Against the new \"I am sure/I am guessing\" system
Thread poster: bea0
bea0  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 9, 2001

Disculpen que utilice este medio, pero quiero manifestar mi total desacuerdo con el nuevo sistema de \"I am sure/I am guessing\", por dos razones:

1. La opción prefijada por el sistema no es la de \"I am sure\". ¿No se supone que la mayoría damos respuestas sobre las que estamos seguros? En todo caso, ¿no es lo que se debería fomentar?

Me ha pasado de olvidarme de correr el punto, y que mi respuesta quede calificada como \"dudosa\". ¿Porqué tengo que correr ese riesgo? Considero que mi aporte, como el de todos los que participamos de Proz es muy valioso. ¿Porqué el sistema con frecuencia parece \"desproteger\" a los profesionales que participamos con seriedad y responsabilidad?

2. ¿No debería el sistema ocuparse de la calidad de las consultas? ¿Porqué no implementar un sistema parecido, en el que se consulte al \"asker\" antes de enviar la consulta si aportó suficiente contexto o, en caso de no contar con contexto, alguna referencia sobre el documento?

La falta de contexto es, salvo excepciones, la única razón que puede tener un profesional para animarse a \"adivinar\".

Me parece muy poco feliz la iniciativa. Para mejorar la calidad del sitio, creo que hay que empezar por las consultas. Si quien responde no es serio, tampoco lo será a la hora de autocalificar su respuesta.

¿Los responsables de Proz, realmente piensan que ese era el primer punto para mejorar el sitio?. ¿Alguien duda del excelente nivel de respuesta por parte de los profesionales? ¿Porqué empezar por ahí, y no por los \"askers\"?

El sistema no va a mejorar en la medida que sus responsables no cambien el pensamiento que se puede leer en el foro: \"que lo importante son las respuestas\". En mi opinión, lo importante son los profesionales que dan esas respuestas, porque si no se promueve un ámbito profesional y serio, difícilmente se obtengan buenos resultados.

Nosotros hacemos que Proz sea Proz. El sistema por cierto que nos beneficia también, pero no me parece justo que no se tome ninguna medida contra el abuso que se hace del sistema casi en forma diaria, o las consultas sin contexto o referencias, las consultas sin calificar, los usuarios no registrados que \"juegan\" con el sistema, la escasez de moderadores que \"moderen\", la falta de información a los usuarios que ingresan por primera vez y que no saben utilizar el sistema, etc.

Me gustaría conocer la opinión de todos.

Saludos.

p/d: Doy mi opinión, sin perjuicio del eterno agradecimiento a los responsables de Proz, especialmente a Henry, por el sitio y la posibilidad que nos brindan de poder intercambiar opiniones con excelentes profesionales de todo el mundo. Pero por todo lo que creo haber puesto en Proz es que me siento con el derecho de cuestionar el nuevo sistema.

Direct link Reply with quote

DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sep 17, 2001

Just a suggestion: perhaps you just might get more responses to your query if you phrased it in English for the benefit of those who do not read Spanish!

As for me, I think your thoughts have great merit!

Regards,

Rich

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:34
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
Sep 29, 2001

As I agree with Bea, I\'ll try to give a summary of what she says for others\' benefit.

She doesn\'t agree with the new \"I\'m sure/I\'m guessing\" system at all for two reasons:

1. The default option isn\'t \"I\'m sure\", and it should be given that we assume the majority of us give answers that we\'re sure about.

She has sometimes forgotten to change the option, so her answer has been graded as not sure. None of us should have to run the risk of this happening as all our contributions are valuable. Why does the system often \"not protect\" professionals who are responsible and serious about ProZ?

2. The system should deal with the quality of the questions. A similar system could be set up whereby the \"asker\" is asked, before posting the question, if there is enough context, or if there isn\'t any, for references about the document.

There are exceptions, but the lack of context is the only reason why a professional might \"guess\".

To improve the site, those responsible for Proz should start with the questions, and not the answers. If the people who reply are not serious, they won\'t be serious about grading their answers either.

The system isn\'t going to improve until the opinion you can read in the forum \"the answers are the most important\" changes. As far as Bea is concerned, the professionals that give these answers are the most important. It\'ll be difficult to get good results without promoting Proz as a professional and serious site.

We make Proz what it is. But she doesn\'t think it\'s fair that no steps are taken against the almost daily abuse of the system, or questions with no context or references, answers that are ungraded, unregistered users that \"play\" with the system, the lack of moderators \"moderating\", lack of info for users entering the site for the first time and who don\'t know how to use the system, etc.

She\'d like to know everyone\'s opinion.

PS. This is her opinion (and I hope I\'ve got it right Bea), but she\'s eternally grateful to those responsible for Proz, especially Henry, for the site, for the possibility of exchanging opinions with excellent professionals from all over the world. But as she\'s put a lot into Proz she feels she has the right to question the new system.

My personal input, I don\'t much like it either. Before the new system, I stated in my answer if I wasn\'t sure. I have always hated grading anything, and hesitate to put \"I\'m sure\" with 100% confidence, except in very few cases. After all, we can all make mistakes, and there\'s always another opinion just as valid or better than yours.

And I agree that something should be done about \"homework\" questions (I no longer receive notification of questions posted, it was just cluttering up my inbox too much when I\'m busy), about providing info for new users (I\'ve been here a month and gather things from looking at forums, etc., but there\'s still a great deal I don\'t understand - e.g. how to make my real name available for all to view. Can\'t seem to find this option!!) and ungraded questions.

Nikki Graham

PS Bea, forgive me if I haven\'t conveyed what you wanted to say correctly

bea0  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Sep 29, 2001

We have already discussed this issue under the following question:

http://www.proz.com/v3/glossary/84387?bs=1&eid_c=5324&keyword=justo

DR. RICHARD BAVRY
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 1, 2001

Well, that\'s what I call gratitude, Nikki! I, for one, appreciate your kind efforts on Bea\'s behalf...unsolicited, to be sure, but certainly a well-intended gesture!

Regards,

Rich

bea0  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you, Nikki! Oct 21, 2001

Thank you very much, Nikki! I just \"copied and pasted\" my opinion, that was originally posted as a question under my language pair. And, at that moment, I couldn\'t take the time to translate it for all colleagues.

But, in order to avoid misunderstandings, and as I had the same problem under some other issues, I would be grateful if Proz people could consider posting messages in the order *****in which they are received*****. Or, even better, to allow opinions to be posted automatically. (They could be squashed later, if considered to be inappropriate). But I think the order shouldn\'t be manipulated.

Once again, I appreciate very much Nikki\'s support and help.

Thank you,

Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Postings shown do appear in the order that they were received. Oct 21, 2001

Forum postings made by non-paying members are screened before they appear. This was not the way the system was designed, and not the way I would prefer the system operate. But the extra step was necessary because of abuse (by a very small number of users.)

Note that there is no shuffling of order; postings which have been screened *are* shown in the order that they were received.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Against the new \"I am sure/I am guessing\" system

Advanced search

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs