Mobile menu

Asking too many KudoZ questions
Thread poster: DrSantos
DrSantos
Local time: 08:58
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
Aug 31, 2001

On Aug. 30, someone put over 60 questions/terms commonly found in ordinary dictionaries. They were English>Portuguese.

It blew my Postal box!

The asker was the same person unable/incapable or too lazy to look into dictionaries.

SUGGESTION: a same person SHOULD NOT BE ALLOWED to put more than half-dozen questions in a 24 hours period! It damages other people\'s INBOX!

Direct link Reply with quote

DrSantos
Russian to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sep 8, 2001

I have noticed that this abuse of KudoZ questions is a deliberate \"effort\" of a particular member of the English>Portuguese community to obtain KudoZ points. The fake questions are asked by friends who invariably award the points to the person in question. It would be just an innocent funny, albeit juvenile, game if not by the fact that it is highly INCONSIDERATE to the colleagues who waste their time, and have their Inbox full of \"fixed\" questions!

HOW could we stop this nonsense?

jcpmf
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Sep 18, 2001

I would think the best way to fight improper use of the community system is by enforcing moderation by authorized members. That is, there is no perfect way to prevent this type of problem.

My best bet would be to add more moderators and give them the power to squash fixed kudoz questions like you described.

Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Dutch
+ ...
Sep 18, 2001

[quote]

On 2001-09-08 22:16, DrSantos wrote:

I have noticed that this abuse of KudoZ questions is a deliberate \"effort\" of a particular member of the English>Portuguese community to obtain KudoZ points. The fake questions are asked by friends who invariably award the points to the person in question. It would be just an innocent funny, albeit juvenile, game if not by the fact that it is highly INCONSIDERATE to the colleagues who waste their time, and have their Inbox full of \"fixed\" questions!

HOW could we stop this nonsense?

[unquote]

Good evening,

I suggest you send this posting to Henry Dotterer at info@proz.com, as this should not be allowed. If indeed your allegation proves to be correct, the undeserved Kudoz points will surely \'disappear\'

Best regards,

Evert Deloof-Sys

InaS  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2004)
French to German
+ ...
Misuse of Kudoz Questions Nov 5, 2001

This kind of misusing the ProzCommunity as a dictionary for the most common expressions is not only restricted to English/Portuguese! Whereas at the beginning of the year I only recieved question concerning real problems of translation, I now only receive the most ridiculous questions concerning french and portuguese expressions that could easily be solved by looking into a dictionary. I find this most annoying! In my opinion these people are either lazy or they don\'t know what translation is about and should keep away from it instead of filling up our mailboxes!

Halina Arendt  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:58
English to Polish
+ ...
How do you remove this? Nov 30, 2001

How do you remove this message?<br><br><font size=2>[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-01 05:14 ]</font>

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-04 13:22 ]

Halina Arendt  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Misuse of Kudoz Questions Nov 30, 2001

I guess there will always be someone in every language combination, and so is the case with Polish. Perhaps the solution could be to balance the number of credits (points acquired) with the number of questions asked. In other words the idea should be \"to give and take\" e.g. contribute rather than just take advantages from the site. Points could be viewed as money which has to be earned first before it can be spent. Perhaps this could stop this periodical deluge of unprofessional questions and the abuse of the system, whereby the whole assignments are done by communal effort in exchange for the free points. The harder gained points would also elevate the status of those who earn them.

John Kinory
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Hear, hear! Dec 8, 2001

It happens in Ger>Eng, and over the past 2 days it has become a farce.

The reasons seem to be:

a) laziness / incompetence: these people should not be translators. How on earth can you post a question about Donau (the Danube) if you claim to be a Ger>Eng translator??

b) doing sample translations as part of job bids - 1000 words in 12 hrs x 3 times a day can only be done in a language you are no good at, if you exploit Proz professionals.

c) scams as described above. Never mind deleting the points - these people should be booted out.

JK
[addsig]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Asking too many KudoZ questions

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs