When is a KudoZ not a KudoZ?
Thread poster: Andy Watkinson

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Local time: 18:52
Catalan to English
+ ...
Apr 26, 2002

One of my clients routinely assumes that the rest of the world operates in the same way as they do in Spain.

This means that a typical document will ask English customers, for example, to bring their identity cards with them (!?) or other pieces of paper which abound in Spain but are non-existent in the UK.(He was perplexed to learn that UK citizens don\'t have a \"certificado de antecedentes penales\" - a \"criminal record certificate\" to prove that you don\'t have a criminal record.¡País! Unthinkable in the UK, but once a standard requirement when applying for a job in Spain).I adapt their texts and include this as part of the work, obviously.

His latest exploit was to request that customers provide proof of having paid a tax which, never having been self-employed in the UK, I didn\'t know whether or not existed.

My question was therefore:

a) Does the tax exist in the UK?

b) If so, what\'s it called?

Someone indicated that KudoZ was not the correct place to post this question.

Where should I have posted it, please? The Spanish forum?

P.S. This question is also in \"the wrong place\", I suppose - this forum is for \"Suggestions\".

Direct link Reply with quote

John Kinory
Local time: 17:52
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Please explain May 5, 2002

Andy,

If you post the Spanish term as a Kudoz question, I have no doubt that members will try to find an equivalent English term. In the process we are bound to discover whether such a thing does exist in the UK (if it hasn\'t up to now, I akm sure Gordon Brown introduced it in the latest budget!).

I am curious; what IS this tax?

Cheers,

John
[addsig]

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
IAE - Business Tax May 6, 2002

Hi John,

Not a tax in the sense of a scalable rate based on income. It\'s a one-off payment which self-employed people must pay in Spain.

I rather naively assumed that the Chancellor was better house-trained than to institute such a thing in the UK but was told it\'s actually been about for years.

Cheers,

Andy

John Kinory
Local time: 17:52
English to Hebrew
+ ...
It doesn't exist in the UK May 6, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-06 16:51, andycw wrote:

Not a tax in the sense of a scalable rate based on income. It\'s a one-off payment which self-employed people must pay in Spain.

I rather naively assumed that the Chancellor was better house-trained than to institute such a thing in the UK but was told it\'s actually been about for years.

Not to my knoweledge, and I have been self-employed for over 10 years. What you pay is

(a) National insurance contributions (NIC), nowadays collected by the Inland Revenue and not by the Department of Social Security (or whatever newfangled name \'Labour\' has invented for it) - a fixed amount per week, currently GBP 2, + a complicated percentage with a threshold and a ceiling (except the latter has just been abolished - surprise surprise).

(b) Income tax in the usual way.

That\'s all, folks (as though it weren\'t enough PLUS).
[addsig]

xxxAnneM  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
yearly tax Jun 3, 2002

Not much help with the situation in England but to my understanding the IAE is not a one-off tax but a yearly tax paid by self-employed professionals and SMEs - basically anyone out there making money. Basically you need to pay an IAE for every service you are offering ie. if you are a translator and a graphic designer you need two IAEs, one for each. The price varies depending on where you live, how big your office is, etc..

I\'m not sure of the ins & outs but I believe the majority, if not all of this money goes to the ayuntamientos (town councils) and is a very big source of income for them. If I remember rightly the PP suggested suppressing this tax a couple of years ago - a suggestion which was very popular with the business community and obviously not so popular with the \'municipios\', who demanded an alternative source of income from the government.

Maybe it doesn\'t exist in many countries because they don\'t have the same localised structures as here in Spain, where every village has a \'town council\'.

In any case, \'toca pagar\' & if it wasn\'t here, they\'d find some other way...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

When is a KudoZ not a KudoZ?

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
SDL MultiTerm 2015
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software.

SDL MultiTerm 2015 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2015 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs