An urgent button for KudoZ questions (T)
Thread poster: Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop
Stuart Allsop  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 15:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 21, 2004

Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but it just occurred to me that all of us occasionally need an answer "RIGHT NOW! PLEASE!", and would like to draw the attention of others to our impending doom.

Would it be useful to have a "this question is really urgent!" button on the "ask question" page, which would cause that question to be highlighted in a different color (maybe red?) on the "answer questions" page? I'm thinking of something like the "Easy" button and color that we h
... See more
Not sure if this is a good idea or not, but it just occurred to me that all of us occasionally need an answer "RIGHT NOW! PLEASE!", and would like to draw the attention of others to our impending doom.

Would it be useful to have a "this question is really urgent!" button on the "ask question" page, which would cause that question to be highlighted in a different color (maybe red?) on the "answer questions" page? I'm thinking of something like the "Easy" button and color that we have right now, and doing something similar for "urgent" requests.

Of course, it would also be open to abuse, with some folks hitting "Urgent!" for every single question (another reason to have askers names listed on the answer page?!), but in general people do seem to behave responsibly, and do use the "homework/test" button honestly, so I don't think that would be an issue.

I honestly don't know if it would be useful or not. It might also make the "answer" page look like a rainbow if we start color-coding too much! But it should be possible to have the "urgent" color revert to normal after, say three hours, or after the first reply, or some such.

Is this any use? Has it been suggested before?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 14:28]
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 21:21
English to Dutch
+ ...
Good suggestion Sep 21, 2004

Stuart Allsop wrote:

Would it be useful to have a "this question is really urgent!" button on the "ask question" page, which would cause that question to be highlighted in a different color (maybe red?) on the "answer questions" page? I'm thinking of something like the "Easy" button and color that we have right now, and doing something similar for "urgent" requests.

Of course, it would also be open to abuse, with some folks hitting "Urgent!" for every single question (another reason to have askers names listed on the answer page?!), but in general people do seem to behave responsibly, and do use the "homework/test" button honestly, so I don't think that would be an issue.

I honestly don't know if it would be useful or not. It might also make the "answer" page look like a rainbow if we start color-coding too much! But it should be possible to have the "urgent" color revert to normal after, say three hours, or after the first reply, or some such.

Is this any use? Has it been suggested before?

I don't recall your suggestion has been voiced before, but I surely think we should give it some thought.
As long as we don't abuse it.
Since deadlines are often very tight, this feature could indeed cause the site to become 'rainbowish', if we were to use colours.

Anyone from ProZ.com staff reading this?

Sarah Downing
Sarah Downing  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Good Idea Sep 21, 2004

Hi Stuart,

I don't think this has been suggested before, but whether it has or not I think it's a very good idea.

Lots of people tend to state in their question that it's urgent anyway, but if it were highlighted in red this would attract even more attention.

I hope the mods are listening and this gets implemented!

All the best,

Sarah

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
It's all urgent Sep 22, 2004

In my own case, when I'm on the site and see something I can answer, I jump on it.

That's because I know that there are several more out there trying to do the same. So there's no need to call it urgent, it's all urgent!

On the other hand, if no one knows the answer it can take some time no matter what you call it.

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 22:21
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
A drawback Sep 22, 2004

Dear Stuart,

I agree with Henry Hinds: in most cases, a question is answered when an answerer is ready. In major pairs, most of the questions are answered fast enough. In less active pairs even a desperate call for an urgent help would be hardly heard anyway.

Also, I see a drawback which looks quite serious to me: noting such an "Urgent" sign, some answerer may propose the first thing which come into their minds -- with an eye to a quick grading.
Ultimately, it wi
... See more
Dear Stuart,

I agree with Henry Hinds: in most cases, a question is answered when an answerer is ready. In major pairs, most of the questions are answered fast enough. In less active pairs even a desperate call for an urgent help would be hardly heard anyway.

Also, I see a drawback which looks quite serious to me: noting such an "Urgent" sign, some answerer may propose the first thing which come into their minds -- with an eye to a quick grading.
Ultimately, it will cause the asker more harm than help. So, probably, askers using such a feature should be warned against quick grading or even prohibited to grade their Urgent answers less than in 24 hours.

[Edited at 2004-09-22 05:10]
Collapse

Fuad Yahya
Fuad Yahya  Identity Verified
Arabic
+ ...
Demands for quick responses usually elicit negative reactions Sep 22, 2004

From what I have seen, every time somebody indicates an urgent need for a quick response, the reaction of respondents runs something like "where do you think you are? at Burger King? We provide you with a pro bono service as a courtesy to a fellow professional. The least you can do is reciprocate the courtesy, not demand quicker service," or something along these lines.

Patricia Posadas
Patricia Posadas  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 20:21
English to Spanish
+ ...
A good idea Sep 22, 2004

Unlike Henry I only look into KudoZ questions from time to time, either when I want to take a break or when I have 5 minutes to spare.

If I know someone needs an urgent answer I may look into it to see if I can help, specially in French were we are fewer members taking part in KudoZ.

I usually ask questions when in need of urgent answers myself, I think most times I might find the answer if I had the time:-)

Also, this 'urgent' function might avoid people
... See more
Unlike Henry I only look into KudoZ questions from time to time, either when I want to take a break or when I have 5 minutes to spare.

If I know someone needs an urgent answer I may look into it to see if I can help, specially in French were we are fewer members taking part in KudoZ.

I usually ask questions when in need of urgent answers myself, I think most times I might find the answer if I had the time:-)

Also, this 'urgent' function might avoid people trying to find an answer nobody needs any more...
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
I like the idea Sep 22, 2004

I used to "jump on" questions, but I don't any more, and if I saw "urgent" in the notifications that arrive at my e-box, I'd go immediately at the question to see whether I have an idea about the answer (as I don't look at the questions in the main page any more neither, it should appear in the notification).

Answers might be less good, more superficial, but as long as confidence bar is O.K. or comment reflects that it's an idea or suggestion, there should be no problem and neverthe
... See more
I used to "jump on" questions, but I don't any more, and if I saw "urgent" in the notifications that arrive at my e-box, I'd go immediately at the question to see whether I have an idea about the answer (as I don't look at the questions in the main page any more neither, it should appear in the notification).

Answers might be less good, more superficial, but as long as confidence bar is O.K. or comment reflects that it's an idea or suggestion, there should be no problem and nevertheless be of some help.

About Fuad's comment, I think that it's all in the way of asking for urgent help. I've seen many requests explaining that the translator is tired, the deadline is almost reached and asking for help, and nobody complains. If it sounds like an order (from these people that never say "thank you" either), I might complain too.

Yes, adding it to the two existing options (tests-homework and offensive) might be useful. Abuse should be controlled and "urgent" should be defined.

Claudia
Collapse

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:21
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Possible negative reactions Sep 22, 2004

Hi,

I think that any question is urgent and potential answerers know that very well. Questions are answered within minutes, apart from a few cases, so I see an extra stress on the urgency not necessary.

I agree with Fuad on all counts.

Giuliana

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

An urgent button for KudoZ questions (T)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »