https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/32364-translating_important_prozcom_notices_into_all_major_languages.html

Translating important proz.com notices into all major languages
Thread poster: Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:13
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
May 15, 2005

Recently a case came up in which a test translation was posted on the kudoz forum without it being marked as a test question, although kudoz rules require this.

(Those interested to know more about this can pursue this hyperlink:
http://www.proz.com/topic/32356 )

Two issues come up here:
1) the person involved was downright dishonest.

2) he was not aware
... See more
Recently a case came up in which a test translation was posted on the kudoz forum without it being marked as a test question, although kudoz rules require this.

Two issues come up here:

2) he was not aware of the kudoz rules.

Nothing can be done if it is the first case, but if it was the second, then I have some suggestions to make and would value other's comments on them.

The membership level of this site I think exceeds 100,000 and it probably represents every major language in the world. But important site-related notices are only posted in English.

As an example, Henry had recently posted two important documents regarding the reclassification and editing of kudoz questions as pro and non-pro. As far as I know, these documents are only available in English.

Now there would be many members out there, for whom English is not a known language (I can think of language combinations like Marathi-Konkan, Korean-Chinese, Swahili-Arabic, and many more). Wouldn't it be a good idea if the crucial notices are made available in more languages, so that there is more awarness about the rules and decorums of the site?

Of course it would be logistically impossible to cover all languages, but may be a survey could be done and all languages which have more than, say 50 members, are taken into account.

[Edited at 2005-05-15 10:15]
Collapse

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:43
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
this is a good suggestion indeed May 15, 2005

Balasubramaniam wrote:
Recently a case came up in which a test translation was posted on the kudoz forum without it being marked as a test question, although kudoz rules requires this.

Two issues come up here:

2) he was not aware of the kudoz rules.

Nothing can be done if it is the first case, but if it was the second, then I have some suggestions to make and would value other's comments on them.

Dear Balasubramaniam:
Regarding issue 1:
If there is a clear violation of ProZ.com rules, something can be done about it. And don't hesitate to notify moderators whenever this happens.
Also, I think it's great that you are noticing things you don't like on the site and bringing them to moderators' and staff's attention, and yet I'd like to suggest, if you allow me, that in such cases we stick to facts. We are all entitled to our opinions, but calling somebody dishonest in a public forum and providing links to his KudoZ question showing his name, could be avoided. (The fact that he's not a ProZ member makes things worse because he can't reply to your post and defend himself. And he might feel offended or his feelings might get hurt.) Again, that's just a suggestion.
Now about point 2:

The membership level of this site I think exceeds 100,000 and it probably represents every major language in the world. But important site-related notices are only posted in English.
ow there would be many members out there, for whom English is not a known language (I can think of language combinations like Marathi-Konkan, Korean-Chinese, Swahili-Arabic, and many more).
[...]
Of course it would be logistically impossible to cover all languages, but may be a survey could be done and all languages which have more than, say 50 members, is taken into account.
[/quote]

I completely agree, this is indeed a great idea and I believe ProZ staff is aware of this need. And I'm sure that as ProZ grows and grows we'll see it available in more languages. I don't know how many members exist in the language pairs you mention, but my guess is that we'll start from the ones with the highest "traffic". Spanish and French come to mind. Unless the need is greater in other SCs. But these things take time and careful organization and coordination, as localizing a site -especially as complex and dynamic as this one- is a huge and quite complicated project.

Maria

[Edited at 2005-05-16 13:03]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:43
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
I brought up the same thing about Platinum membership info May 15, 2005

Balasubramaniam wrote:
Now there would be many members out there, for whom English is not a known language (I can think of language combinations like Marathi-Konkan, Korean-Chinese, Swahili-Arabic, and many more). Wouldn't it be a good idea if the crucial notices are made available in more languages, so that there is more awarness about the rules and decorums of the site?

I agree, in fact I posted a similar suggestion regarding the Platinum membership info - no reply so far from the site staff.
Here is the link:
http://www.proz.com/post/221099#221099

Katalin

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 14:43
English to French
+ ...
Agree wholeheartedly May 15, 2005

Actually, this has been suggested before, for those of you who understand French,see:

www.proz.com/topic/26942?start=0

[Edited at 2005-05-16 13:00]

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 03:13
English to Hindi
+ ...
Translating Proz rules in other languages? May 18, 2005

If there is any idea of such a sort in Proz Staff, I'd like to wish them BEST OF LUCK in Advance!

Means that I too sincerely hope for that much improvement in such a wonderful platform of translators!

KEEP IT UP!

PRAKASH SHARMA
FREELANCE TRANSLATOR OF NEPALI, HINDI, SANSKRIT AND ENGLISH TO FOUR OF THE SAME
[email protected]
+977 56 530738

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating important proz.com notices into all major languages

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »