https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/3620-trados_what_do_you_think_about_customer_care.html

Trados - what do you think about customer care???
Thread poster: Edward Mayer
Edward Mayer
Edward Mayer
Local time: 13:38
English to German
+ ...
Jun 28, 2002

First of all let me say that Trados customer care in Europe is very bad. We had a lot of problems today and nobody could help us. In addition to that, it took about 5 hours before we were able to speak with anyone. In fact, we phoned several times--no one seemed to think it was important enough to call us back. Atril does it fast and friendly.

What do you think?

Secondly, we had a job which was supposed to be done in TagEditor. When we sent a .txt file
... See more
First of all let me say that Trados customer care in Europe is very bad. We had a lot of problems today and nobody could help us. In addition to that, it took about 5 hours before we were able to speak with anyone. In fact, we phoned several times--no one seemed to think it was important enough to call us back. Atril does it fast and friendly.

What do you think?

Secondly, we had a job which was supposed to be done in TagEditor. When we sent a .txt file to the translator she could not open it (nor could 3 other translators). They all use Trados 3. Freelance. So, the job was done in version 3. We got the .bif file back and then...had a lot of problems. First of all, Trados should have said somewhere that the versions are not compatible (not sure, but looks like that). Secondly, we were trying to save this file as the original document and import it to PageMaker. We could not save it as a .txt (only as .xml). This is really stupid (excuse my language please) that you can not do that. So we could not create a file to import it back to the PageMaker. Why? Looks like we had to open the txt file, save it, then send as ttx file to the translator. The translator does the translation...and what is next? Should they send us back a .ttx or .bif file? But I need a final .txt. And the translator could not do that, because the software only gave her the option of saving as an .xml file.

Could you please make it more clear to people who are still working with Trados software? And go step by step: what should we do next time to avoid the problems that we had. Thank you very much.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
No problem whatsoever Jun 29, 2002

I have exactly the opposite experience - during European business hours, I don\'t even have to call, but simply send an e-mail. If the problem can be solved straight away, I usually get feedback in less than an hour.

That said, I have a support agreement, which I consider essential.

Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)
Nathalie M. Girard, ALHC (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
No support agreement - no problem so far with response Jun 29, 2002

Good afternoon,

Just wanted to say that I recently had a dongle problem (it would cut-off while I was working, then come back on when ever it felt like it!!!).

I contacted the USA office and they replied to me, sending me the harvester test to run ect... although it passed the test (my dongle is very old - been using it since version 2.x), they asked the dublin office to send me a new one via DHL.

It did take awhile to get the new do
... See more
Good afternoon,

Just wanted to say that I recently had a dongle problem (it would cut-off while I was working, then come back on when ever it felt like it!!!).

I contacted the USA office and they replied to me, sending me the harvester test to run ect... although it passed the test (my dongle is very old - been using it since version 2.x), they asked the dublin office to send me a new one via DHL.

It did take awhile to get the new dongle etc, but it works fine and they were quick to respond, even though I do not have a support agreement with them.

Regards,

Nathalie
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
No problems with support Jun 29, 2002

and no problems with exporting and importing files from/into Pagemaker.

There are two possibilities to work with PM files. But first of all, the add-on \"Story Collector for PM\" must be copied from the TRADOS installation directory to the add-on directory of your PM installation. After that, you can export the text from PM file using this add-on (going to Extras - Add-On - Story Collector for PM\". After opening this add-on and clicking export you´ll be prompted for a name
... See more
and no problems with exporting and importing files from/into Pagemaker.

There are two possibilities to work with PM files. But first of all, the add-on \"Story Collector for PM\" must be copied from the TRADOS installation directory to the add-on directory of your PM installation. After that, you can export the text from PM file using this add-on (going to Extras - Add-On - Story Collector for PM\". After opening this add-on and clicking export you´ll be prompted for a name for this exported file. The exported file has txt-format.

Now you can open it directly with TagEditor if you are using TRADOS 5 or above. If you don´t, you need to convert this TXT-file to RTF using TRADOS FILTER PACK. If you do not have a copy of this, please contact me privately, so I can provide you the information where you can get this.

After translating the RTF it needs to be converted back via Filterpack, and then you can import the translated/converted TXT in PM.

If you are using Tageditor and translating TXT directly (only TRADOS 5 and above), you must save not only the billingual version, but - and this is very IMPORTANT - the target text. If you do not save the target text as TXT you are not able to import the text into PM, because Story Collector does not support billingual text.

The support from TRADOS is great if you have trouble caused by the software, but they do not want to help if you do not know how to use the software. For this purpose one must have support agreement, which I do not have. They gave me some help at the beginning, but afterwards they said I must pay for support.

HTH

Jerzy
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Trados Support Jul 2, 2002

Hi,

we have updated our trados versions from 3 --> 5.5. We don\'t have accepted the custumer care contract, because most of our problems are caused by software bugs. So our support questions are only cases of guarantee.

Another point are questions caused by bad documentation. Guarantee, too.

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados - what do you think about customer care???

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »