Mobile menu

Ward off common forum postings previously answered (K)
Thread poster: Andrzej Lejman

Andrzej Lejman  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:05
German to Polish
+ ...
Oct 16, 2004

There should be an inscription somewhere near to the Forum window:

To all asking for help in editing pdf, bmp, jpeg, gif, tif and other graphic files - please check earlier Forum postings before sending a new post!

It becomes a little tiring...

Regards
Andrzej

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-01 22:45]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 14:12]

Direct link Reply with quote

Sylvain Leray  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
German to French
What about a howto? Oct 17, 2004

Hi Andrzej,

Since you complaint each time someone asks how to edit pdf files, why don't you submit a howto we could then indicate to the asker?

Best regards,
Sylvain

German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Same problem as with glossaries... Oct 17, 2004

...they are provided, but questions like "I love you" occur continuously.
Anyway, I can hardly understand, how people calling themselves "professionals", do not posses basic computer skills...

Since it IS basic, isn't it?

Regards
Andrzej

Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:05
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Good idea! Oct 17, 2004

Andrzej, maybe you could put together all the old links to the same questions, that would be very helpful (Sylvain's suggestion is very good too).

Maybe it's basic, but I'm very glad to find answers when I need them, and some people don't know how to search. For instance I sometimes have a problem with Deja Vu and I know that the problem has already been discussed but I don't know how to look for the information in the old messages (I'm talking about the DV yahoo list). There's always somebody to show me the way to find the information and I'm very thankful.

Claudia

Subhamay Ray  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:35
English to Bengali
+ ...
An ailment of our times? Oct 17, 2004

I'll go with Andrzej in this. More than any "professionalism" or "basic computer skills", perhaps it is a question of a little patience. If on the very first instance we have someone at hand with the meaning of a word, shall we ever go to a dictionary? Shall we ever take the trouble of opening a big tome and look up a word? Is it so difficult to find some very basic information about a software which is widely used everywhere without asking in the forum?

Robert Tucker
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
German to English
+ ...
Converters Oct 17, 2004

With Windows pdf to word/.doc converters costing from zero to several hundred dollars/euros/pounds, I'm sure some information on what to expect from each of them would make very interesting reading (even for Linux users).

Kevin Fulton
United States
Local time: 22:05
German to English
It's hopeless Oct 22, 2004

I belong to a regional translators' association. Every year I give a presentation on the topic "What every translator needs to know about ..."

I've tried simplifying my presentation every time, but I've dumbed it down to the point where I need to explain what a browser is.

Andrzej, I can certainly understand why you would want to refer people to previous discussions, but take it from me, this profession attracts a lot of people with very low computer skill levels.

At least Proz provides a forum for people to make inquiries about such matters while sparing the inquirers the embarassment of asking these questions in a "live" group. People join this forum all the time and are clueless about how to search for previous discussions.

Remember, you were once a "newbie" yourself. Just learn to ignore questions that you think are "dumb." You'll be a lot happier.
Cheers, Kevin

German to Polish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
It was twenty years ago... Oct 22, 2004

Kfulton wrote:

Remember, you were once a "newbie" yourself. Just learn to ignore questions that you think are "dumb." You'll be a lot happier.
Cheers, Kevin

I have started with Sinclair's Spectrum ...

Cheers
Andrzej

DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:05
Member (2003)
Georgian to English
+ ...
Maybe it would also help a bit to have a general label on the forums Oct 22, 2004

saying something like, "there is a lot of technical information in past forum postings. It often helps to make a search using the searchbox, first."

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Ward off common forum postings previously answered (K)

Advanced search

Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »
WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs