https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/2967-do_you_want_to_save_the_land.html

Do you want to save the land?
Thread poster: Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
Bertha S. Deffenbaugh  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:26
English to Spanish
+ ...
May 24, 2002

This is a note for those interested in preserving the planet.

Would you \"click to give\"? I do hope lots of you will.

About EcologyFund

EcologyFund is owned and operated by Click2Aid.com and CharityUSA.comLLC as a way to get new funds for critical habitat and wilderness preservation using the power of the internet. When you \"click to give\" our sponsors pay the project you selected t
... See more
This is a note for those interested in preserving the planet.

Would you \"click to give\"? I do hope lots of you will.

About EcologyFund

EcologyFund is owned and operated by Click2Aid.com and CharityUSA.comLLC as a way to get new funds for critical habitat and wilderness preservation using the power of the internet. When you \"click to give\" our sponsors pay the project you selected to preserve the number of square feet shown by each project. You pay nothing. To maximize the contribution, click on each project every day. If you register, CharityUSA will donate 500 square feet of wilderness in your name, and will keep a running tally for you of all the land you have preserved. Other sites owned by CharityUSA and operated by Click2Aid.com are The Hunger Site, The Breast Cancer Site, The Rainforest Site, and GreaterGood.com.

All monies from sponsorships generated on EcologyFund go to purchase and protect wild lands. Sponsors are interested in supporting wilderness preservation for the same reasons we are: 1) its good for the environment, 2) our advertising budgets can do double duty and accomplish something important, and 3) the best form of public relations is good work. If you click and visit a sponsor\'s site it will usually double their contribution. Clicks to site advertisers in our Special Donations section will save additional land or plant trees. Certain actions (ordering free catalogs or registering for free) will save even more land or plant additional trees through our Rainforest Rewards section. Shopping through Shop For Acres will save an average of 50 square feet per dollar spent. The average amount of land protected through each action of the site is always specified. A breakdown of the amount contributed is listed in our totals section.

Founders

Tim Kunin is a life long lover of wilderness, who has canoed and hiked for thousands of miles in the United States, Canada, and Patagonia. He started working for environmental causes at the University of Michigan, where he met his business partners Dave DeVarti (SGI Publications) and Greg Hesterberg (SGI and CharityMall.com) while working on the Michigan Bottle Bill ballot campaign of 1976. As part of that effort, Tim walked 200 miles across the state, to publicize the need for recycling. Tim developed EcologyFund as a new way for Internet users to contribute to wilderness preservation.

\"Preserving the wild parts of the planet is an important legacy we can leave our children. EcologyFund allows each person to save a little wilderness everyday. These donations add up, so that each person can save more than an acre a year. With thousands of people clicking every day, we will be able to save tens of thousands of acres of critical wilderness habitat every year.\"

Greg Hesterberg was chairman of two statewide consumer and environmental organizations (MaryPIRG and PIRGIM), while in college. He met his future business partners while coordinating work on the successful Michigan Bottle Bill. After 20 years running a successful local publishing firm, SGI Publications, he developed CharityMall.com as a way to use the Internet to benefit charities.

Site Credits

Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
For those interested, here's a link :) May 24, 2002

\"Save

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:26
English to Dutch
+ ...
Interesting indeed Jun 4, 2002

yet, I often have a problem with such organisations, and especially with its management.

I learned a couple of weeks ago that the guy in charge of Foster Parents Plan (in -I believe- The Netherlands) pays himself a hefty 18.000 euro a month salary for spending 2 to three days on the job a week.

Give or take a few euro.

Now, I don\'t mind fostering children, the world, animals and what have you, but I\'m not willing to sponsor the Jaguars and pl
... See more
yet, I often have a problem with such organisations, and especially with its management.

I learned a couple of weeks ago that the guy in charge of Foster Parents Plan (in -I believe- The Netherlands) pays himself a hefty 18.000 euro a month salary for spending 2 to three days on the job a week.

Give or take a few euro.

Now, I don\'t mind fostering children, the world, animals and what have you, but I\'m not willing to sponsor the Jaguars and plush offices of some of these bozo\'s.

It\'s guys (and their behaviour) like the one I mentioned above that chase people away from what must surely be an excellent initiative (Ecology Funding).

[addsig]
Collapse

Bertha S. Deffenbaugh
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Evert, visit the site and see for yourself how it works... Jun 4, 2002

Ever time you click, a certain amount of square feet are *automatically* beeing bought with money from the sponsors.

The sponsors in the are huge and big companies such as Amazon, for example. I do think it is worth while giving a hand to this site. Besides the planet and wild animals deserve our support.

luskie
luskie
English to Italian
+ ...
is it for real? Jun 6, 2002

Dear Bertha,

I\'ve followed the link you\'ve kindly provided, and I\'ve enthusiastically clicked on the buttons. But then I seemed to grasp that the world would be really and definitely safe if such an apparently genial mechanism actually worked! It seems to me too much simple as it is, and I seriously wonder if it is for real...

Anyway, thank you for the link! I do think that the gratest thing we can do to help the earth is just to \"post\" these topics all around! ... See more
Dear Bertha,

I\'ve followed the link you\'ve kindly provided, and I\'ve enthusiastically clicked on the buttons. But then I seemed to grasp that the world would be really and definitely safe if such an apparently genial mechanism actually worked! It seems to me too much simple as it is, and I seriously wonder if it is for real...

Anyway, thank you for the link! I do think that the gratest thing we can do to help the earth is just to \"post\" these topics all around!

Saludos,

Luskie
Collapse

TService (X)
TService (X)  Identity Verified
English to German
No more... Jun 28, 2002

Some offer me to gain some millions by helping to transfer money out of nigeria (haha), some promise a better world by clicking on sponsor links (haha).

Both do not work and have to be treated as a hoax, as a kind of more or less clever way to generate clicks - and income.

Dear Bertha,

your message is a kind of sales promotion. It has nothing to do with the intentions of this site - it has precisely nothing to do with this particular
... See more
Some offer me to gain some millions by helping to transfer money out of nigeria (haha), some promise a better world by clicking on sponsor links (haha).

Both do not work and have to be treated as a hoax, as a kind of more or less clever way to generate clicks - and income.

Dear Bertha,

your message is a kind of sales promotion. It has nothing to do with the intentions of this site - it has precisely nothing to do with this particular forum thread.

I really dislike this try to seduce the people at proz to help other people earn money.

Enough said: See title.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you want to save the land?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »