Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >
How about a "Like" button for ProZ.com forum posts?
Thread poster: philgoddard
philgoddard
philgoddard
United States
German to English
+ ...
Jul 11, 2013

I often read forum posts that make me think, or laugh, or both, and it would be nice to express my appreciation for them without necessarily posting a response.

I just did a search to see if this question had been asked already, and while I didn't find it, I did find lots of posts saying words to the effect of "If there were a Like button, I'd be pressing it now."

What do you think?

János Untener
János Untener  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 05:32
Member (2010)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I advise against it Jul 11, 2013

The negative effects of likes/upvotes/agrees you see on social media sites:
The objectivity of the posts immediately declines
Witty but pointless one-liners appear
People start wasting their time checking their likes
And most importantly: "liking" something does not add plus content

This is a professional site and I see no professional reason why they should implement it.
What's next? Poking your colleagues?

U

[Edited at 2013-07-11
... See more

This is a professional site and I see no professional reason why they should implement it.

U

[Edited at 2013-07-11 18:33 GMT]
Collapse

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
French to Italian
+ ...
Against it 2 Jul 11, 2013

János Untener wrote:

something does not add plus content

For the aforementioned reasons

Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)
Evonymus (Ewa Kazmierczak)  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2010)
English to Polish
+ ...
:) Jul 11, 2013

János Untener wrote:
U

[Edited at 2013-07-11 18:33 GMT]

And now they/we are wasting time checking if anyone replied "agree"
It's their/our time

philgoddard wrote:
What do you think?

Ewa

[Edited at 2013-07-11 18:51 GMT]

[Edited at 2013-07-11 18:54 GMT]

2GT
2GT  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
If there were a Like button, I'd be pressing it now Jul 11, 2013

philgoddard:
I often read forum posts that make me think, or laugh, or both, and it would be nice to express my appreciation for them without necessarily posting a response.

I just did a search to see if this question had been asked already, and while I didn't find it, I did find lots of posts saying words to the effect of "If there were a Like button, I'd be pressing it now."

What do you think?

I would also add another function which lets you hide specific users' posts, as I have seen in many other professional forums.

Josephine Cassar
Josephine Cassar  Identity Verified
Malta
Member (2012)
English to Maltese
+ ...
Like Button Jul 11, 2013

I often felt like-if only there was a like button to something someone said- not necessarily for the whole post. However, I also realise the danger of such a button, as people might feel inclined to check all the time. It is a hassle answering to a whole post sometimes

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
How about an improved "Like" function, instead? Jul 12, 2013

philgoddard wrote:

I agree that such a feature would be nice. It would result in better quality forum threads because people would not be forced to write complete replies when all they really want to do is "Like" the post. But the problem with "Like" or such buttons is that they quickly get used for things that are not their original meaning. For example, if someone posts sad news on FB, you have to press "Like" to indicate that you *don't* like it.

What I would find useful is the ability to write very short comments, i.e. "quick comments". One can place a character limit on such comments (say, 100 characters), and integrate it into the thread layout so that it doesn't interfere with the flow of the conversation (e.g. let it appear directly under the post that it refers to, in smaller font. Have a rule (hope it gets enforced) that you're not allowed to reply to quick comments by adding more quick comments.

Right now, if you write a "Like" type of reply, your reply appears at the bottom of the thread, far away from the message that you're "liking", and it interrupts the thread. People who visit the thread have to navigate both "Like" type of posts and posts that actually say something new.

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:32
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Dislike Jul 12, 2013

I joined Facebook in its early days when my daughter nominated me as a "friend", but I soon took an intense dislike to it and all its works. It didn't give any clue how to leave it, I had to look it up on Google, and it was a complicated process. I would hate to see "like" buttons, "friend" nominations and all that wide-circulation Facebook-style chitchat appearing on ProZ.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Like +1 Jul 12, 2013

I'd definitely like a like button.

Far too much space is taken up in threads by people quoting an entire post just to write "I agree" underneath it.

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Me too Jul 12, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I'd definitely like a like button.

Far too much space is taken up in threads by people quoting an entire post just to write "I agree" underneath it.

Definitely a good idea. It's up to individuals whether they check back for "Likes" on their own posts, but it gives posters support and indicates to others that a post might be worth reading at a quick glance.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
Hear, hear. Jul 12, 2013

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

When I "like" something someone said, I simply write "Hear, hear" in the title line, and perhaps shorten the quoted part of the text to the bit I'm specifically responding to, and if I have nothing else to say, because you must place something in the topic body space, just type a period...

"The correct term is, 'hear, hear!' It is an abbreviation for 'hear, all ye good people, hear what this brilliant and eloquent speaker has to say!'" (http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1489/why-do-people-say-hear-hear )

" Hear hear (Wikipedia):
…Hear, hear is an expression used as a short repeated form of hear ye and hear him. It represents a listener's agreement with the point being made by a speaker.

It was originally an imperative for directing attention to speakers, and has since been used, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, as “the regular form of cheering in the House of Commons”, with many purposes depending on the intonation of its user. It is often incorrectly spelled “here here”, especially on websites…" (http://www.unbecominglevity.com/2008/11/10/hear-hear-or-here-here/ )

How about a hear, hear button?

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
German to English
Like Jul 12, 2013

I think that a "like" button is a quick and easy way to approve of a post without, as others have said, the time and space-consuming process of quoting it in full form. I can't see how it would have any significantly adverse effect on users who do not feel a need for it.

Steve K.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Not a "like"; but a comment box would be great Jul 12, 2013

Samuel Murray wrote:
What I would find useful is the ability to write very short comments, i.e. "quick comments". One can place a character limit on such comments (say, 100 characters), and integrate it into the thread layout so that it doesn't interfere with the flow of the conversation (e.g. let it appear directly under the post that it refers to, in smaller font. Have a rule (hope it gets enforced) that you're not allowed to reply to quick comments by adding more quick comments.

Please let's not let ProZ.com go down the same route as Facebook. You can't have one button that says:
I agree
That's funny
Thanks
No opinion about most of the post, but I like sentence 6
My sympathy
Good luck!
Bad luck!
Been there, done that.

All those and more are placed in replies further down the thread. I don't find them particularly intrusive, though it is annoying when someone quotes the entire post just to leave a comment. However, it would be great if they could be stored in a little box with the original post. And to have the option of linking your short comment to a particular quote within the post would be even better.

I own a Kindle and I sometimes notice some text is underlined and if I were to click on it I'd find out what people had said about it. Perhaps something along those lines would work?

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
@Sheila Jul 12, 2013

Sheila Wilson wrote:
It would be great if [quick comments] could be stored in a little box with the original post.

Thanks for the support.

And to have the option of linking your short comment to a particular quote within the post would be even better. ... I own a Kindle and I sometimes notice some text is underlined and if I were to click on it I'd find out what people had said about it. Perhaps something along those lines would work?

I think that if people want to comment on something specific in a post, then a full reply with quoted text is suitable. I would not object to what you suggest, but I don't think it is necessary. Yes, the quick comment feature would be limited in that you can't see what the person is agreeing with (if he agrees with a very specific piece of text), but that is exactly what is happening now anyway -- people post "agree" posts without saying what exactly they agree with, i.e. they agree with the author's sentiments in general and not with something specific that he had said.

Max Deryagin
Max Deryagin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 08:32
Member (2013)
English to Russian
This is a no-no Jul 12, 2013

János Untener wrote:

Spot on. Whoever knows what Reddit is will definitely dislike the idea.

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How about a "Like" button for ProZ.com forum posts?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »