Create a translators/interpreters-outsourcers/agencies forum
Thread poster: Momoka
Momoka  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:03
Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 14, 2005

I think knowing more about each other will definitely help both sides do better, and this kind of forum would be a place for information exchange on our job, looked at from both sides.
I know some other forums have been used so far for the same purpose, but to be honest I don't feel outsources/agencies voice has found a place in Proz, and as service suppliers I think translators/interpreters need as much feedback as possible.
What do you think? Any comments?

Direct link Reply with quote

Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:03
Flemish to English
+ ...
Well founded feedback... Aug 14, 2005

I agree if the outsourcer gives correct feedback about spelling-errors, omissions, wrong transposition of meaning etc...
Of course, we are all perfect and never make mistakes...
Mistakes are human and you learn from them and from the mistakes of others...

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To make it clear Aug 14, 2005

Just in case I didn't express myself well enough, I'm not suggesting here a forum for agencies to let everyone know how good or bad a particular translator or interpreter did in a particular job; all I'm proposing is to create a forum for GENERAL information exchange: common problems clients find when working with freelancers (we hear about problems of freelancers with agencies almost every day), how they think and what they expect...many members have made comments on how some clients don't have the slightest idea on how things work when it comes to translations, CAT tools, completion periods and deadlines, etc. It is easy to discuss these topics between translators, as it must be easy for agencies to discuss their own problem with freelancers among themselves, but it seems to me there is still a lot of ignorance about each other in the middle, and I'm just trying to suggest a way to overcome that, that's all.

Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 16:03
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Yes, IMO good idea Aug 14, 2005

Seconded.

Uldis

Momoka wrote:

I think knowing more about each other will definitely help both sides do better, and this kind of forum would be a place for information exchange on our job, looked at from both sides.
I know some other forums have been used so far for the same purpose, but to be honest I don't feel outsources/agencies voice has found a place in Proz, and as service suppliers I think translators/interpreters need as much feedback as possible.
What do you think? Any comments?

Sonja Tomaskovic  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:03
English to German
+ ...
.. Aug 14, 2005

I would definitely like to see such a forum. I just don't believe that many outsourcerers (agencies) will actually participate in this.

From my point of view, agencies visit Proz.com when they need a translator. They browse the directory and, if they can' find a suitable translator, post a job and leave. That's it. Smaller agencies might be lurking around from time to time (and some of them even participating actively), but IMHO, most of the PMs in larger translation companies neither have the time nor the interest to share their views, opinions and experiences with us.

Maybe you can prove me wrong, actually I hope you can. I'd really love to learn more from agencies and, at least, try to understand some of their motives.

Sonja

[Edited at 2005-08-14 19:30]

Japanese to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I know, Sonja Aug 14, 2005

Sonja Tomaskovic wrote:

I just don't believe that many outsourcerers (agencies) will actually participate in this.

From my point of view, agencies visit Proz.com when they need a translator. They browse the directory and, if they can' find a suitable translator, post a job and leave. That's it. Smaller agencies might be lurking around from time to time (and some of them evening participating actively), but IMHO, most of the PMs in larger translation companies neither have the time nor the interest to share their views, opinions and experiences with us.

Sonja

And must admit that I had my doubts before posting this suggestion for a lot of reasons, but in the end I decided it's worth the try, and we do have some outsourcers in the site and a directory for agencies, so that gives me some hope. It's just a suggestion but if accepted and put to work, maybe Proz.com staff could give us a hand in making outsourcers/agencies take part (sorry for trying to keep you just too busy, guys! By the way, thank you always for the good work).

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Create a translators/interpreters-outsourcers/agencies forum

Advanced search

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums