Andrei Albu
Romania
Local time: 23:36
Member (2002)
English to Romanian
+ ...
Oct 16, 2001

Dear Fellow Translators,

I wonder if there is a (technical) solution to avoid having ungraded KudoZ answers. Our language pair is probably not the only one where quite a number of the KudoZ answers shamefully remain ungraded. Can the moderators do anything about this? (By the way, how can we find our respective moderators?)Would it be possible to prevent \"culprits\" from posting further KudoZ questions if they constantly do not grade the answers? Your opinions on this matte
... See more
Dear Fellow Translators,

I wonder if there is a (technical) solution to avoid having ungraded KudoZ answers. Our language pair is probably not the only one where quite a number of the KudoZ answers shamefully remain ungraded. Can the moderators do anything about this? (By the way, how can we find our respective moderators?)Would it be possible to prevent \"culprits\" from posting further KudoZ questions if they constantly do not grade the answers? Your opinions on this matter will be appreciated.

Andrei

Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 16:36
SITE FOUNDER
Some steps already taken, more to come Oct 16, 2001

The following steps are already taken:

(1) A valid email is required to ask a question

(2) Grading reminders are sent 4 days, 6 days, 8 days and 12 days after a question is asked

(3) After two weeks, \"auto-grading\" is performed. If an answer has 2 \"net agrees\" (agrees-disagrees) from peers, it will automatically be given 4 KudoZ points. That means each member can help make sure questions are graded--by agreeing with correct answers.

(4) After 4 weeks,
... See more
The following steps are already taken:

(1) A valid email is required to ask a question

(2) Grading reminders are sent 4 days, 6 days, 8 days and 12 days after a question is asked

(3) After two weeks, \"auto-grading\" is performed. If an answer has 2 \"net agrees\" (agrees-disagrees) from peers, it will automatically be given 4 KudoZ points. That means each member can help make sure questions are graded--by agreeing with correct answers.

(4) After 4 weeks, in the absence of autogrades, moderators may grade, in cases where one answer is obviousbly correct and they have not proposed an answer themselves. (Many moderators do not feel it is their place to grade; ProZ.com\'s position is that it is better than nothing; at any rate, very few questions get graded by moderators.)

In addition, bulk reminders (with complete lists of ungraded questions) are periodically sent to the worst non-graders.

Future steps will include posting the number of still-open questions by an asker (so that answerers can avoid non-graders if they wish), or even blocking by IP address. We had done something along these lines at one point, but the function is not now operational.

And for those keeping track, the ungraded rate is now around 19%, down from about 1/3. The objective is to keep pushing this lower, as we increase the answered rate (now at about 96%.) 200-600 KudoZ questions are asked a day.
Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 16:36
English to Italian
+ ...
Negative Browniz Points Oct 20, 2001

This could be a way to achieve a better rate of \"cooperation\" from askers who don\'t grade, considering how important Browniz will be in bidding and perhaps in other functions of the site.

After all, askers are using the site and not giving points to other in return.

The negative Browniz would be cleared once the question is graded.

Autograding is an excellent idea, but we should remind participants to go grade answers from far back if we wish to cl
... See more
This could be a way to achieve a better rate of \"cooperation\" from askers who don\'t grade, considering how important Browniz will be in bidding and perhaps in other functions of the site.

After all, askers are using the site and not giving points to other in return.

The negative Browniz would be cleared once the question is graded.

Autograding is an excellent idea, but we should remind participants to go grade answers from far back if we wish to clear the backlog. I forgot: are browniz associated with peergrading?

Paola L M

Collapse

pzulaica
pzulaica
Local time: 13:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
will autograder be retroactive? Nov 5, 2001

I know that there are a bunch of us that performed an extensive research to answer a KudoZ question and even some colleagues agreed that we were right and unfortunately the askers never graded those questions, will the autograder grade all those old questions?

As someone stated in another posting there\'s the chance the autograder gives points to an incorrect answer, or at least a less suitable (it has happened to me even with askers, I got points for an answer I knew wasn\'
... See more
I know that there are a bunch of us that performed an extensive research to answer a KudoZ question and even some colleagues agreed that we were right and unfortunately the askers never graded those questions, will the autograder grade all those old questions?

As someone stated in another posting there\'s the chance the autograder gives points to an incorrect answer, or at least a less suitable (it has happened to me even with askers, I got points for an answer I knew wasn\'t the best one -once an asker gave me points for asking her if she had more context - ) that\'s why I posted in another forum - I believe - that there should be a way so one can decline self answers. I know that we can add comments and please ask not to bother reading our suggestion, but I think it would show a lot of education and etiquette if one can be mature enough to give credit to the person that really deserves it.

Thank you!

Paula
Collapse

Jon Zuber (X)
Jon Zuber (X)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Shouldn't the percentage of ungraded questions matter more than the number? Nov 16, 2001

I think if the \"worst offenders\" are to be cut off, and everyone\'s grading record is to be displayed along with questions, these things should be done on a percentage basis. Having 50 ungraded questions is not the same for someone who\'s been using KudoZ since day one as it is for someone who came in last week.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to prevent ungraded KudoZ answers?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »