Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Empty profiles
Thread poster: Ines Cas (X)
Ines Cas (X)
Ines Cas (X)

Sep 16, 2005

I would like to make a suggestion.

I don't participate a lot in Proz, but I read the forums, which I find very useful, and I always have a look at Kudoz when I have some free time.

I have noticed (especially since the new Kudoz rules were implemented) that there are a lot of people asking 5 questions a day and their profiles are completely empty.
Some even ask 5 PRO questions a day and say they are not translators, which puzzles me a bit but that's another story
... See more
I would like to make a suggestion.

I don't participate a lot in Proz, but I read the forums, which I find very useful, and I always have a look at Kudoz when I have some free time.

I have noticed (especially since the new Kudoz rules were implemented) that there are a lot of people asking 5 questions a day and their profiles are completely empty.
Some even ask 5 PRO questions a day and say they are not translators, which puzzles me a bit but that's another story...
I would like to suggest that Proz sends an email to all the members saying that from now on they have to fill certain parts of their profile (at least native language, expertise, years of experience and country).
I am a member of another translators forum (I am not sure if I am allowed to mention the name), and they recently did this. They wrote to everyone asking in a very polite way for members to fill certain parts of their profiles, and the ones who didn't had their profile deleted, which in my opinion is fair enough really.
Most of us are professional translators/interpreters so why should there be empty profiles in Proz?

It's just a suggestion.

Keep up with the good work.

Ines
Collapse

Otilia Acosta
Otilia Acosta  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree with you Sep 16, 2005

Your are right. I think it makes no sense to have an empty profile, specially in a professional and popular place as Proz.com. I think your suggestion must be taken very seriously into account.

Ilde Grimaldi
Ilde Grimaldi  Identity Verified
Local time: 10:02
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
empty (=unidentified) profiles and double profiles should be forbidden for asking Kudoz Sep 16, 2005

Hi
now that there are limits implemented, empty (=unidentified) profiles and double profiles should be forbidden on Proz, at least for people asking Kudoz questions.
I'm in favour of the new rules about Kudoz questions (limited number etc.), but at the moment (after some weeks) the only result is that I do not answer anymore and can't/won't make any points in my main language pair as I refuse to answer questions from this unidentified new profiles which proliferated after 1th Septem
... See more
Hi
now that there are limits implemented, empty (=unidentified) profiles and double profiles should be forbidden on Proz, at least for people asking Kudoz questions.
I'm in favour of the new rules about Kudoz questions (limited number etc.), but at the moment (after some weeks) the only result is that I do not answer anymore and can't/won't make any points in my main language pair as I refuse to answer questions from this unidentified new profiles which proliferated after 1th September. In fact I think in this case it's not just helping a colleague (and receiving points), but just rewarding with our answers this people who are trying to circumvent the rules and making a fool of Proz community.
I think new criteria should be defined and applied for asker's profile created since 1st Semptember (or whatever was the date of introduction of Kudoz limits), otherwise it's just awkward and paralysing, you start receiving these questions from people which where not around before and you know why they have new names and (unidentified) profile, but the site allows them to work with their evident trick.

thank you and ciao
Ilde
Collapse

Ines Garcia Botana
Ines Garcia Botana  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
Double profiles Sep 16, 2005

Double profiles should be forbidden and also penalized, no matter who he/she is.

An email can be sent to the ones who do not provide information in their profiles, otherwise their profiles would be deleted.

If we are translators and interpreters what is the reason for not having our profiles completed?

Cheers!

Inés

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Empty profiles Sep 17, 2005

I got a sudden shudder of the "deja-vus" when reading the above posts.

Here is an extract from the first time I ever posted anything (2002) on a ProZ.com forum - dealing with, no prizes for the first to answer....."empty profiles".
==============================================================
http://www.proz.com/post/9284#9284

Member Confused newcomer Thread Poste
... See more
I got a sudden shudder of the "deja-vus" when reading the above posts.

Here is an extract from the first time I ever posted anything (2002) on a ProZ.com forum - dealing with, no prizes for the first to answer....."empty profiles".
==============================================================
http://www.proz.com/post/9284#9284

Member Confused newcomer Thread Poster: andycw
andycw
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Mar 6, 2002

"Secondly, there seems to be an obsession with empty profiles – many members are constantly recommending they all be summarily deleted (or perhaps after a short grace period). Why? From the discussions I’ve read, it seems materially impossible to keep troublesome people out, unless we all turn up at a given point on the globe on a given date wearing name tags and bring our respective diplomas, and certificates, and degrees, etc….No-No.

I thought (and this is probably where I’ve got it wrong) that the whole idea of the KudoZ system was professional, i.e. prove one’s knowledge and skills in x areas/languages in order to win jobs and professional “standing”. But what occurs when someone, like myself, who has no interest in obtaining more work, but does have a great interest in translation per se, and who tries to help when able and responds accordingly (politely) when helped, does not fill in a profile?

I should have thought the criterion for membership does not lie in how much a person reveals about him/herself.
Not that I’m bothered. Name Andy Watkinson (hello to any Liverpudlians), degree in Hispanic Studies, not two translation certificates to rub together, getting on for 28 years’ experience, currently in-house at major mgmt and technology consultancy, (which explains lack of interest in finding extra work), as if anyone’s really interested ….or makes anyone a “better” member.

No, I should have thought that the only valid “test” is that person’s contributions, his or her desire to help out other people who at 3.00 am are still on page 79/120 of “…and no clause hereof shall be interpreted or construed in a manner liable to….etc, etc…”.. and are at their wit’s end…

It seems obvious that there are even a FEW members (people whom many of you appear to know but are only referred to in “code”) whose profiles “verily overflow”, but who are quite capable of giving answers without reading the question first, who can’t spell and who are often rather rude – though not all three at the same time, I should hope….

I don’t get the obsession with the empty profiles. Enlightenment, please…."
===========================================================

Nothing much seems to have changed in this department.

My advice/suggestion would be:

Forget about the profile and look at the questions the person answers and asks.

That will tell you far more about them than any profile.

Andy
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
Spain
Dutch to English
+ ...
Hear, hear, Andy Sep 17, 2005

Why this obsession in wanting to classify everybody according to a given format? Translation is a free profession and ProZ is a place to meet. Our lives are regulated enough without us adding to it unnecessarily.

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
English to Spanish
+ ...
I agree, Inés Sep 17, 2005

I strongly support Ines`s Idea. She has explained it thoroughly and already given all the answers.
Walter

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree to the agree Sep 17, 2005

Walter Landesman wrote:

I strongly support Ines`s Idea. She has explained it thoroughly and already given all the answers.
Walter

It might take some time to complete a profile. You do not want to include a picture? Fine. But what's wrong with including some information like country of residence, native language, working pairs or a CV?

Now, about double profiles, can somebody explain to me what for somebody would have a double profile? To get more chances when bidding? I cannot think of any other reason, because if you tell me it is to get more agrees or points in KudoZ, I would burst into laughter!

My two cents

Andrea

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Hola Andrea Sep 17, 2005

"It might take some time to complete a profile. You do not want to include a picture? Fine. But what's wrong with including some information like country of residence, native language, working pairs or a CV?"

Except for the CV (which not everyone includes) all the other information is provided anyway.

I don't care if someone purports to have worked in XXX fields, have XXX diploma, have XXX years experience.
If they try to tell me that the "nuda propiedad" is the s
... See more
"It might take some time to complete a profile. You do not want to include a picture? Fine. But what's wrong with including some information like country of residence, native language, working pairs or a CV?"

Except for the CV (which not everyone includes) all the other information is provided anyway.

I don't care if someone purports to have worked in XXX fields, have XXX diploma, have XXX years experience.
If they try to tell me that the "nuda propiedad" is the same as "usufruct" they're obviously useless.

"Por sus respuestas los conoceréis"

Saludos,
Andy
Collapse

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

SITE LOCALIZER
Double profiles are not allowed Sep 17, 2005

Andrea Ali wrote:
Now, about double profiles, can somebody explain to me what for somebody would have a double profile?

If you know such case(s), please contact any moderator.
Thank you,
Natalia

Andrea Ali
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
I do not know of any Sep 18, 2005

Natalie wrote:

Andrea Ali wrote:
Now, about double profiles, can somebody explain to me what for somebody would have a double profile?

If you know such case(s), please contact any moderator.
Thank you,
Natalia

Hi, Natalie!

I was just thinking aloud and trying to figure out why would somebody have a double profile. That's all.

BTW, I always contact mods about KudoZ when I spot an "abuser", and I can be a real pain in the neck. If not, ask JL!

Cheers,
Andrea

Andrea Ali
Argentina
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Absolutely! Sep 18, 2005

andycw wrote:

If they try to tell me that the "nuda propiedad" is the same as "usufruct" they're obviously useless.

"Por sus respuestas los conoceréis"

Saludos,
Andy

Maybe I am curious? It is also nice to put a face to the name/nick behind the answer, especially to those who are far away and maybe you will never meet. Of course I am talking about nice and polite colleagues

I have read your posting "Confused newcomer" and it was nice to learn sth about you! I am allergic to cats

HugZ,
Andrea

Andy Watkinson
Spain
Catalan to English
+ ...
Hi Andrea. Sep 18, 2005

"I have read your posting "Confused newcomer" and it was nice to learn sth about you! I am allergic to cats"

That's a pity. Cats are a "translator's best friend".
They decide when you can work, which keys you hit and how much you should concentrate on your work.

Alas, I'm now a translator without a CAT or a cat.. But a couple of Belgian sheepdogs now keep me company.

But getting back
... See more
"I have read your posting "Confused newcomer" and it was nice to learn sth about you! I am allergic to cats"

That's a pity. Cats are a "translator's best friend".
They decide when you can work, which keys you hit and how much you should concentrate on your work.

Alas, I'm now a translator without a CAT or a cat.. But a couple of Belgian sheepdogs now keep me company.

But getting back to the question at hand.

Regarding empty profiles, it was another Andrea (Bullrich) who wrote the following in reply to that post from 3 years ago:

Andrea B: "The thing is, it only takes a few days, a month at most, to realize who's who and whose answers are worth even considering and whose are not."

She summed it up far better than I could.

HugZ y abrazoZ igualmente desde BCN.

Andy
Collapse

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 03:02
German to English
+ ...
To beat the Kudoz limits or get around previous bans? Sep 18, 2005

...seems logical to me...

Arthur Allmendinger
Arthur Allmendinger  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
possible reasons Sep 21, 2005

Walter Landesman wrote:
Now, about double profiles, can somebody explain to me what for somebody would have a double profile? To get more chances when bidding? I cannot think of any other reason, because if you tell me it is to get more agrees or points in KudoZ, I would burst into laughter!

The possible reasons for a second anonymous profile are:

-to ask more kudoz-questions or to give answers to own kudoz-questions and grade own answers

-to insult people in forums or kudoz and go away unpunished

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Empty profiles

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »