with hindi language will be able to exchange their views and share their experiences with each other.

This will be great step in hindi community, as said by you hindi is one of the most widely spoken languages in the world.
This should be considered by the proz.com team to create a seperate hinid forum.

This is my opinion.

Regards,
Satish.

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for your support Aug 29, 2004

I thank you for supporting the above idea. However, it would be better if you could express your opinion about this proposal in English itself for the time being so that Henry and Site Staff may become aware of the contents of your reply and may feel the need and importance of introducing the Hindi forum.

[quote]Narasimhan Raghavan wrote:

Hindi forum ke bare me padkar bahut kush hua.Pranam,
N.Raghavan
[quote]

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 05:18
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Maybe illegible Aug 29, 2004

Anil Goyal wrote:

अनिल गोयल

but very nice

The way it has worked before is with people showing their interest, keep on the effort. And good luck

Claudia

xxxBrandis
Local time: 10:18
English to German
+ ...
Congratulations Aug 29, 2004

langclinic wrote:

Hindi is the national language of India. More than 180 million people in India speak Hindi as their mother tongue. Another 300 million use it as second language. And there are millions of Hindi speakers outside India also. It ranks among one of the five most widely spoken languages in the world.
There are as many as 414 freelancers and 201 agencies on Proz.com specifically dealing in English>Hindi combination.

Therefore, it is desirable that a Hindi forum be introduced so that the matters related to Hindi and Hindi translation should be discussed in details. I request all my friends dealing in Hindi translation to offer their views and support the demand for a Hindi forum as it would provide us with a useful platform to interact about the topics, matters and problems concerning our own language.
I find it a good idea. Would the communication be in Hindi (in Hindi font ) or Hindi in Western font!! Which font would you suggest Hindi / Hindi.
Rgds,
Brandis

India
Member (2008)
English to Hindi
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for evincing interest Aug 29, 2004

It will be upto the participants to express their thoughts in a manner which is more convenient and practicable for them. If they are not conversant with the Hindi keyboard, they may write Hindi by using the Roman script which means they may write in Hindi by means of English keyboard. However, if they have got the knowledge of Hindi Unicode, they may send their postings in Hindi itself which will be more preferable. The basic idea is we should discuss various issues concerning our language in Hindi iteself.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

Brandis wrote:

langclinic wrote:

I find it a good idea. Would the communication be in Hindi (in Hindi font ) or Hindi in Western font!! Which font would you suggest Hindi / Hindi.
Rgds,
Brandis

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:18
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
displaying the script Aug 29, 2004

Anil wrote: 4:07am

LATER:
After a while puzzling about it, I've since found it's not too difficult to set up a browser to display the letters directly (using a suitable unicode font), even for people who don't work in Hindi. (Separately: as Roomy says, later in the thread, the same applies to Gujarati:-))

[Edited at 2004-09-16 15:55]

PRAKAASH  Identity Verified
India
Member (2007)
English to Hindi
+ ...
Hindi's essence and importance for proz site!. Aug 30, 2004

Hindi is not only the national language of India but also a loved one of many people through different hindi songs, music, movies etc. Lots of people in Russia, Africa, America, Europe, Nepal enjoys Hindi songs even if they don't know the meaning of the songs. They just enjoy the sweetness of Hindi words. One should know that many Hindi words are also widely accepted in English as well. Some of the words are - Jungle, Chapati etc.

Moreover, there are various accents involved in Hindi language which have a rich literature in themselves such as Maithili, Bhojpuri etc.

Hindi is the modern form of Sanskrit-apbhransh-paali-praakrit languages which was used in ancient India.

Moreover, I feel that each one is aware of
Rajkapoor's hindi movies' popularity in Russia.
Amitabh Bachhan's popularity all over the world.
Vajpayees historic Hindi speech in United Nations.
etc.

Moreover, Hindi has a rich culture and literature. If you have gone through Madhushala written by Harivansharaya Bachhan father of Amitabh Bachhan, then you may perhaps have forgotten Shakespeare's, Keith's poetries as it is beautifully written.

Also, folksongs in different accents of Hindi are considered as more melodious than modern pop songs or English songs in villages and innermost part of India.

It's widely accepted language in Nepal as well. It's used in markets and villages here as well. One can see many Indians who are working here and earning in Nepal.

In the national slogan of India as well i.e. JAI HIND, it's hindi involved.

Also, hindi word is synonym of Indians. Just remember, Hindi hain hum watan hai, hindustan hamaaraa.......(excerpt from Sara Jahan se Acha)

Perhaps these lines are sufficient to convince proz community that Hindi needs priority in Proz site as well!

There are many things that can be told but perhaps time will not allow me so that's all for now! I'll reply back again if needed!

Warm Regards!
PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKAASH
prakaasharmaa@rediffmail.com
+977 56 530738
(FREELANCE TRANSLATOR OF HINDI, NEPALI AND SANSKRIT TO ENGLISH AND VICE VERSA)

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Introduction of Hindi Forum (K)

Advanced search

memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs