Mobile menu

KudoZ abuse: filtering questions [edited after comments]
Thread poster: mstkwasa
mstkwasa
Local time: 20:58
English to Japanese
+ ...
Apr 4, 2005

This is a reflection on the fora http://www.proz.com/topic/30873 and http://www.proz.com/topic/26978 where there have been some heated debates. There are roughly two visions for KudoZ: open-to-all or a closed guild, inclusiveness or exclusiveness, total anarchy or proper professionalism.

The first point of view argues that KudoZ benefits from being an open resource where many questions are asked and the glossaries are a wonderful quarry of information. To go more exclusive will mean fewer questions asked and legitimate translators may hesitate to ask questions.

The second point's main thesis is that KudoZ is a place of helping other professionals and definitely not for those who want to send a text message saying "I love you" in a fit of drunkenness or wish to send an e-mail on a friend's birthday or for some sloppy translator who cannot be bothered to look up the glossaries, dictionaries or use a search engine.

I understand both aims, so is there a via media? The main problem, as I see it, is determining whose questions to answer and whose not to. I would like to suggest [if no one already has] the following two options, if feasible.

(1) For KudoZ notification e-mails and the KudoZ page, it shall be possible to determine whose questions one would be informed of or would be displayed on the web page. Askers can be filtered out by:

• Membership [Platinum/VID/registered/any]
  • Native language [native language – source; native language – target; native language – either source or target; any]
  • Asked/answered ratio (x:1) [x being 2/5/10/50]
  • Minimum KudoZ points [10/50/100]
  • Minimum experience [1/3/5/10 years]

So if I were to specify that I will only be informed of or viewing questions posed by registered users who are translating either from or into their native language and have asked only slightly more questions than answered, then I would hope that "Happy Birthday" type queries will be weeded out. Yet it would not prevent someone from posting "Happy Birthday" and someone willing to answer it.

(2) To be more exclusive, accept/view only questions from ProZians who are on your list (my list).

This way, it is hoped that KudoZ can combine its openness and professionalism depending on how one wishes to contribute to it. This may be a messy compromise but I would rather keep everyone in an equal measure of discontent than to alienate a large number of people.

It doesn't solve the pro/easy dilemma but I am sure someone will come up with an answer to that too.

That's my ha'penny worth on this issue. Any ideas?

[Edited at 2005-04-04 18:22]

Direct link Reply with quote

writeaway  Identity Verified

Local time: 21:58
Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Undesirable is not the right word Apr 4, 2005

From what I've read up to now, no one has even mentioned other colleagues as 'undesirable' and I really find you are starting out on the wrong foot when you use that word.
Discussions have been centred on people who 'abuse' the system by asking too many questions or questions that can be answered simply by opening a dictionary or researching a bit. And also on people who have taken on work they should have refused due to lack of language skills and/or knowledge about the subject and who then post the job on Proz for others to do for them.
That makes them annoying, it makes them time wasters, but not 'undesirable'. Wrong word imho.

[Edited at 2005-04-04 12:54]

mstkwasa
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Point taken Apr 4, 2005

writeaway wrote:

From what I've read up to now, no one has even mentioned other colleagues as 'undesirable' and I really find you are starting out on the wrong foot when you use that word.
Discussions have been centred on people who 'abuse' the system by asking too many questions or questions that can be answered simply by opening a dictionary or researching a bit. And also on people who have taken on work they should have refused due to lack of language skills and/or knowledge about the subject and who then post the job on Proz for others to do for them.
That makes them annoying, it makes them time wasters, but not 'undesirable'. Wrong word imho.

[Edited at 2005-04-04 12:54]

Yes, point taken, perhaps I should have been more careful: "KudoZ abusers" is a more fitting appellation.

mstkwasa
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
My personal belief: live and let live! Apr 4, 2005

I think writeaway is right re: thread title, even if I used the term polemically. No offence intended, but if taken, I do apologise for the carelessness of wording.

Where do I stand? It should have been made clear at the start since I could be seen as someone who is hell-bent on castigating people as "undesirable": while I sympathise with both lines of argument, as I am a libertarian in most things, I would not like to restrict access to the KudoZ forum. Even if this kind of filtering out does occur, I will not use it. I may bleat about some questions but my firmest belief is that the inclusiveness and openness should predominate in KudoZ (and otherwise I see little point in participating) but it should also give opportunity to those who wish to have a more restrictive/professional environment to work in.

Addenda in this colour
-----------
Or simply put, I am a member of the "you do not have to answer if you do not want to"-brigade.

[Edited at 2005-04-04 14:49]

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:58
You can always edit the title of the thread... Apr 4, 2005

mstkwasa wrote:

[Yes, point taken, perhaps I should have been more careful: "KudoZ abusers" is a more fitting appellation.

... This is the kind of mistake that, fortunately, we can fix!
"Kudoz abuse" might be even better!

mstkwasa
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the comment: thread title amended! Apr 4, 2005

Rosa Maria Duenas Rios wrote:

mstkwasa wrote:

[Yes, point taken, perhaps I should have been more careful: "KudoZ abusers" is a more fitting appellation.

... This is the kind of mistake that, fortunately, we can fix!
"Kudoz abuse" might be even better!

Thanks! Amended as suggested.
mstkwasa

Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 16:58
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
STOP Kudoz abuse Apr 7, 2005

Many questions are actually asking for long sentences translations. Kudoz rules establish that more than ten words should be posted on JOBS. Otherwise, we are doing free job and may be somebody is taking advantage of us.

I think responsability relies on all of us. When I see a wrong language pair, for example, I change it and tell the asker. When I see a very long sentence, I explain the asker and ask it to withdraw it. We should all do the same, I believe. And not to answer those questions or you will encourage them.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ abuse: filtering questions [edited after comments]

Advanced search

SDL Trados Studio 2017 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 250,000 translators.

SDL Trados Studio 2017 helps translators increase translation productivity whilst ensuring quality. Combining translation memory, terminology management and machine translation in one simple and easy-to-use environment.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use SDL Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs