Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What about letting us "choose" our profile URL? Instead of a number?
Thread poster: Joëlle Bouille
Dani Karuniawan
Dani Karuniawan  Identity Verified
Indonesia
Local time: 02:06
English to Indonesian
+ ...
that is standard Jan 12, 2016

Joëlle Bouille wrote:

Hi everyone,

Wouldn't it be nicer, communication-wise, if Proz profiles URLs actually looked something like www.proz.com/john-doe, rather than something like www.proz.com/profile/458963, which is totally impersonal and doesn't look quite professional on a visit card or anywhere else you may insert it?

I was blogging using self-hosted wordpress. With a little learning, I could easily set up permalink... a human-friendly url. After this experience, I know, Proz has ability to do it, it just doesn't want do it.

Why? I think, we know it for a long time its reason. We just never openly talk it, assuming that it is a public secret.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:06
Member (2008)
Italian to English
The reason why Jan 12, 2016

Dani Karuniawan wrote:

I know Proz has ability to do it, it just doesn't want do it.

Why? I think, we know it for a long time its reason. We just never openly talk it, assuming that it is a public secret.

I don't see that there is any problem in talking openly about how overdue a complete revamp of the Proz website is. And I hardly think it would be a secret, to anyone who has even attempted to create their own little personal, relatively simple website, that this would be/will be an enormous and very time-consuming enterprise. Nevertheless time marches on, and it will have to happen sooner or later. I'm sure it's on the to-do list.

[Edited at 2016-01-12 16:07 GMT]

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
The "to do" list Jan 13, 2016

It may be on the "to do" list, but that doesn't mean it will be done in the finite future. The following was on the "to do" list in 2009 and a reply from Proz on that page said it would be done in a few days; it has still not been done, five years la... See more
It may be on the "to do" list, but that doesn't mean it will be done in the finite future. The following was on the "to do" list in 2009 and a reply from Proz on that page said it would be done in a few days; it has still not been done, five years later:

http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/140276-number_of_topics_shown_on_the_latest_posts_list-page2.html

(Look for "Improvements" on that page.)
Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Yes Jan 13, 2016

Oliver Walter wrote:

It may be on the "to do" list, but that doesn't mean it will be done in the finite future. The following was on the "to do" list in 2009 and a reply from Proz on that page said it would be done in a few days; it has still not been done, five years later:

http://www.proz.com/forum/site_forums/140276-number_of_topics_shown_on_the_latest_posts_list-page2.html

(Look for "Improvements" on that page.)

Oh, I see.

Perhaps it hasn't sunk in yet that the well-known proverb "procrastination is the thief of time" isn't just a saying.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What about letting us "choose" our profile URL? Instead of a number?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »