Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 19:19
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Aug 5, 2005

G'day

As a dial-up user I often save a page on my hard disk for later reading when I find something interesting that I want to read in more detail later. This has now happened to a Proz job posting. I wrote the e-mail to the poster off-line, but when I wanted to mention my Proz membership number, I couldn't find it (or remember it).

I would have thought that when I'm logged in, that my member number would be written somewhere on the page (or that there would be an image link to my profile page, so that I can read the number via the link URL.

But this is not the case. So here's my suggestion:

Have the member' Proz member number displayed on every page (below his name on the left would be fine) when he is logged in, so that any pages saved by him, will have his number on it for reference. It can be a text link or a simple image.

Direct link Reply with quote

Lucinda  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:19
Member (2002)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hi Samuel, Aug 5, 2005

As a dial up user, I was faced with the same problem, but I solved it by copying the info on a sticky note and pasting it to the side of my computer.

Not so hi-tech, but it works.

Greetings from
Lucinda in Sunny Suriname

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
German to English
+ ...
Question Aug 5, 2005

Hi Samuel,

Why would you want to give your ProZ membership number to a job poster? Nothing wrong with it, but isn't it enough to just say you're a member? I don't give my ATA-membership number to anybody.

Just curious...

Trudy

[Edited at 2005-08-05 21:31]

[Edited at 2005-08-05 21:33]

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 20:19
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I have my ProZ number in my regular email signature Aug 5, 2005

I don't remember it by heart either, so when I want to look it up for any purpose, I open my email signature.
There are 2 more options- if you are already logged in you can go to "My ProZ.com", the number will show in the address line, or the other- I keep on the desktop a text file with all my passwords and like. Of course, you have yourself to write this file, but believe me- it comes handy- especially if you are going on holidays to another country or like without your laptop- you have to take with you only a memory stick with this file.

And Trudy- ProZ profile is something different- if you have filled it nice enough, you may want to give the number to a client just as advertisment of your services.

Uldis

Trudy Peters wrote:

Hi Samuel,

Why would you want to give your ProZ membership number to a job poster? Nothing wrong with it, but isn't it enough to just say you're a member? I don't give my ATA-membership number to anybody.

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 11:19
Spanish to English
+ ...
Another option Aug 6, 2005

Add your profile http://www.proz.com/pro/[your_number] to your bookmarks.

[Edited at 2005-08-06 00:06]

Steven Sidore  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
German to English
To show direct potential outsourcers to your profile page Aug 6, 2005

Trudy Peters wrote:

Hi Samuel,

Just curious...

Trudy

[Edited at 2005-08-05 21:31]

[Edited at 2005-08-05 21:33]

If you want to provide potential outsources with a direct link to your profile page, then you need to know your number (or be able to copy a direct link.)

Since my CV is on my profile, it's often easier to point people that way then attach it when applying for certain jobs.

Make sense?

Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I always mention my number Aug 6, 2005

Trudy Peters wrote:

I not only mention my Proz number... I give the full URL to my Proz profile page. I also provide the URL of the job posting, for reference purposes. It's always better to also give your membership number because it increases your credibility because it's potentially easier for them to check up on the fact.

When I was a member of SATI, I also always quoted my SATI membership number. Again, it enhances credibility. It also enables them to contact SATI and ask about me without having to worry about communication problems such as accent or common names.

Why don't you give your ATA membership number out? Only you can use it, after all, and I'm sure people can check up on you much easier if they have your ATA number.

Trudy Peters  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:19
German to English
+ ...
Uldis/Steven Aug 6, 2005

Steven Sidore wrote:

If you want to provide potential outsources with a direct link to your profile page, then you need to know your number (or be able to copy a direct link.)

Since my CV is on my profile, it's often easier to point people that way then attach it when applying for certain jobs.

Make sense?

Can't you refer clients to your profile by using your name (or the name that's listed in the profile)? Pardon me for being so dense...

Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
Member (2003)
English to Czech
+ ...
Too complicated Aug 6, 2005

Trudy Peters wrote:

Can't you refer clients to your profile by using your name (or the name that's listed in the profile)? Pardon me for being so dense...

It's too complicated, because the client would have to search for the name first to get to the profile page. Providing an exact URL (comprised of "http://www.proz.com/pro/" and the Proz number) is the best way.

The Proz number is no secret, anybody can see it anyway.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Have Proz number visible always when logged in

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs