https://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_suggestions/37291-best_way_to_present_final_translated_work.html

Best way to present final translated work
Thread poster: S K
S K
S K
Ireland
Local time: 02:03
French to English
+ ...
Sep 28, 2005

Hi there,
I am new to the site and wondered what the general consensus is regarding presenting of finished work to potential clients i.e what is considered a high quality presentation.
Is it displaying source and translation on the same document? Is it simply providing the target language translated work?
Any feedback would be great. thanks

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
If in doubt, ask the client Sep 28, 2005

In my experience it is very unusual to return both the source and translated text in the same document. You would be best off asking your client what he/she requires - and if the source text is required alongside the translation, then so be it.

In a nutshell, a translation should convey the meaning of the source text, and be presented in the same format/layout as the original. For longer documents it may well be impossible to produce a page-for-page translation, and again this is n
... See more
In my experience it is very unusual to return both the source and translated text in the same document. You would be best off asking your client what he/she requires - and if the source text is required alongside the translation, then so be it.

In a nutshell, a translation should convey the meaning of the source text, and be presented in the same format/layout as the original. For longer documents it may well be impossible to produce a page-for-page translation, and again this is not always expected.
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 19:03
German to English
Final translated work Sep 28, 2005

Dear Jana,
I think you misunderstood the question. Unless I'm mistaken, Siobhan is talking about "potential clients." This could involve sending sample translation work to clients for whom one would like to work.
Kim

Jana Teteris
Jana Teteris  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Latvian to English
+ ...
My mistake Sep 28, 2005

Sorry about that. I must have overlooked the word 'potential' - therefore please ignore most of what I said in my previous post.

If you are providing samples of your work, then it sounds like a good idea if you provide both source and target texts. As a suggestion, I would divide the page into 2 columns - source text on the LH side, and target on the right. Another method is to provide the source text on page 1 and
... See more
Sorry about that. I must have overlooked the word 'potential' - therefore please ignore most of what I said in my previous post.

If you are providing samples of your work, then it sounds like a good idea if you provide both source and target texts. As a suggestion, I would divide the page into 2 columns - source text on the LH side, and target on the right. Another method is to provide the source text on page 1 and target text on page 2. Basically, there is no right or wrong method, as long as your work is presented clearly and double-checked for errors.

HTH.

Kim Metzger wrote:

Dear Jana,
I think you misunderstood the question. Unless I'm mistaken, Siobhan is talking about "potential clients." This could involve sending sample translation work to clients for whom one would like to work.
Kim

Collapse

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Formatting variations Sep 29, 2005

You might find it useful to display your versatility in handling different formats and submit source and target samples in e.g. Word, PPT, HTML etc.

Remember you'd either need express permission from the client you did the respective job for, or you can choose information from the public domain (stating copyright) and prepare some sample work off your own bat.

Rgds
Chris

S K
S K
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Sep 29, 2005

Thanks guys,
All very useful,
Siobhan

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Perhaps consider PDF format Sep 29, 2005

Siobhan Kelly wrote:

Thanks guys,
All very useful,
Siobhan

Another thought: (If the text is printed on paper this is irrelevant.)
If it's an electronic document, consider having it in PDF format as this defines what it looks like. A Word document is not 100% defined. For example, if if uses a font that the recipient doesn't have and the font is not embedded in the document, the appearance on his computer won't be the same as on yours.
You can produce PDF files from word-processor documents by using the full Acrobat product, which has to be paid for (roughly 300 euro, I think), or there are a few free software applications that can do this. One is OpenOffice.org, which is an office suite (word processor, spreadsheet and more) that can export to the PDF format. You can download it (if you have broadband: it's too big for a modem in practice) or get the latest version from time to time in the CD accompanying various computer magazines.

Oliver

S K
S K
Ireland
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Brilliant!! Sep 29, 2005

Gee Oliver,
That's fantastic. I didn't realise about the fonts etc and had a problem with a client because some of the translation was apparently "missing". This could've been the real problem, because I checked and re-checked and couldn't find how they were missing it.

Textklick
Textklick  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Final passing thought Sep 30, 2005

Siobhan Kelly wrote:

Hi there,
I am new to the site...

Oliver's PDF suggestion makes sound sense. Another facility is the 'Portfolio' tab on your profile page.

Check mine to see your words mystically reappear..

To see the facility working really neatly, check Kim's portfolio.

Rgds
Chris

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Best way to present final translated work

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »