Mobile menu

translator ranking should be by KudoZ in pair, not kudoz overall
Thread poster: Roland Grefer

Roland Grefer
Local time: 16:20
German to English
+ ...
Aug 31, 2001

Please forgive me if this subject has already been covered before; I\'ve just been around ProZ for about a month, so I\'m not that familiar, yet, with all the intricacies of the site.

I\'m somewhat puzzled by the KudoZ based ranking in \"Search for pros\". When a specific language pair, including direction, is selected, the ranking in the displayed list of pros is based on the overall number of KudoZ points accumulated, rather than those indicative of the pro\'s merit in the specific language combination in question.

Let\'s take today\'s \"Top 10\" Platinum members in a search of \"English>German / Any field\" as an example:

# Applicable Overall

KudoZ KudoZ

1 1371 4345

2 35 2611

3 465 1326

4 - 801

5 240 760

6 83 501

7 201 375

8 81 352

9 120 346

10 138 323

Quite frankly, as a customer, I would not so much be interested in the amount of KudoZ accumulated in other languages, but my primary concern would be the merit/knowledeability displayed in the language pair and direction I\'ve looked up, and my secondary concern would be the reverse direction.

As a customer looking for a pro with a specific skill set, I probably couldn\'t care less about my potential contractor\'s abilities in other language combinations.

Just food for thought. I don\'t mean to offend anybody with this ranting, and hope I did not. The only thing I\'m trying to do, is to exercise some constructive criticism of this very helpful and useful site, in the hopes that we together can improve its usability even beyond the current level(s).

Regards,

Roland

Direct link

Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:20
SITE FOUNDER
Ranking is now done by KudoZ in pair, not overall kudoz Oct 8, 2001

Roland, you (and others) are right. I have made the change.

Direct link

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

translator ranking should be by KudoZ in pair, not kudoz overall

Advanced search

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search