Thread poster: Preston Decker
Andrea Halbritter
Andrea Halbritter  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 05:54
French to German
+ ...
A spider Oct 19, 2016

I don't like it neither. I always have the impression there is a real spider on my screen.

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:54
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Very useful Oct 19, 2016

José Henrique Lamensdorf wrote:

(one of the most useful posts I've ever seen on Proz - thanks!

- and I see you can still post in these forums even though you've downgraded to the "vanilla" package.

I agree with everything you say about membership but I have a question.

Because of my profile and (I presume) my Kudoz rating, I receive frequent enquiries from new clients who have specifically chosen me.

Would that still happen if I downgraded to the basic membership deal?

Mirko Mainardi
Mirko Mainardi  Identity Verified
Italy
English to Italian
Indeed Oct 19, 2016

Tom in London wrote:

(one of the most useful posts I've ever seen on Proz - thanks!

- and I see you can still post in these forums even though you've downgraded to the "vanilla" package.

I agree with everything you say about membership but I have a question.

Because of my profile and (I presume) my Kudoz rating, I receive frequent enquiries from new clients who have specifically chosen me.

Would that still happen if I downgraded to the basic membership deal?

I noticed José's post only because you quoted it (so thanks Tom). Guess it went through vetting/moderation?

At any rate, you and I already are at the "basic" membership tier (under the impending system), so in our case "downgrading" would mean switching to a free account, which in its turn would also mean we would appear after all of the paying members in the directory ranking.

The general look and feel of the site hasn't changed much.

Actually, it seems to me it is changing quite a bit, especially after the acquisition of TM-Town. The new membership renewal page, the "What I am working on" feature, the TMT feature itself in our profiles, the new 2 tier membership (with everything it involves) and this contest thing are a very "good" example of that...

But you definitely made some good points.

Jennifer Forbes
Jennifer Forbes  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Oops Oct 19, 2016

I see that the little car is now pitching and bouncing about in a most alarming manner. Poor Herbie! Perhaps he's having a bumpy ride ...

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Additional gears Oct 20, 2016

At least now it's moving in more than one direction. At the beginning it only had reverse gear, which isn't much use on the open road. Neither is that huge exhaust pipe, incidentally. Must take forever to get parked.

[Edited at 2016-10-20 08:21 GMT]

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Metaph Oct 20, 2016

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

At least now it's moving in more than one direction. At the beginning it only had reverse gear, which isn't much use on the open road. Neither is that huge exhaust pipe, incidentally. Must take forever to get parked.

[Edited at 2016-10-20 08:21 GMT]

I wonder if it's a metaphor for something ?

Merab Dekano
Merab Dekano  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
More specifically Oct 20, 2016

Morano El-Kholy wrote:

Every time it goes backwards I'm convinced there's a large bug crawling on my monitor.

Yes, I share the same feeling! Despite that I have seen this BUG "Little car" several times now but I am always disturbed. The first two seconds I think that it is a fly or an ant or any other bug

a cockroach.

Mervyn Henderson (X)
Mervyn Henderson (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Could be ... Oct 20, 2016

... a metaphor, Tom, I suppose. In either case it takes a while to get it parked when you've had a few.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
French to English
what bugs me most Oct 20, 2016

(pardon the pun )
is that the "back to the list of topics" button at the bottom of the page in these forums has gone. I don't remember what it was called exactly but you get my drift I'm sure.
Having to go back up to member activities to click on "forums" is clunky and as a result I don't spend nearly as much time here any more.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 00:54
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
what bugs me most Oct 20, 2016

... is that though I've already blocked that car thing with AdBlock Plus, now some code on all Proz pages now takes up the entire processing capacity of one of my 2.8 GHz cores (of course, the one assigned to the browser I'm using for Proz) permanently, so writing on forums becomes very sluggish... for nothing!

No, it's not the connection, 60 MBPS actual, through a 300 MBPS router, and Process Explorer says there is NO traffic, no disk access, just some heavy processing at the brows
... See more
... is that though I've already blocked that car thing with AdBlock Plus, now some code on all Proz pages now takes up the entire processing capacity of one of my 2.8 GHz cores (of course, the one assigned to the browser I'm using for Proz) permanently, so writing on forums becomes very sluggish... for nothing!

No, it's not the connection, 60 MBPS actual, through a 300 MBPS router, and Process Explorer says there is NO traffic, no disk access, just some heavy processing at the browser.

As soon as I move out from Proz, everything goes back to normal.

Though I've removed the car, the parking brake remains on!
Collapse

Ksenia Sergeeva
Ksenia Sergeeva  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:54
English to Russian
+ ...
No idea why nobody mentioned it yet, but... Oct 20, 2016

why on Earth does it have a tail?

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Hooray! Car gone Oct 20, 2016

Hooray ! Now I've learned how to use Adblock Plus to block one specific element. Thanks for the tip, José.

Car gone.

[Edited at 2016-10-20 13:45 GMT]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 23:54
SITE FOUNDER
You don't have to pick up the car in the US. Oct 24, 2016

If you win, you go to your local dealership. The value is up to $25,000.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:54
German to English
+ ...
the tail Oct 24, 2016

Ksenia Sergeeva wrote:

why on Earth does it have a tail?

Because it's a car-shaped mouse. They forgot to give it whiskers, though. Maybe that's why it moves so erratically.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The little car now at the top of the Proz.com page

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »