Mobile menu

Censorship
Thread poster: 5Q

5Q
Local time: 21:42
French to English
+ ...
May 2, 2002

Could somebody please explain to me why I discover this message when I clicked on a phrase to translate eng - fr.

\"The KudoZ question you are trying to access has been suppressed. It may have been judged inappropriate for this venue.

This question was Squashed by:

Geneviève von Levetzow

Reason: site abuse\"

I have followed the debates on hate mail and agressive language in forums and mails, but are we not heading towards censorship here? Just remember that whilst we must remain polite, swear words are a major part of everyday language and there are few films or books today that do not contain words such as the one deleted here.

Direct link Reply with quote

John Kinory
Local time: 20:42
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Explanation May 5, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-05-02 17:09, 5Q wrote:

Could somebody please explain to me why I discover this message when I clicked on a phrase to translate eng - fr.

\"The KudoZ question you are trying to access has been suppressed. It may have been judged inappropriate for this venue.

Hi,

Members with a certain number (500) of Kudoz points are authorised to quash questions, if in their opinion they create an unprofessional image of the site.

This could include:

Flame-wars between members (incl. insulting comments on other members\' answers, instead of factual/linguistic ones; racist attacks etc), or indeed non-members posting such attacks in the form of questions;

Abuse of the Kudoz system (posting a whole job in sections, pretending that they are individual terminology queries and expecting other members to translate it for you), or posting a discussion which should be placed in a forum thread;

and so on.

Sometimes it\'s just necessary to do this, to keep this site professional!

Regards,

John
[addsig]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Moderators can also "squash" May 6, 2002

In addition to what John pointed out, site moderators appointed by ProZ also have the right to deactivate (\"squash\") questions. When squashing, a reason must be given - if you disagree, please contact the moderator(s) for the language pair concerned (there\'s a link at the bottom of each question in that pair; also, there\'s a list of moderators under Info => ProZ.com Team => Moderators). Alternatively, contact ProZ using a Support Request.

Geneviève von Levetzow  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
French to German
+ ...
Squash May 13, 2002

Bonsoir,

c\'était moi la responsable.

J\'avais squashé des questions - je crois qu\'il y en avait au moins 20 en l\'espace d\'une heure - qui n\'étaient rien d\'autre que des devoirs qu\'un élève essayait de nous nous faire faire.

Ce qui arrive au moins une fois par semaine. Cette question des devoirs a été discutée dernièrement au salon français; vous pouvez y lire nos arguments.

Mais en principe nous ne voulons plus faire des devoirs...

Bonne soirée

Geneviève

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Censorship

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search