Mobile menu

Allowing Answerers only to enter their winning answer in KOG
Thread poster: xxxdf49f
xxxdf49f
France
Local time: 22:49
Aug 23, 2005

Hi
Answerers whose question has been chosen, can currently enter their winning suggestion in the KOG only if Asker has not already done so when grading the question. This results in credit being given to Asker for the Answerer's proposed term.
Yet it would be nice and fair for Answerers to be rewarded for their help and contribution by being recognized as the contributor in the KOG listings.
Would it perhaps be possible to eliminate the possibility for Askers to enter the term chosen in the KOG when grading, and leave it up to Answerer alone?
Best regards
dominique

Direct link Reply with quote

Angela Breitsameter de Téllez  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2005)
Spanish to German
+ ...
Points for the winner only Aug 23, 2005

I think so, as well. It's a small recognition for the efforts of answerers.

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 15:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
What about the asker's control over terms? Aug 23, 2005

I think that is fair enough...

Then again, the asker is who ultimately knows how a certain phrase or term fits best within the question's context.

It's his/her question after all...

I, for one, enter each and every one of the answers I choose when I grade questions [well, except for a few that don't actually fit into a glossary category per se], and sometimes the actual glossary entry does not contain the chosen answer word by word, but rather I modify it so it is entered in the correct format (i.e., singular rather than plural forms, for an easier search), and some other times I even enter several options, using a slash / -- you all know that there are times when not only one but several or all of the answers received are good, but we can only choose one

And I'd absolutely hate to not have control over what I enter into the glossaries when I grade my questions!

Another thing: whenever I enter the terms into the KOG, I also choose the option to enter them in my OWN glossaries. Not allll the time, but I do, I do!

As a matter of fact, the other day I was thinking I need to reorganize my glossaries, as I have neglected them a bit. I still have to find an easy way to do this, but that is a topic for another post

Those are my 2¢'s worth

Miomira Brankovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Who should be credited with glossary entries Aug 23, 2005

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:

Then again, the asker is who ultimately knows how a certain phrase or term fits best within the question's context.

It's his/her question after all...

Another thing: whenever I enter the terms into the KOG, I also choose the option to enter them in my OWN glossaries. Not allll the time, but I do, I do!

An asker asks for a translation of a term he/she does not know, and than adds to his/her personal glossary something that someone else served him/her on a platter, the product of someone else's knowledge, research, experience, expertise... I don't get it and I strongly disaprove of it. In my opinion a personal glossary should be a compilation of the terms and relevant translations that you yourself figured out, not of those that someone else solved for you.

María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 15:49
English to Spanish
+ ...
Why I think control over glossary entries should remain with the asker Aug 24, 2005

Miomira Brankovic wrote:

An asker asks for a translation of a term he/she does not know, and than adds to his/her personal glossary something that someone else served him/her on a platter, the product of someone else's knowledge, research, experience, expertise... I don't get it and I strongly disaprove of it. In my opinion a personal glossary should be a compilation of the terms and relevant translations that you yourself figured out, not of those that someone else solved for you.

You seem to think we who ask questions do it because we're too lazy to figure answers ourselves...?

"Serve on a platter"!? I personally don't force anyone to answer my questions, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate, very much, each and every answer I get.

"Someone else's knowledge, research, experience, expertise"

So my own "knowledge, research, experience, expertise" don't count when choosing an answer and making an entry in the glossaries?

I don't ask questions because I'm inexperienced, I ask questions *precisely* because I'm experienced enough to know that 1) nobody EVER will have *all* the answers to *everything* 2) it's better to recognize I don't know something and ask a question instead of botching a job.

"...translations that you yourself figured out, not of those that someone else solved for you."

But it is MY question after all, and *I* choose the final answer, and *I* get to decide, ultimately, how that answer will fit in my context and how *I* will use it. So yes, I do figure out the translation in the end. Answerers just point me in the right direction, they aren't doing the job for me.

I think I should probably state the obvious: there is no UNIQUE answer for every question. It's true we choose ONE answer when we grade and close a question, but that's how the (KudoZ) system works, not because it's the *one & only* answer (sometimes it is, but that's another point).

That's my argument, as an asker.

As an answerer, well, I thought the whole idea behind KudoZ was to be a collaborative project, not fighting over who gets credit for what.

So if another person chooses an answer I gave and gets to add one more entry to his or her glossary AND to the KOG, hey, I will feel good that 1) I helped KudoZ grow and be enriched by our collective expertise and 2) I helped a colleague finish a job. Why should I care if I'm given credit for the glossary entry? It's not that important to me.

xxxdf49f
France
TOPIC STARTER
thanksgiving Aug 24, 2005

My position is the following:
I ALWAYS let the answerer enter the term I picked in the glossary (KOG and his/her own) out of recognition/thanksgiving for his/her help. Answerers were generous enough to share their time and knowledge with me - the least I can do (aside from saying Thanks) is to allow her/him to 1) get a couple of Browniz, 2) get credited for it in the KOG, and 3) make it easier for her/him to enter it in their personal glossaries if they so wish.

Of course, we choose what fits best in our text/context, and may even end up using something slightly or very different from the answer we picked. But once we've chosen an answer, why be afraid of "losing control" over that glossary entry?? (the only control over the term I can rightfully claim, is what use I make of it in my document).

And lastly, I wouldn't even dream of entering a term/phrase offered as a gift, in my own personal kudoz glossary... credit for it should go to its source, not to me.

df

Miomira Brankovic  Identity Verified
Serbia
English to Serbian
+ ...
Nothing personal Aug 24, 2005

Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:

You seem to think we who ask questions do it because we're too lazy to figure answers ourselves...?

I never implied anything of the sort and I regret if I was misunderstood. Like yourself and many other fellow-ProZians, I am more often an answerer than an asker. I do not know everything and when I don't I ask those who do. The whole point of my post was that I would never dream of entering into *my personal glossary* the answer someone else provided to my question, because I think that it would be unfair to the answeror - I did not know the right term, he/she did, so that person should be allowed to make an entry into his/her personal glossary. KOG is another thing and I always make an entry into KOG for the benefit of other translators.
That is my opinion and other people, of course, may or may not agree with it.

As an answerer, well, I thought the whole idea behind KudoZ was to be a collaborative project, not fighting over who gets credit for what.

I could not agree more. That is precisely why I regularly participate in KudoZ and points and credits are not my motives. But if we are given some points and some credits, then I think they should be awarded fairly.

ViktoriaG  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 16:49
English to French
+ ...
Give to Caesar what belongs to Caesar Aug 24, 2005

Hello,

Here are my two cents:

I think whoever provided the right answer should get recognition for it. As for the best answer not being the right answer, well, why would one give credit for an answer that was not convenient for the translator? If you don'T get what you were looking for, say you found the answer elsewhere, close the question and post an asker's note thanking everybody for their efforts. However, if the best answer did put you on the right track in finding the right answer, give 2 points and let the answerer enter it in the glossary, all the while letting them know that it wasn't quite what you were looking for, but it was very helpful in finding what you were looking for.

Why complicate something that should be helpful and fun?

juvera  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:49
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Fit the context? Aug 29, 2005

[quote]Maria Teresa Taylor Oliver wrote:

"But it is MY question after all, and *I* choose the final answer, and *I* get to decide, ultimately, how that answer will fit in my context and how *I* will use it."

Dear Maria Teresa,

I don't feel very strongly about the issue, although I think it is nice to get the points for one's (sometimes considerable)efforts, but as you say nobody forces anybody to answer.

Where the problem arises is in the above sentence from you.
It is your question, and you choose the final answer. Fine. It will fit your context, but does it fit to be put into the glossary that way? The fact that it fits your context the way you want it, may just make it less than desirable for a glossary to be used as a reference.

I have known answers accepted, where verbatim translation won in spite of overwhelming odds against it, simply, because the translator understood it better, and (mistakenly) thought that his target audience will also understand it better. That's how strange things creep into EU English for example. There are other examples, but I don't want to make a long list.

Once a subjective answer is accepted without sufficient explanation, and the phrase gets into the glossary, where there is no context, the only thing we can do is adding comments to the glossary.

So, when you put your phrase into the glossary, please, at least be aware that what may fit your context, may not fit the glossary.

Regards
Judith

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Allowing Answerers only to enter their winning answer in KOG

Advanced search

PDF Translation - the Easy Way
TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation.

TransPDF converts your PDFs to XLIFF ready for professional translation. It also puts your translations back into the PDF to make new PDFs. Quicker and more accurate than hand-editing PDF. Includes free use of Infix PDF Editor with your translated PDFs.

More info »
Déjà Vu X3
Try it, Love it

Find out why Déjà Vu is today the most flexible, customizable and user-friendly tool on the market. See the brand new features in action: *Completely redesigned user interface *Live Preview *Inline spell checking *Inline

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs