Thread poster: Giacomo Camaiora
Giacomo Camaiora  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 09:01
English to Italian
+ ...
Apr 29, 2002

To Jason/Henry

As the deadlines of the jobs posted on ProZ.com are generally specified in terms of GMT time, which changes around the world, I suppose that it would be useful to have a mean to quickly evaluate the local dealines (valid for bidders). For this, I propose to add somewhere in the ProZ.com site a web page providing the GMT times relevant to the various areas of the world.

To support my idea I prepared a draft proposal (html web page) which will be sent to Jason/Henry shortly. This proposal can be used for comparing the GMT times of different points of the world.

My proposal is an example only, its content is not exahustive and most of the reported town names are still written in Italian language; the below list summarizes what reported in my proposed \"Times page\".

---------------------------

User Local Time;

GMT-12: Eniwetok;

GMT-11: Samoa;

GMT-10: Honolulu;

GMT-9: Anchorage;

GMT-8: San Francisco;

GMT-7: Denver;

GMT-6: Chicago, Citta del Messico;

GMT-5: New York, L\'Avana, Lima, Panama.

GMT-4: Santiago, Whashinton.

GMT-3: Buones Aires, Brasilia.

GMT-2: Mid-Atlantic.

GMT-1: Azores.

GMT: Greenwich, Lisbona, Londra.

GMT+1: Madrid, Varsavia (DE, FR, IT, CH, AUT).

GMT+2: Atene, Bucarest, Budapest, Helsinky, Il Cairo, Tel_Aviv, Tripoli, Kiev, Johannesburg.

GMT+3: Gibuti, Mosca, Nairobi, Riad.

GMT+4: Baku

GMT+5: New Delhi.

GMT+6: Dhakar

GMT+7: Bangkok, Novosibirsk, Vladivostok.

GMT+8: Hong Kong, Manila, Pechino, Perth.

GMT+9: Tokio, Suel.

GMT+10: Sydney.

GMT+11: Magadan

GMT+12: Wellington

Regards

Giacomo

N. 22044

Direct link Reply with quote

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
URL Apr 29, 2002

In the meantime, you can use this site:

http://www.worldtimezone.com/

xxxivw
English to Hungarian
+ ...
GMT is GMT.... Apr 29, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-04-29 00:20, giacomocam wrote:

..deadlines of the jobs posted on ProZ.com are generally specified in terms of GMT time, which changes around the world

Dear Giacomo:

I\'m not sure I follow. What do you mean by \"GMT time, which changes around the world...\" ?

As far as I know, GMT [Grinich Mean Time] is one and only. An individual tranlator might have to locate him/herself on the globe, finding his/her location compared to GMT. Why assume we all have difficulty in doing basic math, i.e. calculating the time zone difference with a specific agency/colleague?

I\'m not sure your proposed chart is all that necessary...

jccantrell  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:01
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
time offsets Apr 29, 2002

Giacomo,

Would those Local Times of yours be Standard local times or Daylight savings times?

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Clarification Apr 30, 2002

For sure \"IVW\" member is right; there is only one GMT time, that is the Greenwich time. My statement simply means that each bidder has to locally allocate the GMT time to obtain a good time reference: ..... GMT-2, GMT-1, GMT, GMT+1, GMT+2,.....; my proposal was aimed at helping translators to rapidly assess these allocated times.

Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Apr 30, 2002

To \'jccantrell\'

To be honest, I ignore the meaning of \"standard local\" and \"daylight savings\" times.

What is needed is a \"function\" that associates a number to each world position, in such a way that this number plus the GMT time provides the good local time reference.

For example, if a UK agency states that the job deadline is equal to 10:30 am, a French bidder knows that its corresponding deadline is equal to 11:30, as in France the good time reference is GMT+1.

Anyway, the web site indicated by \'Ralf\' seems good enough to satisfies the bidders needs.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Work times information

Advanced search

TransPDF.com PDF Translation
Fast and Reliable PDF Translation - reduce your workload while maintaining quality

Unlock the potential of PDFs, taking your original PDF, replacing the text with your translations from your preferred tools and in minutes, get a high quality, ready-to-use, translated PDF. Try it now - your first 50 pages are free.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs