Site translation - there should be a way to correct bad work
Thread poster: Steph Ryser
Steph Ryser
Steph Ryser
Local time: 05:57
English to French
Sep 22, 2001

I am a new member, and it\'s a shame to read some of the translations done for \"site translations\".

There is no possibility to correct these translations, especially when two NON NATVE SPEAKERS suggest two wrong translations OR with a lot of spelling mistakes!

It would be better if there was a way to correct these translations..

yacine
yacine  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
Arabic to French
+ ...
common feeling Oct 12, 2001

I have the same felling with Arabic and my Italian colleagues said they were also unhappy of the italian version of the site

The three versions should be changed

As far the Arabic version is concerned, I can read and understand only what I translated my self.

The other things are not understandable.

There should e a way of improving the imperfections.

Yacine

Julia Gal
Julia Gal  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:57
French to English
+ ...
what about imposing a KudoZ minimum to site translators Oct 16, 2001

I agree with both the above postings. I have noticed on several occasions that both the translation and correction of site elements have been done by non-native speakers of the language in question and neither version suggested is correct!

We have already seen that some people take KudoZ points far too seriously, but now BROWNIZ POINTS????! I really can\'t see any reason for it!

The only justifiable reason for helping with the site translation is just th
... See more
I agree with both the above postings. I have noticed on several occasions that both the translation and correction of site elements have been done by non-native speakers of the language in question and neither version suggested is correct!

We have already seen that some people take KudoZ points far too seriously, but now BROWNIZ POINTS????! I really can\'t see any reason for it!

The only justifiable reason for helping with the site translation is just that - to help!

If people are providing incorrect information, that can not really be considered to be helping, as it will only reflect badly on the site in future - imagine people visiting the site for the first time noticing that a site for professional translators is, itself, badly translated!!!

Not very professional, now, is it?

People can add the language combinations the wish into their profile and there is no real way of proving what a person\'s native language really is.

My suggestion to stop this in future would be to impose a minimum KudoZ score *into the language concerned* to members wishing to contribute to the site in this way.

I would be interested to hear other people\'s views...

Collapse

Anil Goyal
Anil Goyal  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 10:27
English to Hindi
+ ...
Problem with script too in Hindi. Oct 17, 2001

The script for Hindi is Devnagari. However almost the whole site is translated and presented in English (Roman) script. This makes reading the site very very difficult. In my opinion, for Hindi, the site should be in Devnagari script only. I can volunteer myself for this task.

Steph Ryser
Steph Ryser
Local time: 05:57
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
suggestion Oct 17, 2001

It will be better if, in the site translation, the translator who has to choose between two suggestions of translation, could choose none of the two translations. In this case a third option will be available. (\"none of these\", \"reject both\")

Then all the translations which are rejected will appear in a new topic and none of the two translators who have translated this term in the first place, will be able to answer.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Site translation - there should be a way to correct bad work

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »