https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/35018-editing_of_knowledge_base_articles.html

Editing of Knowledge Base Articles
Thread poster: Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Jul 23, 2005

I suggest that knowledge base articles be reread and edited prior to posting regardless of the language in which they are written.

I have been looking at some articles and find the English mistakes distressing. I think a site dedicated to professional translators should post "features" of this kind i.e. ones that feature the writer using grammatical language. Otherwise is detracts from the site and from the writer. If people are non-native speakers of the language they are writing
... See more
I suggest that knowledge base articles be reread and edited prior to posting regardless of the language in which they are written.

I have been looking at some articles and find the English mistakes distressing. I think a site dedicated to professional translators should post "features" of this kind i.e. ones that feature the writer using grammatical language. Otherwise is detracts from the site and from the writer. If people are non-native speakers of the language they are writing in, the articles should be edited. Otherwise, it will drag down the overall seriousness and quality of the entire forum.

That is all.

[Edited at 2005-07-23 23:57]
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Good suggestion Jul 24, 2005

I agree. This is a very good suggestion for the reasons Jane gave.
It might also encourage those who have some valuable knowledge to share, but whose language skills are not perfect, to contribute.

Nizamettin Yigit
Nizamettin Yigit  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 03:21
Dutch to Turkish
+ ...
But how Jul 24, 2005

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

I have been looking at some articles and find the English mistakes distressing. I think a site dedicated to professional translators should post "features" of this kind i.e. ones that feature the writer using grammatical language. Otherwise is detracts from the site and from the writer. If people are non-native speakers of the language they are writing in, the articles should be edited. Otherwise, it will drag down the overall seriousness and quality of the entire forum.

That is all.

You suggest something that is very nice.

How should it be done? Who should edit?

Remember editing or rejecting a kudoz question is also discussed. And it is difficult to say who should do it and how. It may be better, if you suggest a formula as well.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:21
Flemish to English
+ ...
Time consuming Jul 24, 2005

You could make the same suggestion about the fora.
Editing all that is written on Proz.com is a time-consuming task.

Dr. Janos Annus (X)
Dr. Janos Annus (X)  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:21
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Besides, submissions should be spell-checked :) Jul 24, 2005

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:

Otherwise is detracts from the site and from the writer. If people are non-native speakers of the language they are writing in, the articles should be edited.

That is all.

Many people here are translators, but English etc. may not be their native language, no wonder they make some mistakes. I have not found , so far, any post yet which I could not understand, despite the text's shotcomings. Let it be the way it is. This is not a translation work, rather a discussion forum.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 18:21
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Only knowledge base articles Jul 24, 2005

As I understood it, the suggestion was only about editing Knowledge Base articles. In a sense, these are "published" on the site, and like any article would benefit from editing before being published.

[Edited at 2005-07-24 09:21]

Mihai Badea (X)
Mihai Badea (X)  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
English to Romanian
+ ...
Possible solution Jul 24, 2005

I think non-native English speakers should have their English articles edited by a native speaker colleague whose name should be mentioned as well (“This article was edited by ...”). At least, this is how I intend to do when I finish the article I’m writing now.

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Misprision Jul 24, 2005

Williamson wrote:

You could make the same suggestion about the fora.
Editing all that is written on Proz.com is a time-consuming task.

I think some answerers misunderstood me....which leads me to beleive that either I was not clear or the distinctions I made were not understood.

1) Knowledge Base articles should be edited in whatever language in which they are written. Articles are supposed to be formal written vehicles for ideas. If formal written vehicles for ideas are not grammatical in the language in which they are written, or contain other language errors, what is the point? 2) I can only comment on the ones I see in English since that is the only language I am qualified to edit.
3) Knowledge bases are supposed to transmit knowledge. If non-literary translators and literary translators write articles about their activity, those articles should be edited.
4) I don't think any IT company or other company using the idea of a knowledge base would put up articles on their web sites without having the articles proofread/copy edited.

I hope this is clearer.....

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Knowledge base articles are not a discussion forum Jul 24, 2005

Many people here are translators, but English etc. may not be their native language, no wonder they make some mistakes. I have not found , so far, any post yet which I could not understand, despite the text's shotcomings. Let it be the way it is. This is not a translation work, rather a discussion forum.

janosa...I think perhaps my idea was not clear then. The Knowledge Base is not a discussion forum per se. It contains written articles that pass on knowledge. Shouldn't that be transmitted with the proper written rigor? It does not matter what language the article is in...all writing that is published is generally edited...

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Editing of Knowledge Base Articles

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »