Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 01:59
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Appears open on homepage between "Forums" and "Jobs" Aug 13, 2016

Found this morning that the dreaded "What we are working on now" still appears not only in the form mentioned by Mirko Mainadi, but as an open forum between "Forums" and "Jobs". So it is apparently ranked higher than a forum, at the same level as the Forums and Jobs groups, which you can opt out of, but there's no provision for opting out of this. Once again I have managed to get rid of it using Adguard, but as someone else said, we shouldn't have to be using ad blockers for this!

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Is it wise? Aug 13, 2016

Considering that many of us, if not most, sign non-disclosure agreements about our work, is it actually wise to record "what I'm working on now" in our profiles - or in any other publicly visible place?

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
The urge to brag/grandstand takes precedence, apparently Aug 13, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Considering that many of us, if not most, sign non-disclosure agreements about our work, is it actually wise to record "what I'm working on now" in our profiles - or in any other publicly visible place?

I still can't decide if the new brag blog is amusing or disgusting. In any case, given the numbers of people rushing to post their latest triumphs (true or false), it shows that Proz has hit upon something a lot of people find irresistible.
Perhaps lessons in drum beating or horn blowing will enhance peoples' chances of success in the translation market?

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 03:59
Russian to English
Please get rid of these banners Aug 13, 2016

Jared Tabor wrote:

The banners are used to inform those who use ProZ.com about different things: new features, surveys, event announcements, free webinars, etc. Generally, no one banner is up for very long. But I can understand how a banner for a feature you have already decided isn't for you, for example, would be bothersome.

Jared

Your opinion about what I should see isn't actually relevant, just as my opinion about what you should see, were I odd enough to have one, would be irrelevant to you. Please delete all these banners that we, paying members, haven't requested, including what we are working on, community awards, annual gatherings, and other uninteresting ads, thank you.

[Edited at 2016-08-13 13:51 GMT]

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Easy to hide Aug 13, 2016

The banners may be a different story but the forum itself is gone now. At the bottom of the home page you can click on 'Change the order of home page items'. There you can choose how many items you want to see in each category and you can hide any items you don't want to see at all.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 18:59
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Good point Aug 13, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

Good point, Jenny. Sometimes just describing what you're working on could inadvertently reveal too much information.

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Three choices, IMO Aug 13, 2016

Jenny Forbes wrote:

1) Even if no specific NDA is in force, most of us would only ever talk in generalities. For example, I could tell you I'm editing texts for an educaton consultant, and translating publicity for an international sporting event. It:s true, but ... yawn! ... anyone atill awake?
2) Or you could do your chances of inspiring confidence in potential clients no good at all by revealing all.
3) Or you could take it off your home page.

Please, staff, let me choose option 3.

Jan Truper
Jan Truper  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 02:59
Member (2016)
English to German
I like the feature, but... Aug 14, 2016

To my surprise, I happen to like this feature. But I concur that it has no place at the top of the profile page.

A couple of days ago, it was listed on the profile page somewhere between “Experience” and “Credentials”, if I remember correctly. When I clicked on it, it expanded and showed my entries in a simple list form, without all the detail mumbo-jumbo.
That’s a good place, I think (and there should be an option not to display it at all).

Daryo
Daryo
United Kingdom
Serbian to English
+ ...
YEARS AGO Aug 14, 2016

there was a fade to show on your website a live cam streaming from your office // watching you make a coffee for yourself and walking to the printer and back was supposed to make your business more interesting???? Live streaming of paint drying would be as much spellbinding!!

Fastforward few years (or just a decade or two ...) to present time and lo and behold - a new and cool idea came up - telling to everyone and anyone who could be bothered to read it what are you currently tran
... See more
there was a fade to show on your website a live cam streaming from your office // watching you make a coffee for yourself and walking to the printer and back was supposed to make your business more interesting???? Live streaming of paint drying would be as much spellbinding!!

Fastforward few years (or just a decade or two ...) to present time and lo and behold - a new and cool idea came up - telling to everyone and anyone who could be bothered to read it what are you currently translating. Truly original idea.

And bound to inspire confidence to clients expecting confidentiality.
Collapse

Maija Cirule
Maija Cirule  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 03:59
German to English
+ ...
In my book Aug 14, 2016

writeaway wrote:

Jenny Forbes wrote:

I still can't decide if the new brag blog is amusing or disgusting. In any case, given the numbers of people rushing to post their latest triumphs (true or false), it shows that Proz has hit upon something a lot of people find irresistible.
Perhaps lessons in drum beating or horn blowing will enhance peoples' chances of success in the translation market?

the ratio is as follows: disgusting/amusing=80/20. Given that there is no way to prove the authenticity of the statements, it can be classified as smoke and mirrors or an endeavour to cheat gullible clients, or a fool's errand. Of course, that's just my two cents and I have no intention to hurt anybody's feelings or smash anybody's rose-coloured glasses

[Edited at 2016-08-14 12:01 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-08-14 12:14 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-08-14 12:20 GMT]

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
one of the best descriptions I have seen... Aug 14, 2016

"same as yesterday"...

sindy cremer
sindy cremer
Member (2008)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Proz keeps adding unwanted stuff Aug 14, 2016

Why does Proz keep adding things to our profile pages without consulting their paying members?

I do not want the silly 'what is Sindy working on right now' banner on my page.
I don't even want to have to make it invisible.

The link to "More translators and interpreters: [fill in language pairs] More language pairs" at the bottom of our profile page is still there, too. I didn't ask for that either and I still feel that it should be removed.

Jason Grimes
Jason Grimes
Local time: 20:59
SITE STAFF
Added option to hide the box at the top of your profile Aug 16, 2016

A new "hide from me" option has been added to the box at the top of the profile page, so you don't have to see it in your own profile if you don't want to. Thanks for the comments.

Best regards,

Jason

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
This is the same concern I raised in another thread on this topic Aug 17, 2016

Maija Cirule wrote:

Given that there is no way to prove the authenticity of the statements, it can be classified as smoke and mirrors or an endeavour to cheat gullible clients...

But unfortunately it doesn't seem to be a concern for the ProZ staff members.

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Thanks Jason! Aug 17, 2016

Jason Grimes wrote:

A new "hide from me" option has been added to the box at the top of the profile page, so you don't have to see it in your own profile if you don't want to. Thanks for the comments.

Best regards,

Jason

Is there any chance of us getting the option to hide the link to "more language pairs" at the bottom of our profile page? It's only visible to people who aren't logged in but in my pairs at least, it's a highly misleading link. I (still) feel that should be removed or we should be given the option to hide it.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What proz.com translators are working on moved to top

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »