Thread poster: Nitza Ramos
Nitza Ramos
Nitza Ramos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
May 15, 2002

This is the first time I do a posting on this site, so I hope I am on the right Forum, if not I apologize.

To me it is very gratifying to help others and that\'s part of the reason I joined Proz.com. But sometimes I feel it could be so easy and yet some people make it very difficult.

When you post a question or ask for help with the translation of a word or phrase, you should make sure to include enough context in order for the rest of us to be able to h
... See more
This is the first time I do a posting on this site, so I hope I am on the right Forum, if not I apologize.

To me it is very gratifying to help others and that\'s part of the reason I joined Proz.com. But sometimes I feel it could be so easy and yet some people make it very difficult.

When you post a question or ask for help with the translation of a word or phrase, you should make sure to include enough context in order for the rest of us to be able to help in an expedite and efficient manner. I know there is the option of requesting more context, but in my opinion, this is a waste of time. It is frustrating trying to figure out how to translate a certain word, phrase or sentence, without having enough information as to how it will be used.

I have seen often that in an effort to help, people try to guess as to which would be the best answer. In my opinion this is wrong, even though I must admit I have done it several times.

I know I have the choice of letting it go and not doing anything about it, but unfortunately I am not like that.

So please, all I am asking is for anyone requeting help with a translation, whenever possible, post your question with enough context in order for the rest of us to be able help in a professional way.

Thank you and have a great day!

Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 14:03
English to German
+ ...
Providing context should be obvious May 15, 2002

Hi Nitza,

You are, of course, right: providing context should be an obvious thing to do when asking for terminology. Actually, the KudoZ entry form clearly tells you to do so, and yet - some askers simply ignore this, or just repeat their question so as to avoid getting an error message.

What can you do? Well, there is a function provided in each question where you can request the asker to provide more info (which can be a bit of a waste of time - agreed... but mos
... See more
Hi Nitza,

You are, of course, right: providing context should be an obvious thing to do when asking for terminology. Actually, the KudoZ entry form clearly tells you to do so, and yet - some askers simply ignore this, or just repeat their question so as to avoid getting an error message.

What can you do? Well, there is a function provided in each question where you can request the asker to provide more info (which can be a bit of a waste of time - agreed... but most people will recognise the value if being asked politely). If you see a repeat \"offender\", you could also ask the moderator for that pair to give that asker a gentle push in the right direction (a link to the moderator is provided with every question).

In my experience, there is no perfect solution, but these ways have worked reasonably well so far.

Best regards, Ralf

(Co-mod DE>EN)
Collapse

Nitza Ramos
Nitza Ramos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:03
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Live and Learn May 16, 2002

Dear Ralf,

Thank you so much for your reply. I had not noticed the \"link to the moderator\" feature!

Unfortunately I have to agree with you in that there is no perfect solution to every problem.... but I still have to try. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Nitza

Quote:

On 2002-05-15 22:43, Lemster wrote:

Hi Nitza,

You are, of course,... See more
Dear Ralf,

Thank you so much for your reply. I had not noticed the \"link to the moderator\" feature!

Unfortunately I have to agree with you in that there is no perfect solution to every problem.... but I still have to try. Thanks again.

Best regards,

Nitza

Quote:

On 2002-05-15 22:43, Lemster wrote:

Hi Nitza,

What can you do? Well, there is a function provided in each question where you can request the asker to provide more info (which can be a bit of a waste of time - agreed... but most people will recognise the value if being asked politely). If you see a repeat \"offender\", you could also ask the moderator for that pair to give that asker a gentle push in the right direction (a link to the moderator is provided with every question).

In my experience, there is no perfect solution, but these ways have worked reasonably well so far.

Best regards, Ralf

(Co-mod DE>EN)

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Helping others

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »