Mobile menu

agrees after the closing of the question... can we stop this nuisance?
Thread poster: Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:12
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Jul 2, 2002

I\'ve been receiving several agrees after the question has been closed, surely in an attempt to gain BrowniZ. I think this has been discussed before, but can the site owner introduce a way of locking the agree/disagree function after the grading? I find it very annoying. This is a type of abuse/scavenging which should not be tolerated.

Giovanni

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-07-02 08:42 ]

Direct link Reply with quote

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:12
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I see it a bit different Jul 2, 2002

Because sometimes the selected answer does not seem to be the best one. Agreeing afterwards can be means to show this.

It is not only \"BrowniZ\" hunting, as you state. I´m sorry, if you do find this annoying, but I think it can be usefull sometimes.

Just my two cents

Jerzy

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
I see what you mean, Jerzy... Jul 2, 2002

but I keep getting lots of agrees to my answer, which was indeed selected... this kind of behaviour can only mean BrowniZ harvesting.

Giovanni

Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
In such a case you are right Jul 2, 2002

So I agree with you, agreeing with an answer after this particular one has been selected seems only to be BrowniZ hunting.

Jerzy

Klaus Herrmann  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
+ ...
Add term to glossary... Jul 2, 2002

I\'ve been wondering why some closed question continue to show the grading button, while others don\'t. So far, my conclusion is that once a the translation has been added to the glossaries, it can\'t be graded anymore. This seems to be an easy way to put an end to the excess grading, if my observation is correct?

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
the glossary... Jul 3, 2002

the reason why the term is often not inserted in the glossary is that, again, very often the answer selected is not 100% correct or the more probable answer has been selected. I would never put a term in a glossary if I\'m not 100% sure that it is correct. I believe that once the answer has been chosen, the agree box should be made unavailable. This would put an end to the Browniz harvesting.

Giovanni

GoodWords  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:12
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
glossary non-entries, end to gratuitous agrees Jul 3, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-07-03 07:48, Verbum Ltd. wrote:

the reason why the term is often not inserted in the glossary is that, again, very often the answer selected is not 100% correct or the more probable answer has been selected. I would never put a term in a glossary if I\'m not 100% sure that it is correct. I believe that once the answer has been chosen, the agree box should be made unavailable. This would put an end to the Browniz harvesting.

Giovanni

Quite so. Another good reason for not making a glossary entry is in cases where the query is extremely context-specific, so that a glossary entry would not be meaningful or helpful. Sometimes, such entries are put into the glossaries anyway; the result is one more garbage glossary entry.

As to your point about removing the agree/function once an answer is selected, right on. It is a simple and effective solution to take care of the problem. Further comments are still possible (for example if we want to comment on a wrong answer selected) by proposing a \"new answer\", in which we can criticize and praise the above answers as much as we like.

United Kingdom
Member (2004)
English to Italian
TOPIC STARTER
Spot on... Jul 4, 2002

\"As to your point about removing the agree/function once an answer is selected, right on. It is a simple and effective solution to take care of the problem. Further comments are still possible (for example if we want to comment on a wrong answer selected) by proposing a \"new answer\", in which we can criticize and praise the above answers as much as we like\".

Exactly that, Goodworks.

Giovanni

Endre Both  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
English to German
Agree/disagree should be enabled even after glossary entry Jul 4, 2002

My opinion seems to be a minority one in this thread, but hopefully not among all ProZ . See also: www.proz.com/?sp=bb/viewtopic&eid_c=30967&topic=3548&forum=14&2

A few reasons:

• Questions are often closed too quickly; in such cases comments can make a real difference to those who look up the question from the glossary later on.

• Adding comments in the form of new answers is not proper use of the system and makes if unnecessarily difficult to get an overview of all opinions.

• Agreeing for the sake of Brownies is only done by very few people, as it is much quicker and easier (and, of course, a bit more productive) to collect Brownies by adding a few entries to your glossaries.

• And finally: when giving an answer, you are free to turn off e-mail notification about comments. Most of the time, it is not difficult to anticipate which questions will draw lots of agrees - just disable notification in such cases.

I, for one, don\'t mind any number of comments (agrees caress my ego and disagrees require an immediate and crushing response, after all).

Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Benefits exceed problems Jul 5, 2002

I agree with Endre - if you see someone \"scavenging\" for BrowniZ, tell the moderator(s) for the language pair concerned. We have dealt with a number of such issues recently; usually people stop doing it once they realise they\'re being watched.

Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Partial member (2003)
Spanish to English
Agree with Endre - especially due to the new rating system Aug 2, 2002

Quote:

A few reasons:

• Questions are often closed too quickly; in such cases comments can make a real difference to those who look up the question from the glossary later on.

• Adding comments in the form of new answers is not proper use of the system and makes if unnecessarily difficult to get an overview of all opinions.

• Agreeing for the sake of Brownies is only done by very few people, as it is much quicker and easier (and, of course, a bit more productive) to collect Brownies by adding a few entries to your glossaries.

• And finally: when giving an answer, you are free to turn off e-mail notification about comments. Most of the time, it is not difficult to anticipate which questions will draw lots of agrees - just disable notification in such cases.

I agree with Endre - perhaps not such a minority opinion. I\'ve often wanted to agree after a question has been posted and been unable to do so. If we\'re going to have a rating system based on peer agreement, I think it\'s important to be able to agree at any time. After all, the question may have been closed before anyone had a chance to agree/disagree, or the wrong answer (in your opinion) may have been chosen. The more opinions an answer gets, the more useful it\'ll be in the future when someone looks it up in the glossary.

And on the subject of glossary entries, when searching for terms myself, it\'s more helpful to see a list of terms entered (even if incorrect) than terms that haven\'t been entered, as it gives you a better idea of whether it\'s worth opening to have a look at the answers.

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-02 13:45 ]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

agrees after the closing of the question... can we stop this nuisance?

Advanced search

TMreserve
Wake up in the Morning and see that you have sold TMs and made Money overnight

The TM Market Place for Translators
New: Our Instant TM Download
TM owners: Upload your TMs into the online database
Customers: Analyse your text & instantly download a text-specific TM
Well over 1.2 BILLION translation units

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »

All of ProZ.com
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs