Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >
No Identity, No Profile
Thread poster: Henry Hinds
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:13
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree. Sep 27, 2014

Henry Hinds wrote:

I am curious to know what people here think of a very common phenomenon, translators who register on the site and do not reveal their identity; that is they hide behind a pseudonym (some of which are quite infantile or silly) and/or fail to provide any profile or concrete information on themselves. I believe that anyone acting in good faith and interested in the field should be welcome to participate. However, it is also my opinion that the above phenomenon does not reflect professionalism and detracts from a serious image for the site to the detriment of those of us who are serious. In addition, I can only see it as a self-imposed handicap when these persons attempt to get work assignments, for who wants to hire someone who is unidentified and anonymous?

Another related matter might be false registrations and profiles, which I think Proz tries to eliminate, but it is not always easy. The solution I propose could help there also.

But in the first case, I think it would be a healthy practice for Proz to require registrants on the site, free as well as paid members, to properly identify themselves publicly by their true name and create at least an accurate though minimal profile including certain basic information. This could be done by allowing a certain grace period that new registrants would have to provide documentation to Proz by mail.

Maybe some have reasons for not identifying themselves, such as avoiding creditors, bill collectors, ex-spouses, law enforcement, etc., or maybe they fear being stalked or harassed which I don't think is much of a problem. Plus, just being in existence means that now and then scammers will attempt to contect you; you just reject them. I do not consider any such reasons to be valid. If you don't want to be identified, then just don't register.

What do colleagues and Proz think of this proposal?

This is why I proposed some time ago to add a Facebook-like button called "Agree" or "I like" in order to press it when I agree with anyone writing detailed posts like this. Thus, we would see how many Proz users, who don't necessarily write an opinion, agree with it.

I copied the most relevant part to me:
If you don't want to be identified, then just don't register.

Yes, identification is essential everytime we want to go into a building (banks, government, commerce, even residential buildings, etc.).

X: Good monrning, Sir.
Y: Good morning, my friend. I have an appointment with Mr. B in the 14 th floor.
X: Sure, what's your name?
Y: I'm EL SUAVECITO.
X: What??? Is SUAVECITO your last name?
Y: Well, no, that's my nick.
X: You have and ID with that nick??
Y: No, but....
X: Come on, next....

So I think Proz should apply this identification criterion with real ID cards even for those of us who registered some years ago.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 19:13
Catalan to English
+ ...
Déjà vu Sep 27, 2014

The post to which I was originally going to reply has been removed.

A wise decision, for once.

Must admit to being rather surprised at Henry's initial post. Empty or otherwise uninformative profiles are hardly a new feature.
......'twas ever so, Henry, even when we both became members here between 14-15 years ago.

The site's policy (with which I agree for once - purely given the nature of the site per se) is reasonable. The arguments for this "non-fu
... See more
The post to which I was originally going to reply has been removed.

A wise decision, for once.

Must admit to being rather surprised at Henry's initial post. Empty or otherwise uninformative profiles are hardly a new feature.
......'twas ever so, Henry, even when we both became members here between 14-15 years ago.

The site's policy (with which I agree for once - purely given the nature of the site per se) is reasonable. The arguments for this "non-full disclosure" policy have been amply set out above far better by others than I could.

Couple more points:

Yaotl, your idea is impracticable and undesirable, apart from misguided, sorry.

Texte, Oso was not hounded out for not revealing who she was, but for misrepresentation and fraud.
I worked in her language pair and she became KudoZ leader in record time solely by using multiple fake profiles: she deceived her colleagues, prospective clients, everyone...she abused the system and ergo sympathies are not in order.

I realise it's "bad form" to quote oneself, but I should explain the reason for the title of this post - it's nothing new.

A similar tirade was launched against those of us who choose to reveal only the information we feel comfortable with many, many years ago.....

My answer was:
http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/1626-confused_newcomer.html
Collapse

Phil Hand
Phil Hand  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 01:13
Chinese to English
Internet forces us to take people on their merits Sep 27, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

I'm proud of what I am and my achievements but not of who I am. My gender, colour and nationality, which is how most people will identify me in real life, are nothing but geographical and biological hazard.

One thing I really like about the Internet is precisely that you can interact with people without them knowing who you are.

Texte said exactly what I wanted to say here.

The use of screen names on this site doesn't bother me at all. In terms of professionalism, I just think of them as being like business names (as some of them are). Of course if I was going to enter into a business relationship with anyone here, I would need a bit more information: a name (either personal or company name), a phone number and maybe an address, a little bit of corroborating evidence. All that would be true whether I had their real name at the beginning or not.

While we're just interacting on the forums and Kudoz, I'm happy to judge everyone by their words only. I think that sincerity is pretty easy to detect (most of the time). As I recall I've had interesting and enlightening exchanges with pretty much every participant in this thread. I would say that I "know" you all as much as I need to for forum purposes.

Michael Beijer
Michael Beijer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:13
Member (2009)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Thank you Sindy Sep 27, 2014

Sindy Cremer wrote:

Some people find it annoying. Some find it unprofessional. Yet others switch from finding it disrespectful to no big deal in two days' time.
Whatever sentiment the use of pseudonyms invokes, I think what we should not forget is that Proz.com is not Facebook. This is not a site where you try to gather as many friends and followers as possible to build up whatever social image you'd like to create for yourself. This is a site by and for professionals - or at least, that's what it's supposed to be. If your aim is to have 'fun' in communicating with people, well, that's simply not the purpose of Proz. That said, if your only aim was to have fun on the site, then why be annoyed by the fact that people use a pseudonym?

If potential clients don't want to consider working with people who use a pseudonym (which I know is not the case) then that's their business. Between peers I see absolutely no reason why someone should tell me what they are and who they are. It is simply none of my business. If I wish to work with someone or want to refer them because my own schedule is overloaded, then ALL that I'm interested in is whether or not they can do the job. Their name is of no importance.

Aside from the fact that I firmly believe that people should be allowed to defend themselves against stalkers in any way they feel is appropriate, I don't see any reason why 'people with no info on their profile and who are active in the Kudoz area' should 'merely tell us whether they are male or female'? (Let alone HOW that should be done: 'my suggestion is as follows and by the way, I am a man'???)
The purpose of Kudoz is clearly defined on its front page: "The KudoZ network provides a framework for translators and others to assist each other with translations or explanations of terms and short phrases."
Ergo: you ask a question, someone answers. I challenge anyone to disagree with me that the only thing that really matters in that context is whether that person is qualified to answer your question. Whether they have their entire Christian name and all their titles, bells and whistles spelled out as their user name or just a simple pseudonym, whether they are black or white, male or female is totally irrelevant.
What DOES matter is whether the profile behind the name or pseudonym tells the truth about native language, fields of expertise, etc., and we all know that that is more than often not the case. But that is not the subject of this thread.

I wasn't aware of just how wrong and inconsistent I was. Thanks for pointing it out and setting me straight.

Michael

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
:-) Sep 27, 2014

Phil Hand wrote:

Of course if I was going to enter into a business relationship with anyone here, I would need a bit more information: a name (either personal or company name), a phone number and maybe an address, a little bit of corroborating evidence. All that would be true whether I had their real name at the beginning or not.

While we're just interacting on the forums and Kudoz, I'm happy to judge everyone by their words only. I think that sincerity is pretty easy to detect (most of the time). As I recall I've had interesting and enlightening exchanges with pretty much every participant in this thread. I would say that I "know" you all as much as I need to for forum purposes.

Right on Phil. Yes if you needed to outsource a FR-EN translation and wanted me to do it I'd even go as far as to give you my bank details let alone my name!

And yes I reckon I "know" most of the regulars here and enjoy discussing stuff with you all. And would definitely contact one of you if I thought you'd be the right person for a job I couldn't manage myself (not that it ever happens but there you go).

Kay Denney
France
French to English
can't think of a bally title Sep 27, 2014

Henry Hinds wrote:

Well, there you go, Texte, a non-gendered pronoun! But seriously, I don't consider gender, color, national origin, religion and other such factors to be relevant. I do value people's honesty and openness, especially when I myself risk (risk?) honesty and openness. I guess I don't have stalkers because people realize that the mug shot there is actually me, plus now I am well into my seventies. and I admit that I was younger when it was taken.

Yes, the Internet does offer people an opportunity to remain anonymous and masquerade, which is not so easy in real life. It also offers many opportunities for dishonesty, which are being exploited every day. Unfortunately the telephone (junk phone calls I get constantly from unidentified people) is also being much exploited. So my mistrust of those anonymous remains, but as long as no money is involved, it is not much of a concern to me.

Mind you, I have never said (and strongly resent the implication that I have ever said) that it was terrible about Oso being a woman when others thought she was a man. All I said was 1).- Oso was not the person he/she represented him/herself to be, and 2).- It is a shame that the person involved chose to be a fraud when she probably could have made it on her own merits. I think many of us truly loved the persona she created, and I'm sure we could have loved her real self as well had she been honest.

Why don't you check out the post and see?

The good thing is that I have been able to stimulate a lively discussion and the fact that we don't all agree certainly makes it interesting.

OK thank you for clearing up the misunderstanding what you said about Oso but I focussed on this particular sentence,

""Oso" was eventually unmasked as a fraud and turned out to be a woman, not a man, and left Proz in disgrace."

So I see that pretending to be a man was not what made her leave in disgrace, which was what I understood from that sentence, although I now see that you had mentioned a little of her dastardly ways just above that sentence. Please accept my apologies!

Of course there's plenty of opportunity for dishonesty on the Internet, as in real life. Nobody likes being deluded. There is at least one person who participates in these fora who I am convinced cannot be a translator, but I generally just try to ignore that person's input (don't always succeed but hey, I'm only human). So we all need to be careful, as we are in real life.

And I agree about having a stimulating, lively discussion

Kay Denney
France
French to English
changing your mind Sep 27, 2014

Sindy Cremer wrote:

Some people find it annoying. Some find it unprofessional. Yet others switch from finding it disrespectful to no big deal in two days' time.

Some people are capable of listening to others and acknowledging that they perhaps hadn't seen things from the others' standpoint before saying what they think.
I personally appreciate people who can hear other points of view and factor new information in. It's a sign of being open-minded, generous and empathetic, these are the sort of people I wouldn't mind buying a pint for down at the local. Cheers Michael and Henry!

Sindy Cremer wrote:

If your aim is to have 'fun' in communicating with people, well, that's simply not the purpose of Proz. That said, if your only aim was to have fun on the site, then why be annoyed by the fact that people use a pseudonym?

Does it say anywhere in the regulations that we're not allowed to come here just for fun?
it's precisely those who only want fun and don't look for work here who have pseudonyms (even if mine is actually a sort of advert for the type of work I do, and Tom in London chose his pseudo to advertise one of his "USPs")

Sindy Cremer wrote:

truth about native language, fields of expertise, etc., and we all know that that is more than often not the case. But that is not the subject of this thread.

oops I got rid of the beginning of that sentence, but here you've put your finger right on the one point that is important for those looking for work here, and even those who simply want to be taken seriously in these fora and in Kudoz

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why? Sep 27, 2014

Andy Watkinson wrote:

Why? ID cars can be easily scanned. As a matter of fact, we could scan 2 ID cards in order to decrease the ptrobabilities of counterfeit them. Then we would send them via e-mail to Proz.

Jessica Noyes
Jessica Noyes  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
two minor points not yet made Sep 27, 2014

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, I'm sure, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that there may be some users who simply don't want the world at large to know that they work as independent translators. It could be they don't want people to know that they need to seek additional income. Maybe they are Ph.D. language candidates who are not allowed by the terms of their meager fellowships to take on any other tasks. Maybe they want to operate simultaneously in a low-rate niche (anonymously) ... See more
Someone will correct me if I am wrong, I'm sure, but I don't think anyone has mentioned that there may be some users who simply don't want the world at large to know that they work as independent translators. It could be they don't want people to know that they need to seek additional income. Maybe they are Ph.D. language candidates who are not allowed by the terms of their meager fellowships to take on any other tasks. Maybe they want to operate simultaneously in a low-rate niche (anonymously) and the high rate niche, by name, with higher-status organizations and projects.
I also would like to say that more than once I have reached out to an anonymous ProZ.com colleague to send him (or her) an item of interest, or to ask a question about this or that, and they have always, so far, responded over their own name. One did make a point of asking me not to reveal his true name to anyone, though. The idea, then, is that they are anonymous to the general public, but as soon as they have a genuine business or collegial relationship with someone, they reveal their identity.
So the current policy makes sense to me.
Collapse

Lincoln Hui
Lincoln Hui  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 01:13
Chinese to English
+ ...
Disconnected from reality Sep 27, 2014

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Andy Watkinson wrote:

Why? ID cars can be easily scanned. As a matter of fact, we could scan 2 ID cards in order to decrease the ptrobabilities of counterfeit them. Then we would send them via e-mail to Proz.

I do not recall having to submit proof of identity when I registered for the ATA, or indeed for professional organizations in other fields.

There is a difference between a regulatory body and a professional organization.

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
changing your mind and fun Sep 28, 2014

Texte Style wrote:

Some people are capable of listening to others and acknowledging that they perhaps hadn't seen things from the others' standpoint before saying what they think.
I personally appreciate people who can hear other points of view and factor new information in. It's a sign of being open-minded, generous and empathetic, these are the sort of people I wouldn't mind buying a pint for down at the local. Cheers Michael and Henry!

I personally appreciate people who are consistent in their opinions rather than swim with the tide.

Texte Style wrote:

Does it say anywhere in the regulations that we're not allowed to come here just for fun?

No, I didn't say you're not allowed to (and you're pulling the sentence out of context). I said that it's not the purpose of Proz and I stand by that - read their mission statement here: http://www.proz.com/about/

Texte Style wrote:

it's precisely those who only want fun and don't look for work here who have pseudonyms

I wouldn't be too sure about that. I bet that there are plenty of people with pseudonyms who use Proz ONLY for business purposes, not for fun.

Texte Style wrote:
oops I got rid of the beginning of that sentence, but here you've put your finger right on the one point that is important for those looking for work here, and even those who simply want to be taken seriously in these fora and in Kudoz

It’s probably me but I fail to understand how this has anything to do with the present discussion.
Henry suggests that we get rid of pseudonyms and that people with pseudonyms should not be allowed a profile. I am in the camp that doesn’t give a hoot about whether people use a pseudonym or their real name; I do care about truth in profiles, but as I said, that is not the subject of this discussion, is it?

Edited i=>y

[Edited at 2014-09-28 13:37 GMT]

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Yaotl Sep 28, 2014

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Andy Watkinson wrote:

Impracticable: not everyone has ID cards - they simply don't exist in the UK, for example.

Undesirable: such a measure would drive away many of the site's best contributors.

Misguided: many moons ago I joined a translators' site; not the army.

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 13:13
Spanish to English
+ ...
Too late to change Sep 28, 2014

When I first registered here at ProZ, I was an Internet newbie. I was also a ProZ.com newbie. In the interests of caution--"I don't really know what I'm getting into here"--I chose to use a pseudonym.

Several years later, I decided that I would prefer to show my real name. However, I was concerned that my acquaintances here might not recognize "Jane Ramírez" as being the same "JaneTranslates" with whom they were already familiar--for better or worse.

I asked the staff
... See more
When I first registered here at ProZ, I was an Internet newbie. I was also a ProZ.com newbie. In the interests of caution--"I don't really know what I'm getting into here"--I chose to use a pseudonym.

Several years later, I decided that I would prefer to show my real name. However, I was concerned that my acquaintances here might not recognize "Jane Ramírez" as being the same "JaneTranslates" with whom they were already familiar--for better or worse.

I asked the staff if I could be known as "Jane Ramírez (JaneTranslates)" for a transitional period, then change to just "Jane Ramírez." I don't remember all the details, but this request was denied--at least, I was told I couldn't do it without going through a lot of hoops involving identity verification. Having already had my identity verified, I decided not to bother with the process.

So, I'm still JaneTranslates. I like my nickname, but whenever topics like this one come up, I feel a little embarrassed. Is my name considered "silly" by colleagues (such as Henry Hinds) whom I have come to respect? Do people think I'm hiding something? Do people think less of me because I don't use my real name?

Of course, you can go to my profile and quickly find out both my "real" name (the one I use when I introduce myself, the one my friends call me, the one under which I do business) and my REAL real legal name (the one that's on my driver's license). Now I'm beginning to wonder whether I ought to remove the latter, to prevent identity theft.

So there it is: My nickname remains because I didn't have the foresight 10 years or so ago to realize that Henry was going to think me unprofessional for not using my real name. My nickname remains because I like having that little black checkmark by it and don't want to go through any more hassle. My nickname remains because many of you know JaneTranslates but wouldn't know Jane Ramírez.

OT: Henry, could you post a link to your "other" post about Oso? I remember Oso well, and that cute animated avatar. I have looked for the forum you mentioned but could not find it. I would like very much to read it.

Jane

[Edited at 2014-09-28 19:45 GMT]
Collapse

Yaotl Altan
Mexico
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Well... Sep 28, 2014

Lincoln Hui wrote:

Yaotl Altan wrote:

Andy Watkinson wrote:

I do not recall having to submit proof of identity when I registered for the ATA, or indeed for professional organizations in other fields.

There is a difference between a regulatory body and a professional organization.

If we have nothing to hide, then I don't see any problems on it.

Privacy issues? Come on, even hackers have accessed the Whit House...

[Modifié le 2014-09-28 18:48 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

No Identity, No Profile

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »