Thread poster: Sven Petersson

Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 14:40
English to Swedish
+ ...
Aug 1, 2005

Reward those who deserve it!

Offer free ProZ.com Platinum Memberships to those who are among the top 10 on the KudoZ leader board (Any language > Any language)!

Direct link Reply with quote

Tamara Sinobad  Identity Verified
Serbia
Member (2005)
English to Serbian
+ ...
Fair enough Aug 1, 2005

I agree with you because answering KudoZ questions takes a lot of time and effort and it's one of the features that makes this site better than the others! KudoZ leaders should definitely be awarded.

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Reward? Aug 1, 2005

Is this serious?
Tamara Sinobad wrote:
KudoZ leaders should definitely be awarded.

But they already got a reward:
boosting their profile
getting more clients
etc. etc.
Maybe I am missing something..? :/

bernadette schumer  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
Dutch to French
+ ...
Reward ? Aug 1, 2005

I completely agree with Tuliparola...

Bernadette

Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:40
Latvian to English
+ ...
Why Kudoz leaders? Aug 1, 2005

Whilst I agree, on principle, that rewards/incentives are a good thing, rewarding those with the highest number of Kudoz points is clearly unfair towards those who work with less popular languages.

I am all for supporting proz.com with my credit card once a year rather than expecting proz.com to support me. If we are going to start handing out rewards, then they should go to all the moderators for all their hard work.

[Edited at 2005-08-01 12:30]

Cilian O'Tuama
German to English
+ ...
Reward those who deserve it? Aug 1, 2005

Great idea! But are point leaders more "deserving" than others? What about e.g. some of the non-dormant moderators, and e.g. those members who take part in the forums, who try to improve the site, who help newcomers, who compile glossaries, who share their knowledge without actually posting their own suggestions...?

Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 15:40
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Great idea! Aug 1, 2005

Sven Petersson wrote:
Reward those who deserve it!

They do deserve it, and I'm amazed to read these critizing postings. Giving rewards to the active proZians is natural. Giving rewards to legendary members is even more natural. I don't understand why some people take it as an offence. First of all, the site owners have they right to decide. Second, why don't appreciate kudoZ leaders whose input in the site is so impressive?

Stephanie Wloch  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Dutch to German
Appreciation in so many ways Aug 1, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:
Second, why don't appreciate kudoZ leaders whose input in the site is so impressive?

Who does not appreciate them?
Their efforts and rewards are more than visible throughout the site.
But I agree with Cilian there are other helpful colleagues, who are rather invisible in terms of ranking lists.
There are no ranking lists for useful forum threads or the best glossaries etc.
And once a Kudoz leader told me that he gets more clients because of his leadership. Isn't that a nice reward?

Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
It's great that someone get prizes Aug 1, 2005

Tuliparola wrote:
There are no ranking lists for useful forum threads or the best glossaries etc.
And once a Kudoz leader told me that he gets more clients because of his leadership. Isn't that a nice reward?

They earned it with the efforts they put in the site. It's impossible to reward everyone who supports the site, so I see only the positive side in this news: the people who have done very much for the site development got their prizes. My congratulations! As the recent quick poll shows, kudoZ is the favourite part of proZians. I believe that KudoZ is one of the major features which make ProZ so special and great among other translators' directories. Mentioning that KudoZ champions have already had their indirect reward (being the most visible, etc.) sounds strange to me. It's like saying a famous tennisist shouldn't have his/her money prize at a competition just because (s)he is already a star and celebrity.

Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:40
German to English
Point leaders Aug 1, 2005

Kirill Semenov wrote:

They do deserve it, and I'm amazed to read these critizing postings. Giving rewards to the active proZians is natural. Giving rewards to legendary members is even more natural. I don't understand why some people take it as an offence.

Hi Kirill, but wouldn't we want to apply your reliability ratio first?

http://www.proz.com/post/170063

Do we really want to celebrate/reward a guy who answers 40 questions a day and typically gets 30 of them wrong? With 10 answers selected per day, he will earn 1,200 per month and will be one of our "outstanding" contributors.

[Edited at 2005-08-01 13:49]

[Edited at 2005-08-01 15:19]

TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Anyone for tennis? Aug 1, 2005

Then maybe we ought to check the track records of the top Kudoz seeds for unforced errors and foot faults ...

New balls, please!

[Edited at 2005-08-01 14:14]

[Edited at 2005-08-01 14:15]

Ukraine
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
A very good point, Kim :) Aug 1, 2005

Kim Metzger wrote:
Hi Kirill, but wouldn't we want to apply your reliability ratio first?

Do we really want to celebrate/reward a guy who answers 40 questions a day and averages 12 points a day?

[Edited at 2005-08-01 13:49]

Yes, there are cases. But I appreciate giving such a proZian a prize for the most number of answers proposed, anyway.

Going back to serious mode, I think that most of the kudoZ champions do deserve a praise. The Hall of Fame shows that we speak only about four persons who can get the free platinumship in this case, so I don't really see a problem. Moreover, as I told before, it's only the site owners' right to decide whom to give prizes. Well may be that this is only the beginning of a promotional "prize campaign". The more freebies the better

[Edited at 2005-08-01 14:16]

[Edited at 2005-08-01 14:16]

TonyTK
German to English
+ ...
Or we could write poems for them ... Aug 1, 2005

Twas ruiz, and the oso gilles
Did marc and metzger in the hinds:
All francis were the jarema,
And the jane kim greenfield.

"Beware the Meunier, my son!
The jaws that bite, the claws that catch!
Beware the bartek bird, and shun
The marian petersson!"

writeaway  Identity Verified

Partial member (2003)
French to English
+ ...
Don't forget double faults and balls that are out by a long shot..... Aug 1, 2005

TonyTK wrote:

Then maybe we ought to check the track records of the top Kudoz seeds for unforced errors and foot faults ...

New balls, please!

[Edited at 2005-08-01 14:14]

[Edited at 2005-08-01 14:15]

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Awards will create real abuse Aug 1, 2005

I don't think this is a good idea.

Once people can earn more than a couple of "lousy points", more abusers, point-grabbers and God-knows-what will finally have a real reason to attack the KudoZ section. And this time, it may not be that guy who answers 40 questions a day, it may be someone with a good knowledge in scripting who might get the servers down with too many requests.

Sonja

Pages in topic:   [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Free ProZ.com Platinum Membership!

Advanced search

WordFinder
The words you want Anywhere, Anytime

WordFinder is the market's fastest and easiest way of finding the right word, term, translation or synonym in one or more dictionaries. In our assortment you can choose among more than 120 dictionaries in 15 languages from leading publishers.

More info »
memoQ translator pro
Kilgray's memoQ is the world's fastest developing integrated localization & translation environment rendering you more productive and efficient.

With our advanced file filters, unlimited language and advanced file support, memoQ translator pro has been designed for translators and reviewers who work on their own, with other translators or in team-based translation projects.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs