Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:04
Member (2002)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Aug 12, 2005

I am up working late tonight and while using the ProZ.com KudoZ glossaries, I got an idea.

After doing a KudoZ search, why not let users have the option to award 1 BrowniZ point to the answer (if any) that they found most useful. This should be easy and fast to do by simply clicking on a button next to the answer's name (without changing the page)so as not to interfere with research.

This would give answerers an extra reward and incentive. In addition, even if your answ
... See more
I am up working late tonight and while using the ProZ.com KudoZ glossaries, I got an idea.

After doing a KudoZ search, why not let users have the option to award 1 BrowniZ point to the answer (if any) that they found most useful. This should be easy and fast to do by simply clicking on a button next to the answer's name (without changing the page)so as not to interfere with research.

This would give answerers an extra reward and incentive. In addition, even if your answer is not selected by the asker, you will still have the opportunity to be rewarded later on by someone else who finds your reponse more suitable for their particular project.

Members would be prohibted from voting for their own answers, of course. And each member can only award one BrowniZ point to any one particular answerer per day to prevent abuse.

Text could be added to each answer stating something like "25 'Proz' found this answer useful".

[Edited at 2005-08-12 07:10]
Collapse

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 02:04
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
I like the last part Aug 12, 2005

I have more BrowniZ than I know what to do with, but I do like this part.

"Text could be added to each answer stating something like "25 ProZ.com found this answer useful"."

António Ribeiro
António Ribeiro  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
BrowniZ points: what to do with them? Aug 12, 2005

Michele Fauble wrote:

I have more BrowniZ than I know what to do with,

I also don't know what to do with the BrowniZ points. Please, can someone explain?

António Ribeiro

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 11:04
English to German
+ ...
Check the FAQ Aug 12, 2005

Hi António,
I also don't know what to do with the BrowniZ points. Please, can someone explain?

Have you checked the FAQ?

Best regards,
Ralf

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:04
Spanish to English
Something similar suggested recently Aug 12, 2005

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

Text could be added to each answer stating something like "25 'Proz' found this answer useful".

That sounds like a good idea. I'm sure that someone suggested something very similar very recently, but can't remember who or when or where.

Like Michele, I have loads more Browniz than I'll ever need for money off Platinum membership, but perhaps other members would find that useful (in which case ten points might be more feasible??)

cello
cello  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Good idea Jeff Aug 12, 2005

Jeff Whittaker wrote:

[Edited at 2005-08-12 07:10]

This sounds like an excellent idea to me and would also be a way of knowing, in the long term, which suggested translations are in fact the most useful

Сергей Лузан
Сергей Лузан
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:04
German to Russian
+ ...
BrowniZ points for KudoZ answerers/ answers Aug 12, 2005

I presume it's an excellent idea. I readily agree. I used once excellent (not winning) answers by andycw and Henry Hinds (En-Sp & Sp-En) for my answers in Sp-Ru or Ru-Sp pair. With references, of course. They became winning ones the times I used them. Around 70 - 80 times I used answers from the Kudoz-glossary (Ru-En/ En-Ru), not less than 30 times I used answers Ge-En & En-Ge and approximately a gross times answers from En-Sp & Sp-En for my projects. Of course, answerers should be awarded with ... See more
I presume it's an excellent idea. I readily agree. I used once excellent (not winning) answers by andycw and Henry Hinds (En-Sp & Sp-En) for my answers in Sp-Ru or Ru-Sp pair. With references, of course. They became winning ones the times I used them. Around 70 - 80 times I used answers from the Kudoz-glossary (Ru-En/ En-Ru), not less than 30 times I used answers Ge-En & En-Ge and approximately a gross times answers from En-Sp & Sp-En for my projects. Of course, answerers should be awarded with my BrowniZ (from 1 to 10, I suggest) that could be converted probably into Kudoz at askers discretion IMHO. The procedures of it could be discussed. I selected for the most part not winning answers, but it didn't make them less helpful.

[Edited at 2005-08-12 13:53]
Collapse

craigs
craigs
Local time: 05:04
English to Portuguese
+ ...
With all those BrowniZ Aug 12, 2005

António Ribeiro wrote:

Michele Fauble wrote:

I have more BrowniZ than I know what to do with,

António Ribeiro

You can bid ... on projects ... a lot!

Seriously though, I to have been longing for a way to at least acknowledge to whomever (even if it be from a personal glossary) how useful their term was.

Rebecca Hendry
Rebecca Hendry  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 10:04
Member (2005)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Usefulness of glossary entries Aug 13, 2005

I think a system that shows how many people have looked at your glossary entries and found them useful would be a great idea. It would be rewarding for the glossary creator and also interesting to see which terms are looked up most frequently.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

BrowniZ points for KudoZ answerers

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »