Recognition of more Chinese credentials
Thread poster: Jianjun Zhang

Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Apr 7, 2005

I have been thinking about a question: On what basis/criteria does Proz base for its recognition of professional credentials for translation. I noticed very few Chinese translators professing they have a credential from China and still fewer say they have a Chinese credential but not verified by Proz. I myself have a professional credential for translation but since it is not on Proz list I can't get verified.

Indeed the Chinese credentials recognized by Proz are not at all available to 99% of Chinese freelance translators. They are more than an official document issued by some research institutions to their members than an exam/test-based proof of translating excellence (sorry if this offends some credential holders but if opinions are different please let us know). My point is, if Proz only recognizes these credentials that are out of the reach of most Chinese translators, it is unfair for many of us who participated in Chinese National translation examinations and got a certificate of translation excellence by reputable professional organizations in this country.

Will Proz please consider adding two of the most popular nation-wide professional translation exams/tests to the list of credentials?

Thanks from me and other Chinese translators.

[Edited at 2005-04-07 21:33]

Direct link Reply with quote

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:34
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Have you looked at the 'Other' option in 'Credentials'? Apr 8, 2005

Where it says:
"For authorities not listed, select 'Other' above (last option),
and enter name and location: ____ "

Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
But I can't get it verified Apr 8, 2005

Parrot wrote:

Where it says:
"For authorities not listed, select 'Other' above (last option),
and enter name and location: ____ "

Thanks Parrot, I know this and I entered mine a long time ago. But I can't get it verified as other people do with their recognized credentials, right?

Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 00:34
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It was possible for non-platinums Apr 8, 2005

Jianjun Zhang wrote:

Thanks Parrot, I know this and I entered mine a long time ago. But I can't get it verified as other people do with their recognized credentials, right?

to get credentials verified for a minimum fee, but the price isn't up anymore: http://www.proz.com/faq/credentials#credential_verified

Maybe Support Request would know. Why don't you ask them?

Platinums get the service free, but I remember your forex problem...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Recognition of more Chinese credentials

Advanced search

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »
Across v6.3
Translation Toolkit and Sales Potential under One Roof

Apart from features that enable you to translate more efficiently, the new Across Translator Edition v6.3 comprises your crossMarket membership. The new online network for Across users assists you in exploring new sales potential and generating revenue.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs