Mobile menu

Why has translators name search been abolished? [Staff: It hasn't]
Thread poster: schmurr

schmurr  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:42
Italian to German
+ ...
Jul 2, 2005

Before, you just typed the name in the search window on the left, pressed "Enter" and the link to his/her member page appeared - now you are sent to http://www.proz.com/translator-directory which is really discouraging: first you have to select among hundreds of source languages, then among hundreds of target languages etc. etc.
Can't you bring the old simple name search back?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-07-02 12:50]

Direct link Reply with quote

Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
Dutch to English
+ ...
Jul 2, 2005

[Edited at 2005-08-05 23:43]

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Search by name? Jul 2, 2005

Hi Martin,
Not sure about your problem, TBH - I can find you without any problems, either by using the search window (specifying Members), or via Directory - Search By Name.

Obviously, this only works for members who have chosen to display their real name.

Best regards,
Ralf

lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Quick find Jul 2, 2005

I used it to send quickly a message to a translator via proz, any member and now I have to dig through menu and submenus to find someone.

Why only people with their real names ? Everyone should be find by the name they have on proz.

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
What has changed? Jul 2, 2005

Hi lien,
I used it to send quickly a message to a translator via proz, any member and now I have to dig through menu and submenus to find someone.

Why? What happens if you use either of the two options I described?

Why only people with their real names ? Everyone should be find by the name they have on proz.

Of course - but in that case, you will need to know their username. Note that this is clearly indicated on the search window:

Profiles of users who have chosen to remain anonymous can only be found by entering the username (or a portion of it).

Martin's post referred to a name - if I don't know I'm searching for "lien", I won't find you...

Best regards,
Ralf

Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:42
Member (2000)
Russian to English
+ ...
Ralf is right Jul 2, 2005

I have not had any problem with this. Provided you use the pulldown Directory menu and Search by Name, rather than going into Directory itself, it works as it always did for proper names or usernames, except for those who do not want to be traced by their username. I have just checked this and it works fine.

Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
What Ralf said Jul 2, 2005

about the search window (specifying Members) probably only works for Platinum, because it doesn't even find schmurr

via Directory - Search By Name it does work! Maybe instead of "Directory" it could be called "Translators"... or "Names"...

[Edited at 2005-07-02 11:52]

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Bug? Jul 2, 2005

Hi Martin,

If you press [GO] right below the box where you enter the name, it should work. However, there seems to be a small bug, because the [GO] next to Members directs you to the Translator Directory, as you noticed.

Jason Grimes
Local time: 18:42
SITE STAFF
Fixed a bug and differentiated between "Go" and "Search" Jul 2, 2005

Hi folks,

I have fixed a bug that would have prevented the search box on the left from working properly in some cases.

Entering a member name in the search field and clicking enter will return a link to the member's profile. This works for all members, not just platinums. I tested this while logged in with your account, Martin, and it works now. If you continue to have trouble, please let me know which browser you are using.

I have also renamed the button from "Go" to "Search", to clarify that clicking it causes a search to be performed. Clicking the "[go]" links next to each search option will take you to the main page for each option, rather than performing a search.

Clicking the "[go]" link next to the "Members" option goes to the new freelancer directory, which is the most used directory on the site. From that page, there is a "Search members by name" link in the "related resources" section of the "quick links" box on the right. Clicking that link will take you to a more detailed form for searching members by name. As others have noted, that form is also available by selecting Directory->Search by name from the main menu.

I hope this helps to clarify.

Best regards,

Jason

xxxMihai Badea  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Member (2004)
English to Romanian
+ ...
It’s clear now Jul 2, 2005

Jason Grimes wrote:

I hope this helps to clarify.

Thanks for your prompt reaction and for the clarifications!

Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
It's there but hard to find Jul 3, 2005

The first few times I searched using user name I had a hard time figuring out where to type in the translator's name. I still have to go through this learning curve if it has been a few weeks since I last used this search feature.

Suggestion: always have the translator name search field right at the top on any translator search screen.

Italian to German
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks Jason!! Jul 4, 2005

now maybe you could also explain me why I can't log in at ProZ on Safari? It keeps telling me "Incorrect username or password". With IE on the same Mac it works, but IE doesn't work for my mail site web.de and often crashes on Mac anyway...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Why has translators name search been abolished? [Staff: It hasn't]

Advanced search

SDL MultiTerm 2017
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2017 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2017 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs